R230 SL500 wind deflector replace or repair

Marchesini

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 R230 2002
Hi all,
I picked up my R230 SL500 last year and enjoyed a great summer with the top down. Over the winter, I began to tidy up the car as it was looking a bit tired.

First on my to do list was to refurb the wind deflector as the netting was looking more of a stone grey rather than the original black. Unfortunately, while attempting a rather too vigorous scrub, I managed to rip the net :(

I did find a German company ACPS-AUTOMOTIVE.COM, who would repair the net for approx €100. However, I never got round to shipping it to them and now they no longer offer the service. Gutted.

So, I'm now looking at options on getting my wind deflector repaired or replaced. Ebay originals are either super expensive or not in great condition. I'd also much rather not go for the copies as they seem to fit the car differently to the original version.

Has anybody managed to repair their own deflector or come up with a better solution?

Thx

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL 500 2003 M113 5.0l
Hi all,
I picked up my R230 SL500 last year and enjoyed a great summer with the top down. Over the winter, I began to tidy up the car as it was looking a bit tired.

First on my to do list was to refurb the wind deflector as the netting was looking more of a stone grey rather than the original black. Unfortunately, while attempting a rather too vigorous scrub, I managed to rip the net :(

I did find a German company ACPS-AUTOMOTIVE.COM, who would repair the net for approx €100. However, I never got round to shipping it to them and now they no longer offer the service. Gutted.

So, I'm now looking at options on getting my wind deflector repaired or replaced. Ebay originals are either super expensive or not in great condition. I'd also much rather not go for the copies as they seem to fit the car differently to the original version.

Has anybody managed to repair their own deflector or come up with a better solution?

Thx
I'd try asking local car trimmers but again it won't be cheap. On a DIY basis you should be able to do something to make it functional but maybe not looking original.
I took mine off completely and don't miss it at all. . Its in perfect condition but even so spoils the look of the car to me.

OP
M

Marchesini

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 R230 2002
I'd try asking local car trimmers but again it won't be cheap. On a DIY basis you should be able to do something to make it functional but maybe not looking original.
I took mine off completely and don't miss it at all. . Its in perfect condition but even so spoils the look of the car to me.

From what I’ve read / seen, no-one has successfully done a diy repair so I’m loath to take mine apart and find i can’t put it back together again.

So, if you’re not that keen on yours, are you interested in selling my your one?

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
yes - it's on ebay as of yesterday - £200 (post included)

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't want to sell it, thanks anyway. I don't like it but it's part of the car so needs to stay with it I think.

OP
M

Marchesini

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 R230 2002
I don't want to sell it, thanks anyway. I don't like it but it's part of the car so needs to stay with it I think.
No worries. Completely understand. I have a garage full of motorbike / car stuff that I’ve never felt the need to sell - even though the cars and bikes have long gone

OP
M

Marchesini

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 R230 2002
Unfortunately, it appears that a DIY solution is a dead end. I’ll try and find an upholsterer and see how that pans out.

Mine does work but it’s just tatty so I’ll just keep an eye out on eBay. Looking at past sales, they do come up from time to time at realistic prices so I think that’s the plan going forward.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Don't know if this would work on a 230?

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't know if this would work on a 230?
I just looked at my R230 one. Its not the same as the one in the video. The mesh appears to be pushed into a groove. It looks like it might be possible to replace the mesh but obviously you don't know till you try.. I would happily have a go at fixing one up.
By the way I was losing the will to live after the first five minutes of that video.

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
It should be possible to fit new mesh to the r230 one, the deflector is held together with tiny screws so the frame must come apart. Some screws look like Allan keys and some are flat head.

OP
M

Marchesini

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 R230 2002
I think I’m encouraged to try but slightly worried that it won’t go back together again if I take it apart. What I find most strange is that it’s a very common issue and no-one has documented a repair.

Has anyone got any ideas on where I can get some mesh to try it out. If I do it, I’ll make a YouTube video, get a trillion hits and retire on the ad revenue

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I did the one on our Spider a good number of years ago. I got the mash off ebay, still got some left but not enough to do another deflector.
It wasn't a 100% success as on the spider one it pushed inside the frame and was hard to keep the tension on it without help. It still did the job, and you had to look closely to notice the mesh was a little lose.

OP
M

Marchesini

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 R230 2002
I’ve been trying to sort out this and saw this advertised so I made further enquiries. I asked if they had any videos / photos of an install on an R230 and unsurprisingly, they said no. I think I’ll pass on this as mine is functional at the moment but doesn’t look great. I really don’t want to remove mine and then find it won’t go back together again.

I’ve seen a few for sale on eBay but I’m not going to be paying £300 for a second hand item.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES...rentrq:7d60f29116a0aaa321caaf5afff8e571|iid:1

OP
M

Marchesini

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 R230 2002
Another update. I checked in with a local upholsterer and it was a complete no-go area for him. I also watched the video again and decided against taking mine apart as it still functions great - it just doesn't look great. So I bit the bullet and managed to source an (almost) brand new one on eBay for £150. It doesn't look like it's ever been on the car so hopefully, the mesh won't have been weakened by age or years of rays. Now onto the next item on my to-do list - wheel refurb :)

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom