R230 NIGHTMARES

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
ok . eventualy found out that puling the drain panel from the end and up .almost to the point of breaking it and it came out . for info there is a lip that enters down into a very tight slot at base of screen as oppossed to a u shape channel that is a push fit on the end of the glass i will get around to posting a picture, had that been the case on WIS i would have had the thing out yeserday
anyway found and fixed so far
B1467 M16/32 heat exchanger shut off valve
B1341 alarm horn
B1639 coolant level s41 and s42
I am waiting camera to have a further good look around then i will hook up battery and see suspect/hope some other faults are voltage low related. seen nothing specific on ABC as yet but have yet to work on check power at ABC MODULE tho i know it showed up on last quick test , access to anything is without a doubt,a ballache .
Great stuff! Just plug on through it all and you'll get there!

OP
ajlsl600

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
well. today saw battery at 14 volt put the washer bottle back in ,its a bit of a bitch. headlight and screen wash work but origional fault wont clear as its current and stored think the bottle level sensor shot so i hope it will go away when sensor changed , tho i cant see why coolant level showing faulty as well ,i cant see an issue there. got my camera so ran it along everywhere i could get it .
i put the arch liner back abc side as no issue seen but abc still on white, also sbc and esp show up as exclamation mark and message says no link established between diagnosis gateway and control unit..all sounds can related to me ??? question is where ??somewhere where esp,abc, and sbc can lines meet . i am slowly trying to work my way to a solution . another time i can ,quick test and esp and sbc show up as ok abc just does not..... on BNS it comes up as B1829 fuse for starter deffective ,but it starts just fine almost first crank parktronic also shows up as F on quick test but when opening the fault codes there are none??
its getting a little frustrating tho.
casting my mind back to the first test all four level sensors showed as faulty and the front left dropped to car too low when i first lowered the car off its blocks .then it locked at full height.
as per churchill, keep buggering on.

OP
ajlsl600

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

yr a star LK . tomorrow will jack up the back and check everything there before i start to look for where can lines bunch up i think that the reason i sometimes see all on quick test is because the high speed can is compromised somewhere and all the info cant get down to the laptop .what you think ? and do you know where the can lines bunch up as i am now convinced the issue is there .

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
CAN lines all go to the EIS from memory.

OP
ajlsl600

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CAN lines all go to the EIS from memory.

ok thanks. i see the wiring in the fuse boxes goes direct,in most cases ,thru the tunnel at fuse box base and is not open at its base. and i cant see any issue there , so doubt issue in interior of car ,but will have a look on wis looking location of EIS.

OP
ajlsl600

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
well todays developments
cant communicate with sbc or abc ? sbc passes on quick test ? but when you go to check faults it shows no link established between diagnosis gateway and control ,same as abc . i guess its saying no can, right?
BNS B1829 starter fuse deffective . no blown fuses and checked with meter as well. changed 50 and 40 amp fuse ,no change what the likely issue there???
NOW i also have battery displayed in the left guage in red and visit workshop on right guage ? how do i get rid of that? batt was slow charged and showed 14 v on test meter this am , how can this appear with full charged battery ?
d/s sam no faults shown
p/s sam fault related to s41 and s42 headlight cleaning, and coolant level indicator ,this i hope will go away when i get level indicator swith sensor one is half way up the washer bottle and the other below half way down the coolant tank
i have the lower dash panel cover out to try to test power and can connections , but i am sure nothing to do with interior wiring ,and i have pretty much exhausted exterr wirng check except fo the rear around abc valve block wiring and level sensors .i guess there are some can wiring around there ?
incidentaly the front sometimes moves down . tho i dont notice that from the switch .then for no apparent reason it goes back up to full height again with no input from me
still buggering on ,most of four days now all info and advise welcome
lk .i printed off yr can test paper. testing can. will be at that after i have a good look around the back end . i even lifted the main harness under windscreen and above trans tunnel ,a real B but i wanted to be sure as possible no issues around there .

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think all you can do is test the CAN connection to the ABC and SBC control units to see if CAN is functional. Failing that book a ferry to see Cole in Southampton!

OP
ajlsl600

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
lk ,you may be right, still plugging away . found another wire issue at rear abc valve block , as ussual its a bitch to get at but it is the first plug , frankly in the first instance i might splice unto the two wires external from the valve block in the fist bit of conduit just outside of the pipes, another inch of free harness i would be able to repair it without drama !! . i am fairly sure that will be abc resolved if so i will find the guy doing valve block seal kits ,cant see point in pulling valve block for wiring then later for seals but i do want to see abc working correctly prior to tearing valve block down and then wondering if another issue has been created ., then to look at can, where i just cant yet seee the issue. ..boy do i know more about this car and star now than a week ago . been busy around the place as well, cropping trees for firewood servicng mowers cleaning out garage , double external garage and tractor mower shed if i then CANT resolve can comms i will arrange to get it looked at, got to go to uk for mot at some point anyway there is NO sign that any rodent has been near engine related wiring, or inside the car ,in fairness to benz the interir seems well sealed , i have d.s lower cover out ,can see all electronics in there no wiring issue noted lets see what shows up after 2 sensors washer and coolant are replaced and abc rear wiring fixed before i put back any external covers i will p.wash waxoil and wd 40 everything i can see .

OP
ajlsl600

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
ajlsl600

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
well back to the car tommorow. i have been ,so far unable to find , the star issue, related to open or short circuit s41 ,s42 ,i i remember correctly. both the wiper wasther and headlight washer work on demand,as designed... i have power and earth as designed, i have to collect monday, washer bottle level indicator and coolant tank level indicator switch . and will see if any of those change the situation
what i cannot understand, if there is a short ,anywhere ,why can i not find a blown fuse ?
anyway, back to headscratching I am going square eyed looking at WIS for electrical diagrams showing fuse nu amp and wire colours . thats tomorrows challenge .

OP
ajlsl600

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How are you getting on with it Andy?

20 k today ,no malfunction on dash !! on star i dont have any abc issues or sbc comms issues ,i have an interior can issue in quick test to find ?? but everything works , cleaned loads of connections . .i sure know a lot more ,been on it for three weeks in between other jobs , broke 2 clips, spent 250 euro on clips, sensor x 2 and under bonnet sound proofing... will run it around for a few days then quick test again , what a bitch ,everything is to get off,out !!! lower screen plastic panel !!. still dont have grille out , followed wis , sure it will break , hindsight says secret is DONT rush . still looking ,correct 2 pin plug for rear abc lock valve , not exactly happy with soldered repair . still on for end of month ? rain ,clk sun SL BIG smiles this pm tho..

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
20 k today ,no malfunction on dash !! on star i dont have any abc issues or sbc comms issues ,i have an interior can issue in quick test to find ?? but everything works , cleaned loads of connections . .i sure know a lot more ,been on it for three weeks in between other jobs , broke 2 clips, spent 250 euro on clips, sensor x 2 and under bonnet sound proofing... will run it around for a few days then quick test again , what a bitch ,everything is to get off,out !!! lower screen plastic panel !!. still dont have grille out , followed wis , sure it will break , hindsight says secret is DONT rush . still looking ,correct 2 pin plug for rear abc lock valve , not exactly happy with soldered repair . still on for end of month ? rain ,clk sun SL BIG smiles this pm tho..
Cool - I'm definitely still on for the 17th/18th. I arrive quite early so if you need a hand I can help out if you want.

OP
ajlsl600

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cool - I'm definitely still on for the 17th/18th. I arrive quite early so if you need a hand I can help out if you want.

cheers , hope all still good by then , lots going on about the place, but will have further thought on interior can issues, its bizzare, everything works, i think it is implying that the system is running on the slower can side , if you have yr star ,bring it along, i am much interested in if it shows the same issue as mine ,meantime i will get square eyed agiain , let me have yr eta ,when you know it ,we will be about ...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ferry gets in about 7am at Caen from memory but don't worry I won't pop round that early!
I thought I might take the chance to see a few bits and bobs before heading over.

OP
ajlsl600

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ferry gets in about 7am at Caen from memory but don't worry I won't pop round that early!
I thought I might take the chance to see a few bits and bobs before heading over.

grand . memorial in caen worth a visit if you have not been ,and you will pass within a k of it , we see you around or just before lunch ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Probably just after unless you need a hand with anything?

OP
ajlsl600

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Probably just after unless you need a hand with anything?

grand . i just found an old post about corrosion on p.s SAM will test on star quick test to get a new base line then i will take a look at the SAM connections to see they are good , no water has got in during my time and the drain is clear , but i cannot rule ut an issue before my time, thoat 35 k miles it would be a surprise, and its been garaged for the whole of my ownership . .my one remaining issue on star is ... specified actual configuireation of CAN bus fault ... .right now, nothing NOT working and no malfunctions on display . i googled this and came up with a post on here showing p.s SAM terminals corroded.. the post did not seem to be clear that this error dissappeared after changing the p.s SAM . you know anything about this ? three drives out ,no issues

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom