R230 SL 500 Leaking oil

Azkuma

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Yet another leaking problem with my SL and this time it's not water but oil.

I noticed a dark patch on the ground in front of the drivers wheel yesterday and thought this was related to the washer leak I reported in another thread.

Not so, as today after taking the car out for a spin I noticed a fresh damp patch as soon as I had stopped the car and switched off the engine. The patch, although very light, is worrying indeed because I dipped my finger in it to check that it was oil, and it is. :(

So it's located in from of the drivers wheel so I'm assuming a pump of some sort is loosing fluid which will eventually lead to a failure of some kind.

I'll call up my garage and tell them about this issue, but is there anything I can do in the meantime? Can anyone identify what is leaking by just looking at the location of the leak? The oil is a clear light oil but I don't know where it's from or what it's for so need the experts to assist. :confused:

I've attached a picture so you can see the dark patch on the ground from the leak, and the original leak in front of that one.

Thanks

Az

Attachments

• DSC_0056.jpg
    DSC_0056.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 46

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There is nothing on the ABC that side at the front, so an oil cooler pipe possibly leaking.

Raise the car to max height in the morning and you might see it, but there is the engine under tray covering all the engine and it might be running off the edge of the tray, you should see it from under the bonnet

OP
A

Azkuma

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Turned the car over this afternoon and raised it as you suggested to full height and left it running for a while, but didn't notice any leaking. Maybe I need to drive it for a while and then stop for the leak to happen.

Hmmmm......:neutral:

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
the front part of the undertray (at least on the passenger side) drops down quite easily - it's triangular in shape & you need to remove one (maybe two) screws at the front pointy end - after that, swing it down towards the wheel - if you do that you should be able to get a better idea where the oil's coming from

OP
A

Azkuma

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Ok, I'll try and see if I can do that on the driver's side.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
if nothing else, you can clean it & check the next day to see where the oil's coming from. You might even cut a bit of cardboard to shape & fit it into the tray to give a better pinpoint.

OP
A

Azkuma

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Ok so not managed to take the under tray off but after a short drive I can clearly see the oil dripping from the under tray, a clear blue oily fluid. What uses blue fluid?

Thanks

OP
A

Azkuma

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Ok so not managed to take the under tray off but after a short drive I can clearly see the oil dripping from the under tray, a clear blue oily fluid. What uses blue fluid?

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Antifreeeze, abc fluid maybe

Last edited:
OP
A

Azkuma

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Antifreeze isn't oily is it, so I'll assume it's the abc :-(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I always just spray engine cleaner over it all and rinse off, you will then see where it is coming from, could be gear box fluid from a cooler

OP
A

Azkuma

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Hey guys,

So my leak is definitely coming from the coolant system and I have a faulty secondary water pump unit, located front right under the tray, which is leaking, but it's not 'too' serious. 2308350264 Water Pump/Engine Auxiliary Water Pump is the part number/description and I'll get it fixed this week.

Cost of replacement is £127 + VAT, and total quoted fitted price by the guys down in Mitcham (http://www.mercservices.co.uk/contact_us.html) is £229.17 who kindly allowed me to come along to get the car up onto the ramp for a free inspection.

Cost Breakdown:
Pump - £127.00
Coolant - £8.17
Labour - £55.50 (time required is 45 minutes @ £92.5/h x 0.6 not cheap are they :shock:)
Total including VAT = 229.17

A quick check and that seems to be the only problem on my car, and I'll see if that can be done under warranty as it's not wear and tear. Result :)

Oh wait I've got a tyre that is now on the limit of tread and must be replaced, ok not a bad result but better than a fine of £1k if I get stopped.

Thanks for your replies and your assistance guys, it's appreciated.

Regards

Az

PS A shout out also to Andy @ WrightTechUK :) in Sidcup for calling me back this morning and also talking me through possibilities as I was frantically calling around Independents and being told no one had any space to see me till end of this week, or next week on first week in August. :shock:

Top Bottom