R170 second hand buy, serial numbers and hidden crash

tom1981

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK/2002/200k
Hi everyone,

So have posted on here a few times when looking for advice on searching for a second hand r170 SLK. I found what I thought was a good one, blokes wife's runaround. 2001. 55k miles (all added up in HPI check and in the service history) and from a dealer out in Essex. Haggled to a great price given Bodyworks has some rusty chips but now bubbling yet or dreadful arch rust (work to be done though). Paid £200 for a years mechanical warranty. Has new MOT but service was a few thousand miles ago in 2014. He said it was serviced effectively by them when they cleaned it up after sitting on a driveway for a year. New wheels etc.

SO... Car is pulling violently to the left. As in, take your hand off the wheel or pull up to a junction and brake and you can feel it/see the wheel turn.

Pay to get tracking done at the reputable local garage I always used. He asks had I not noticed the steering quality. I hadn't until recently but I have been poorly and not driven for two years and haven't really taken it out on the motorway at all yet. He showed me where the car has been resprayed and over welding around the engine. He reckons it's had a crash, been repaired without consulting insurance or DVLA and hopefully it's just the 4 wheel allignment hasn't been done.

I checked the serial number in the door and the boot again and I wanted to check I shouldn't be worried so wanted expert forum opinion please and have attached below. Keen to make sure this isn't a chop shop job. I have a mechanical warranty though I have yet to receive any email or warranty from the dealer. In an ideal world I don't have a twisted chassis or anything and I can get fixed on warranty or at my local place and it's still and investment. Crucially I don't trust the guys that sold it in this state to assess and fix problem and the sooner I know, the sooner I have to work out whether to try and demand my money back or not. I hope not. Here are the stickers in door sill and boot:

I appreciate any advice you guys can give. Thanks. Tom

https://flickr.com/photos/59673759@N04/sets/72157666775230862

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Sadly there is no way to check for us, I would visit an indie who knows the cars well

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
When did you buy it?

Can you not get it checked by an indie or a bodyshop (jig) for straightness.

If its recent purchase then give the garage a chance to take it back or take to trading standards.

Of course many cars are repaired without ever being registered, they only need to if seriously damaged. I remember a trip round the lotus factory and they were repairing damaged brand new cars which hadn't even left the factory yet!!!! Oh brother in law actually does this all the time for new cars in his job, as lots are damaged in the transit car parks etc.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom