R129 Roll bar - works ok but warning lights on (?)

Talonneur

Reaction score
I have actually posted on this about 2 months or more ago, but need to look at it again with fresh eyes and also to raise the attention of Stats and Television who are clearly very switched on (no pun!)

I have a 1991 SL300-24. In March a new roof ECU was fitted to overcome a roof release snag. The problem with the roll bar is slight, it goes up and down with the switch as it should - however the amber warning light on the dash is lit continously, also the roll bar control switch itself flashes red constantly when the roll bar is selected down. Selecting the roll bar up extinguishes the red flashing lights in the switch, but not the amber light on the dash.

So far all I've done is to hold the roll bar switch down for 10 secs, then up for 10 secs - no change. The car is perfectly serviceable so I could live with this small problem - but it would be kind of nice to get it sorted.

I have carefully read the recent thread posted by ADP who's having a frustrating time with his SL320 roll bar snag - and the replies. Wondered if you guys who know this system would mind offering your thoughts? Any suggestions/ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
The system may just require the fault codes to be reset. If the lights are flashing it means that there is an internal fault with the roll bar though without a fault code list it could be anything. First thing to do would be to go and get all the codes cleared and operate the roof - see if any more codes appear. You can of course do this yourself - have a read here - there are a few posts about doing this on an R129.

Your early car has a seperate N53 roll bar module so is slightly different in operation.

davrum60

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270 cdi 2000
Hi, juat doing a google search and came up with this thread, which is pretty much my problem, I have a 96 sl280. i purchased the car with the fault , but everything works, i have done several resets using one of the icarsoft diagnostics units, when i have had battery issues, but cannot get the dash roll bar light to go out. as the mot is due has anyone any ideas please. my thanks in anticipation

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hi, juat doing a google search and came up with this thread, which is pretty much my problem, I have a 96 sl280. i purchased the car with the fault , but everything works, i have done several resets using one of the icarsoft diagnostics units, when i have had battery issues, but cannot get the dash roll bar light to go out. as the mot is due has anyone any ideas please. my thanks in anticipation
When you say you used an iCarsoft to reset it how exactly are you doing it? As far as I'm aware an iCarsoft isn't compatible to a 129.

davrum60

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270 cdi 2000
it has the round pin plug as an adaptor apart from that all went fine on 3 occasions , so more paid for itself

davrum60

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270 cdi 2000
the other thing i had to do was update the software on the unit, as initially iy was not listed in the vehicles it covered

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Never seen one of those adapters before and it's not showing in the icarsoft EU or US sites. Must have just been released I guess.
So did it find the roll over bar module as a separate entry?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Also, does the light flash? If so it will flash a number of times, pause then flash again. Count the flashes between pauses (there may be more than one sequence).

davrum60

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270 cdi 2000
Never seen one of those adapters before and it's not showing in the icarsoft EU or US sites. Must have just been released I guess.
So did it find the roll over bar module as a separate entry?
hi have had it about 9months now< not sure about the flashes will check tomorrow, no there isnt a separate one for the roll bar

WDB124066

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet X 2
The 124s are similar and suffer if battery voltage is low or alternator regulator is playing up. The regulator is replaceable on its own. Go with Genuine only IMO, and ask to see it before they install it, or supply it and maybe even fit it yourself. I did and they still put in a China one and very nearly burnt the old girl to the ground. Lesson learnt, leave them to themselves even if they are the indy Aston Martin, Bentley, Lamborghini, Merc bla bla bla experts. They are lying thieving cnts i.e. decent blokes by todays standards.

Check also the limit switches on the rear control arms they need to be set strictly IAW the book and for damaged cables to them, I assume you have them on the 129 as well. They tell the thing to operate in emergency - so are critical to have in good shape, if damaged I think they would throw a code at you i.e. flashing lights. In the 124 at least if you hold the manual switch on the dash up for several seconds the thing resets itself, check your hand book for 129 instructions.

Failing this try searching for 124 roll over bar issues, they are very, very similar units.

If you really get stuck come back on here and I'll have a search for the codes related to the roll bar on the 124 and I think I have the 129 ones as well but it will take some time to locate.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've been trying to find more info on this adapter as I'm not convinced it will read all modules.
I've also updated both my iCarsoft units and neither give me an option for r129 in the vehicle lists under Benz.

When you run your iCarsoft do you select Benz or Diagnose and does it give you a list of modules to read? For example RST (Roadster Soft Top), ABS, SRS etc?
Of do you just get an option to read codes without any modules selected.

davrum60

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270 cdi 2000
Hi thanks again for getting back to me, on the diagnostics the new software download allows me to bring up the R129 as a specific vehicle and run through the various component parts, soft top ets abs, etc and to clear the codes. However, roll bar is not mentioned. Having now had the chance to raise and lower the roll bar going down the light flashes and continues to do so all the time its down. going back up it doesnt flash , The dash board roll bar warning light stay illuminated, I have had 2 indys over obsensively to clear the error codes after the battery went flat and neither came up with any additional error codes.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does the light flash in a pattern with a gap between successive patterns or is it a continuous flashing?

davrum60

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270 cdi 2000
Hi just to be precise, this is the light on the roll bar switch

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom