R230 Options for radio / sat nav upgrade

mckcol

Reaction score
Hi

Just bought a 2005 SL500, lovely car! Sad to see the SLK go.

Surprised I have no aux in - in glove box, etc. I have a phone in the centre console, cd changer & sat nab unit in boot. There is no aux option in command menus.

So pretty poor in this day and age for iPhones, etc.

I have looked through threads here, adding to confusion, should be an aux in (defo isn't!), some very dated threads, etc.

I have seen pretty expensive add on units to replace cd changer - obviously an option, too expensive for upgrading a well out dated system.

Other option to replace whole head unit - any suggestions, simplicity for interconnecting with existing amp & speakers?

Cheers!

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Mic did a very nice upgrade on his 230. No doubt he can provide all the info.

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Do you have the TV option as well? If so, there should be an aux point to connect from - the option is there if you press Video on the Comand set from memory. You should then be able to run a cable to give you an aux in point. Not sure how easy it is to do though!

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Mics upgrade was 4 figures from memory .... you can always stick a viseeo unit in the phone holder in the armrest I believe but beyond that you are in for an expensive exercise I fear.... 2005 is 12 years ago tbh so don't think it's that bad really if you think about it ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Mics upgrade was 4 figures from memory .... you can always stick a viseeo unit in the phone holder in the armrest I believe but beyond that you are in for an expensive exercise I fear.... 2005 is 12 years ago tbh so don't think it's that bad really if you think about it ..

About £350-£500 for a Denison unit installed depending on what you want it to do.

That will allow you to use the Comand system controls as well.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I thought the issue was the optics on the amp? That's what drives the cost up ... not sure at what point the non optic amp came in though ...the denison won't work with optics I am sure .. could be wrong..

OP
M

mckcol

Reaction score
Do you have the TV option as well? If so, there should be an aux point to connect from - the option is there if you press Video on the Comand set from memory. You should then be able to run a cable to give you an aux in point. Not sure how easy it is to do though!

No tv, just audio & video (DVD)

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just checked Mics post on this via his album of costs .. he replaced his for £1771 ! So best check exactly what amp is there otherwise your costs could be high..

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Hi

Just bought a 2005 SL500, lovely car! Sad to see the SLK go.

Surprised I have no aux in - in glove box, etc. I have a phone in the centre console, cd changer & sat nab unit in boot. There is no aux option in command menus.

So pretty poor in this day and age for iPhones, etc.

I have looked through threads here, adding to confusion, should be an aux in (defo isn't!), some very dated threads, etc.

I have seen pretty expensive add on units to replace cd changer - obviously an option, too expensive for upgrading a well out dated system.

Other option to replace whole head unit - any suggestions, simplicity for interconnecting with existing amp & speakers?

Cheers!

A Dension gateway 500S will replace the CD changer and will give you ipod/USB in the car. There is no AUX option unless you have TV.

Replacing the head unit is very costly as all your speaker/antennna wiring is in the rear of the car not at the head unit. If you have Bose then you'll need a new amp aswell.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom