R230 SL rear screen leak?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I also suspect the C Pillar seals are leaky too but am not sure exactly which bit is the C Pillar?

C pillars are the metal sides to the rear window, water can run down the outside of the rubber seal at the bottom, and up the other side into the boot, usually landing up on the side of a load carrier. Most of the trouble here is where the is not sealed to the metal on the inside, by starting to open the roof and stop when the boot lid is open backwards they are facing you, and a matter of cleaning out any moss or rubbish and sealing the rubber all the way along as far as you can with the Loctite. It does not matter if it looks messy as no one can ever see it.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350
Television,
I've plucked up the courage to have a go at seal along the bottom of the rear window next weekend and have managed to rope my brother-in-law in to give me a hand as he has a lot more experience working on cars than I do and....he sold it to me in the first place so a bit of after sales service if you like lol. Just one question is it necessary to have roof prompted open to remove the seal,clean and silicone it as it looks to my inexperienced eye like that could be done with simply the boot open or ami missing something obvious and important?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Easier with the roof partially open as the nut are easier to get to and the over lapping parts. It is so easy to open part of the way, just have a piece of wood handy 12" long, open the roof till the top is open stop opening and turn off. in about 6 seconds the roof will fall forwards or backwards depending on how far you opened it, just pull it forward with the hood as in the pictures.

Cleanliness is the main thing here. Why not get some Gummi pledge and lubricate all the seals at the same time. Do not forget the C seals

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350
Well today was the big day.......
Afternoon spent removing,cleaning seal and metal base plate along bottom of rear screen. Then applied 2 silicone coats, one to inner seal and the other to metal base rail and refitted, pressing out excess sealant and wiping clean. Same done to C Pillars. Silicone lubricant applied twice to all roof seals - creaking much reduced.

Materials cost = Roof & Gutter Sealant £1.00

Now await Mother Nature's rain testing....

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good, as long as you did the c ones on the inside with the roof down and the boot open backwards as they are facing you.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just the way is should be, well done. :D

A4DJL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350/2004/3724
C pillars are the metal sides to the rear window, water can run down the outside of the rubber seal at the bottom, and up the other side into the boot, usually landing up on the side of a load carrier. Most of the trouble here is where the is not sealed to the metal on the inside, by starting to open the roof and stop when the boot lid is open backwards they are facing you, and a matter of cleaning out any moss or rubbish and sealing the rubber all the way along as far as you can with the Loctite. It does not matter if it looks messy as no one can ever see it.

Malcolm,
I have recently acquired a 2004 SL350 in reasonable condition and am enjoying driving it immensely. However, I am paranoid that water ingress will cause extensive (and expensive) damage to the various electrical systems in the car. I cannot help noticing that you are something of an expert in this field and wondered if there is any way I could make a private arrangement with you to perform the work on my car, or recommend someone who could do it to your standards. I would be prepared to travel a large distance to get the job done properly.
As a junior member of this forum, I believe I am unable to PM or E-Mail you until I have accumulated a reasonable number of posts - I can do this of course, but it seems like a bit of a waste of forum resources. If you see this post and can respond either directly or via this thread, I would be extremely grateful.
Kind regards
David

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom