R230 PSE pump weirdness

ruffle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500/2003
Oh R230 gurus of this forum.... can you help?

Just as I'm thinking about getting an SL63 my SL500 (2003) has started playing PSE pump weirdness :(

The normal central locking, boot close problems. Pulling the 20 Amp fuse, which wasn't blown, reset it but then it all stopped working again.

I took the car to a local indy and they couldn't see the PSE pump on the CAN bus and told me I needed a new PSE unit at £985 :( :(

As the pump was only intermittent, I brought the car come and took out the PSE pump unit to have a look on the bench. There was no sign of corrosion or damaged components and putting 12V on the pump motor made it spin and suck/blow.

Reconnecting everything up again (including reconnecting the batteries) it all worked perfectly.

Two days later without the car being moved or started it was still working (central locking worked) but today it's all gone wrong again :( How on earth does this fail when the car's not been touched?

Does anyone have

a) any suggestions
or
b) a PSE controller board I could buy? (If I change the controller board does the car have to be 'taught' to recognise the replacement?)

I know the physical pump is working so I think it's something electrical/electronic; hence the idea of just putting in a controller from a unit that's blown it's pump vanes.

TIA

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
These things a re CAN controlled, a leak somewhere could cause it to turn off.

Do listen for how long the pump runs when locking, in the event of a seat fault the CAN normally turns that function off.

I do have a near on brand new pump programmed for comfort seats, I kept it as a spare when I had my 230

I might consider selling just the PCB, I have spare motors.

OP
R

ruffle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500/2003
Thanks Malcolm - as helpful as ever.

Would a seat leak cause the whole PSE unit to go 'off line'? I've only got the lumbar supports in the seats and they've never done anything I could detect.

Does the PSE get triggered by things when the car's idle?

It's curious that the Indy couldn't see the PSE unit at all when it was in it's failed state.... or perhaps they just make a mistake; no way of me telling.

I've had the fuse out for about an hour now - I'll go pop it back in, see if that resets it and listen to the pump when I engage the central locking.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A fault in the seats would only turn off the seat port, not the whole pump.

The pump is active as you wake the car up, ie opening a door

If a intermittent fault on the CAN side then the techie would not see the pump on STAR

OP
R

ruffle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500/2003
Could well be the CAN bus bit on the PSE pump unit then.

I seem to recall that there's a CAN bus 'hub' in the rear of the R230 - is the PSE pump the only thing it connects to? I assume not if it's a 'hub' and I'm thinking that without other faults showing it's unlikely to be that and more likely to be the controller inside the PSE unit.

Anyway - pulling the fuse didn't work :( I've disconnected both battery negatives and I'll see if it comes back to life in the morning but even if it does I can't really drive it very far as the fuel filler cap is locked by the PSE :(

In the meantime I've been googling and found these people:

http://www.ecutesting.com/catalogue/product/mercedes_sl-class_central_locking_pressurevacuum_pump_clp176879.html

They're quoting £250 to fix a PSE unit.

Anyone tried them?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think a few have, I do not know the results.

I am selling my complete pump for £400 or I will split it and sell the board

OP
R

ruffle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500/2003
Thanks for the offer Malcolm but I've just ordered a new one from Inchcape for 463 inc VAT (better than the 900+ my local Indy was quoting! although I think that included fitting.... but I'm getting quite good at whipping the damned thing in and out).

Reconnecting the batteries this AM had no effect so it's stopped talking altogether (fuse still not blown)..... which means she's parked up until I get a solution as there's naff all fuel in the car and I can't open the filler cap :(

I really hope a new PSE unit will fix it. I'll update this thread with the result.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Thanks for the offer Malcolm but I've just ordered a new one from Inchcape for 463 inc VAT (better than the 900+ my local Indy was quoting! although I think that included fitting.... but I'm getting quite good at whipping the damned thing in and out).

Reconnecting the batteries this AM had no effect so it's stopped talking altogether (fuse still not blown)..... which means she's parked up until I get a solution as there's naff all fuel in the car and I can't open the filler cap :(

I really hope a new PSE unit will fix it. I'll update this thread with the result.

There should be a manual release for the fuel flap in the boot, similar to the W202 below.

Dec
attachment.php

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There should be a manual release for the fuel flap in the boot, similar to the W202 below.

Dec
attachment.php

Not on the 230, I never had one, the folding roof gear is in the way

OP
R

ruffle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500/2003
Argghh!! Just got an email from Inchcape - Part No 2308000448 has been discontinued and the replacement is A2308000648...... which costs 717.12 ! Local M/B Dealer wants 802.80 :(

Weighing up the options..... (I *think* it's the electronics in the PSE unit but it could be something else) I've now packed up the PSE unit and it's on the way to ecutesting.com who say they can test it for 45 quid and/or repair for 250 quid. So I'll see what the results of that are.

Nothing's ever simple is it? :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You should have had the board from me, it was from a 2003 car where the pump motor packed up, it been sitting on my shelf for near on 4 years

OP
R

ruffle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500/2003
..and it gets worse :(

Just had ecutesting.com on the phone. They say that they can't 'see' anything wrong with my PSE unit but they can't fully test it as "their rig isn't set up for it" so it might be faulty PSE electronics or it might not.

Grrrrrrr...... I specifically asked them if they could fully test the PSE unit before I sent it to them :mad:

Ummmm.... Malcolm? How do I contact you? I tried sending a PM but your inbox is full.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I hope they did not charge you as I thought that they could do nothing with it

I will send you a PM

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent you a PM with my address

bazac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SL500
Hi guys i have the same problem exactly did you find what was causing it

thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Best to tell us what your problem is

bazac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SL500
exactly the same problem as the other guy reset the pump and it works fine for about 5 mins then stops if the car is running its ok for as long as the car is running, turn the car off leave it for 5 mins and the pump stops working again

Gary Green

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 SL 500
PSE Pumps are the bane of R230 owners lives, I have gone through two on a 2004 SL 500 with 52k on the clock.
If you don't have any joy with the repair, and Malcolm's is no longer available I know a chap who sells repaired/re-conditioned Pumps, happy to provide his details if required.
Good Luck !!
Gary

bazac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SL500
Thanks Gary
funny thing is i got home from work tonight tried the locking and its now been working fine for 24 hours ! when i rotate the Lumbar controls the pump stays silent doesnt run at all and the Lumbar doesnt work on either seat is the pump supposed to run or is there a reservoir somewhere all the pipes look good and there is no hissing . reset the errors using star and no more have logged up so far

Gary Green

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 SL 500
Hmmm, that's a question for Malcolm or David I am afraid.
Interesting issue however, such a pain in the rear end when they go wrong. I share your pain but look on the bright side at least your ABC and SBC pumps are working, mine went within a month of each other, had to mortgage the kids to pay for the replacements !!
Gary

Top Bottom