R129 SL replacement speakers

JuniorSEC

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I don't have a Mercedes of my own ( yet! ), but have persuaded my Dad to join the Daimler Benz family and he is loving it. He is the proud owner of a 1994 R129 SL 320 in Blue Black. It is gorgeous, obviously. And I have had the pleasure of driving her twice. ( Roof up and roof down. )

There is a list of things that we want to do to bring her up to scratch and first to tackle is the non functioning speakers. I bought him some Alpine 16.5" speakers, thinking that they would fit, but learned that this wasn't the case when the door card was removed. So I called the local dealer and it was just as well that I was sitting down when he told me the price of replacements from Germany! Needless to say, I would rather try another avenue first.

Does anyone know of a replacement that will simply slot into place, using the existing securing holes? The OE ones don't look as though they are very good - the ones in his car are blown, so I don't know what they should sound like anyway.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,,one snag is the the speakers are a very low impedance mainly 1-2Ω
4Ω is the most common, and the power will be down on using this value. One answer is to change the speakers for the correct size and add an amp to it to compensate

OP
J

JuniorSEC

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Television.

I don't think that he will be too bothered about sound quality ( it will mostly be radio 4 on *yawn* ). Mainly just want to get sound - just need to know what I can buy that will fit the holes without making elaborate brackets etc. I am hoping that there is a direct fit replacement out there.

Cheers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just measure them and do a Web search and something will come up

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
By the way they are 6½"

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom