R230 rear window seal breaking trim

dannyfiveforty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2003
Yes that makes sense, so when you order a new plastic trim does it come with the sticky back adhesive already attached or is that another part number? If it is how did you attach?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to buy one to end up having to buy another or even get the dealer to install..

Thanks,

OP
D

Devonian

Reaction score
If I remember correctly it doesn't have any sticky backed adhesive and doesn't need any. It fixes by locating in small slots and sliding upwards and locks in place by a small nodule locating in a hole. So to remove you have to prise it away from the body where the locking nodule is and slide downwards. A bit difficult to explain but will be clear when you see the new piece of trim

bigfella70

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230
Hi folks , just found this thread after a bit of searching, have had this problem after asking my local Indy to remove the seal below the rear window and re seal (per the excellent tutorial elsewhere).

Opened my roof and alarmed to hear a snapping sound, turns out the offside trim broken as described in this thread.

Fifty odd quid to order a replacement trim. Hasn't been fitted yet but I'm anxious to avoid a repeat occurrence.

I notice that the old trim has some double sided tape behind it so I'm not sure if this is original and might explain the tendency to break if it's been off before and not put back on standard. Doesn't seem much clearance between where the bottom of the trim will sit and the rubber trim as the roof deploys open.

Any tips or advice gratefully received !

image.jpg1_21.jpg

Cheers ;-)

OP
D

Devonian

Reaction score
Hi Bigfella70, I never really got to the bottom of this (correctly) I think it is caused by the rear window trim being replaced in a fractionally different position than it was originally, if I were removing this again I would take a closer look. I overcame this snapping by removing a small amount of the bottom edge of the new trim to allow enough clearance

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I understand that these have been modified now, when you fit the new one, open the roof in small stages and stop if you see a problem, then any adjustments can be made.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
MY last SL had the discolouring issue so I removed these - mine too were stuck with double sided per your pic - seems they left the factory like that.

bigfella70

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230
Well, new trim has been fitted by garage and several test openings of the roof have apparently been completed with no issues. The new trim has been fitted and sits I'm told slightly further up to improve clearance. Will keep an eye on this and hopefully no repeat occurrences !!!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
seal

i did mine about a month ago , must have been lucky , i had no corrosion at all and i pretty much followed malcs guide , maybe you had a lot of sealer in the rear lower seal and did not get it squeezed out enough.under such circumstances maybe the rear of the lid was up a bit and caught yr trim. my motor sees little rain but i only had a very small drop or two getting in and thats now stopped altogether. great guide.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have done the rear window mod to about 20 cars and never had any problem in this catching anything, you can looses the hinge nuts and pull the boot lid back a few mm, the back end should be flush with the face of the rear lamps.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom