R230 headlamp bulb replacement

Still Learning

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2007 gone. Porsche Boxster 2011
Following on from this thread: http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?p=952235#post952235 (thanks for the inspiration Corned) my bulbs arrived today.

They are 5000k 'upgrade' units from Autobulbs Direct - http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/HID-D2S-Gas-Discharge-Bulbs-5000K-Upgrade-pair.html

On the R230, the SBC unit obstructs the rear of the offside headlamp. This can necessitate partial removal of the bumper in order to gain access to the bottom headlamp securing bolt so the headlamp can be removed.

I managed to change the bulb without doing this:

Remove the plastic cover above the headlamp (pull out the 3 trim fixings)
Remove the 2 upper headlamp securing bolts (the 8mm ones, not the 17mm position adjusters)
Tilt the headlamp unit forward about half an inch. This gains valuable additional space and allows an extra torch beam to get in there
Remove the offside air intake pipe - just pull it off. This frees up a bit of elbow room
Practice removing and replacing the bulb on the nearside (easy) until you can do it with your eyes closed and at a similar crazy angle that will be needed for this one...
Remove the cover behind the bulb. Just let it drop, it won't go anywhere.
Now get your right hand as far into the gap as possible, use harsh language, remove the plug and twist off the securing ring (clockwise from the front).
Remove the bulb
Now having practiced on the nearside, orientate the new bulb in your hand and locate it into the holder. Do the same with the securing ring. This bit requires the harshest language - it will hurt as bones contort against various nasty sticky-out bits of steel.
Breath a sigh of relief when it clicks into place. Home straight.
Replace the plug and cover (easy after replacing the ring)
Replace the other bits

I've tried the lights in the garage and they are way brighter and whiter than my originals. Freezing fog tonight so I'll try it out properly and report back another time :cool:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom