1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R230 Dual Battery On-board Electrical System

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by whitenemesis, Jan 15, 2014.

1. rorywquin

rorywquin Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2017 SL400 AMG Line

Hi thanks fo rteh information you have posted....do you by any chance have access to the R231 equivalent...probably the same but I suspect the battery format may be AGM and maintenance free for front as well. just want to be sure for charging.....

the parallel charging procedure at the end would be very useful as well.......my user manual says to connect charge leads to teh jump start points but I don't know which setting to use on my Ctek MXS 7 (10 years old and going strong)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  2. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    UnMercs BMW i8 Volvo XC90
    Rory, Whitenemesis isn’t seen on here these days- maybe Lost Kiwi will have the information you need

rorywquin likes this.
  3. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Afraid not John. I have plenty on R230 but very little on R231.

rorywquin and John Laidlaw like this.
  4. PHUNN

PHUNN Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 May 2008 5500cc 7G Auto Iridium Silver R230
    Replacement time!
    Confused about batteries...
    It's doubtless time for a new one because, after a LOT of reading I think mine could be the original, supplied with the car.
    For those 'in the know' this is the data detail shown on the battery, which says it is 'Mercedes-Benz Original'
    ( 12v 74 AH 680A (EN). A 000 982 31 08). I cannot completely decipher the age stamp on the Neg. Terminal, but it appears to contain '08'.
    The CTEC charger I acquired 12 months ago (many thanks for the recommendations from all forum contributors) works like a charm. The charger remains content to 'go through the motions' with the battery, but as the 'motions' are becoming rather frequent (weekly now) in order to avoid the 'Consumers unavailable' mantra, it seems prudent to retire the old battery.
    But the forum mentions an AGM as being the expected original equipment on an R230.
    This battery, I suspect, is not AGM. Did Merc change the specifications from AGM to Lead/Acid when the 'facelift' took place in 2008?
    So should I now replace with the same (lead/acid) type?
    And if so, how about getting a 'beefier' new battery, maybe with up to 100 A(mpere?) H(ours) always provided the dimensions remain the same?
    Thoughts and suggestions would be gratefully received.

And even more importantly: A very Merry Christmas and an extraordinarily Happy New Year to all our happy band of pilgrims...

5. PHUNN

PHUNN Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 May 2008 5500cc 7G Auto Iridium Silver R230
    Update.
    Many national battery outfits (Kwik, National and ATS) recommend the wrong size battery for the boot. Their websites all recommend a battery model with a 374mm length which will not fit.
    Found this website (maybe plagerised from our forum?!) https://www.dropbox.com/s/gnyd4fcvvuq05da/R230 Dual Battery System 11-28-02.pdf?dl=0
    It seems useful and certainly indicates an AGM battery is 'standard' even though that seems less 'powerful' than the (now failing) battery in my boot...
    The 'date' stamp on the Negative (black) terminal is actually 1312, so maybe the battery is 6+years old.
    Next!

6. Shoey

Shoey New Member

Your Mercedes:
    Mercedes SL350 55 reg
    Can anyone help me, the battery light with visit work shop came on today!
    I’ve checked battery and it’s good
    I’ve checked alternator and it’s only sending a charge to the back battery not the one under the bonnet,
    I’ve checked fuse in passenger footwell f52 and it’s good,
    Can anyone give me some idea please