R172 Licence Plate LED's

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
One of my Licence Plate lamps have gone which are LED units. I thought there would be a couple of screws to remove and it would drop out but no screws, no slots to poke a screwdriver up and release, they don't move sideways like repeaters do to unclip them and you can't get to the back of them without a bit of work by the looks of things. The link to some new ones on EBAY indicate they have some clips that expand out when pushed into place. So do I just hold my breath and wedge a screw driver in each side to disengage ?

20200122_121103.jpg

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I wouldn’t use a screwdriver as they leave marks on plastic. I’d get some trim tools in the side and try to pop it out.

Could just be a dry joint on the LED board once you get it out. (Or a wet joint of it’s been leaking...):rolleyes:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
My CLK licence plate lights had to be replaced, you had to remove the trim inside the boot to get access for removing them.

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The answer is a pallet knife.. I couldn't find my plastic tools, they are in a box somewhere with a load of computer tools for taking laptops and tablets apart. The slight recess is irritating but I smeared a bit of wax around the lamp and slid the pallet knife under and disengaged the plastic clips each side - easy peasy..

I swapped the 2 lamp assembly's over to make sure the problem was the LED as I had read here and there that the cable harness can get damaged where it enters the boot from the body. Luckily, mine was just the LED so I shall get a pair ordered up and keep a spare...

And the most important job : clean the pallet knife carefully and put in back in the kitchen drawer before the management gets back......:rolleyes:

philreed52

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
270clk
One of my Licence Plate lamps have gone which are LED units. I thought there would be a couple of screws to remove and it would drop out but no screws, no slots to poke a screwdriver up and release, they don't move sideways like repeaters do to unclip them and you can't get to the back of them without a bit of work by the looks of things. The link to some new ones on EBAY indicate they have some clips that expand out when pushed into place. So do I just hold my breath and wedge a screw driver in each side to disengage ?

View attachment 55285
Hi had similar issue with my MB ended up removing panel inside boot and plastic number plate holder to fit what looked like simple job.found this out on youtube .investigate further, as like you I was going to try screwdriver method too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

philreed52

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
270clk
Hi had similar issue with my MB ended up removing panel inside boot and plastic number plate holder to fit what looked like simple job.found this out on youtube .investigate further, as like you I was going to try screwdriver method too.

What a pain mot due in a few weeks and led numberplate light is flickering so just ordered a pair on ebay .last pair have lasted just under 2 years I suppose not bad for £12 ,not sure if I paid more they would last any longer .Well at least I know how to fix them this time !! Should not have tempted fate by saying I knew how to sort them lol

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What a pain mot due in a few weeks and led numberplate light is flickering so just ordered a pair on ebay .last pair have lasted just under 2 years I suppose not bad for £12 ,not sure if I paid more they would last any longer .Well at least I know how to fix them this time !! Should not have tempted fate by saying I knew how to sort them lol

I swapped both of mine in less than 2 minutes in the end using the aforementioned palette knife

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
In the days of normal tungsten bulbs I used to put a truck 24Volt bulb in the registration bulb holder. Never blew!

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom