R230 2003 SL500 - Boot opening

kevh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230) 2003 4966cc
Opening the boot on my 2003 SL500 requires a lot of effort. I suspect that the gas struts are at the end of their life and are not really offering any assistance to opening.

Can anyone please confirm that this is the most likely cause?

I don't want to pay MB prices for replacements, but at the same time I don't want to buy cheap nasty ones that either don't work or don't last long. I'd appreciate guidance here.

Thanks very much.

Regards,

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Opening the boot on my 2003 SL500 requires a lot of effort. I suspect that the gas struts are at the end of their life and are not really offering any assistance to opening.

Can anyone please confirm that this is the most likely cause?

I don't want to pay MB prices for replacements, but at the same time I don't want to buy cheap nasty ones that either don't work or don't last long. I'd appreciate guidance here.

Thanks very much.

Regards,

The only option is new MB ones, they are not that expensive (£40 each ?). Buying one only is a waste of time, you need two to get it up properly and keep it up.

Last edited:

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
also lubricate all joints in the boot hinges with silicone lube (that on its own might make a big enough difference)

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
also lubricate all joints in the boot hinges with silicone lube (that on its own might make a big enough difference)

I might give that a go, as mine feels a bit stiff.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
My boot struts had to be replaced after 9.5 years and 85k miles.

Heavy boot and the struts have to work hard.

Mic

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
My boot struts had to be replaced after 9.5 years and 85k miles.

Heavy boot and the struts have to work hard.

Mic

Interesting, mine were also 9 years old when they needed replacing, so that seems to be about how long they last.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Have these struts passed the test of time? They are very much cheaper than MB Dealer price. are they OEM?

Its worth a punt to DIY at this price

I've bought from them in the past - have had a pair on Thunderbird II for a good six years - no problems.

No idea who makes the OEM ones, but these are UK made & come with a two year warranty at a fraction of the MB price - bit of a no-brainer

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Struts either work or they do not, I replaced the faulty one on my SL some 8 years ago and the other one is still good. The length is critical, I never found an after market back then.

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
Thanks. they are £31.80 a pair. MB are £38.58 each! They are in stock as MB says they fit a lot of these!!Speaks volumes

I'm just waiting to see how much MB will charge to do the whole job as I'm there next week ...should be a hoot!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks. they are £31.80 a pair. MB are £38.58 each! They are in stock as MB says they fit a lot of these!!Speaks volumes

I'm just waiting to see how much MB will charge to do the whole job as I'm there next week ...should be a hoot!:rolleyes:

They take about 2½ minutes to change Steve ;)

OP
K

kevh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230) 2003 4966cc
Thanks to all contributors. I think I will have a go with the SGS ones.
Regards,

triumphstag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 (2002) R230
Don't forget to add the time to go and get the seat covers and mats, drive it into the workshop, wander round the stores looking for the parts, wander back to the car, the check it over, then do the work, then do the paperwork. Wouldn't surprise me if it was half an hour to an hours Labour.....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Very few charge for under 1 hours labour as they say it cost £100 to raise the paper work :( Where does all the money go. ???

You book the car in. that person has to file this. Someone has to look at the jobs in box. Someone has to decide what mechanic will do this job. OK person doing the job wanders around the car park to find the right car. The car is driven into the workshop, and the mechanic goes to stores to lean on window shelf to discus how his week end went. The part is found and mechanic walks back to the car. not done one before, over to the computer to check, and no instructions found. His first mistake will be to pull the circlips right off, but strut now off and boot lid will not stay open, so he calls for help so that someone can hold the boot lid open. Swearing with cut thumbs after pulling the circlips off he has now got the new one on and goes to the other side. That one got changed a little quicker. He now has to walk out side to put the old parts in the bin. He fills in the paper work and time sheet. Then he takes the car for a test drive to have a burger somewhere, and then park up in the waiting area. The service manager now fills the form in and sends it to accounts who do the final bill. You go to collect the car and the service guy has to find the bill and take payment.

After telling you that you 3 week old brakes pads are shot you are on your way.

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
Struts fitted this morning after some fiddling. They are a good fit BUT they are not exactly the same as the MB design as shown on SGS video of how to fit.

They have a drilled hole where a clip pin goes through and as they are not handed left/right so one of the drilled holes is at the back of the strut and very hard to get to.

One tip is that the strut cap must be pushed quite hard onto the ball until it clicks, then the pin can be fitted if you can locate the hole. Also close the pin clip up a little so it holds firm

Job now done and the boot lid is a lot better

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom