R230 SL55 Boot Lid wont open

d.sloan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL55AMG, R129SL
Did a stupid thing this morning!
Disconnected aux battery to set about replacing discs and pads all round and foolishly closed the boot. Not to worry I thought, will use the blade key. Lock turns fine but can’t open boot with the latch! Seems like the mechanism is bust.
Is there anywhere I can power the car up under the bonnet using a large ctek charger/supply?
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
The boot lid isn't the easiest thing to do with the key - once you have turned the key, you need to hold it in that position & turn the handle with the other hand

OP
D

d.sloan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL55AMG, R129SL
Thanks David,

Have just tried again with both keys following your advice but unfortunately it still will not open. Struggling to think of what else to do. I have seen some posts suggesting drilling holes in the boot lid behind the number plate but I am not keen on doing that!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Thanks David,

Have just tried again with both keys following your advice but unfortunately it still will not open. Struggling to think of what else to do. I have seen some posts suggesting drilling holes in the boot lid behind the number plate but I am not keen on doing that!
Really don’t do that!!!

OP
D

d.sloan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL55AMG, R129SL
No I won’t!!
I guess I have been lucky so far - 14 years of r230’s without a cock up like this!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
No I won’t!!
I guess I have been lucky so far - 14 years of r230’s without a cock up like this!
Spray some wd40 using the small tube into the lock mechanism

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks - I have tried this. The lock turns freely but the handle/latch doesn’t work.
And up into the handle a few times , moving the handle backwards and forwards 30 times , they gunge up with all the road dirt . It recently got my E class boot Handle working .

OP
D

d.sloan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL55AMG, R129SL
And up into the handle a few times , moving the handle backwards and forwards 30 times , they gunge up with all the road dirt . It recently got my E class boot Handle working .
Thanks very much.
The handle is quite free but I have just been into the garage and given it another soaking of wd40 and worked the handle as you suggested. No joy as yet but will leave it overnight and see what happen in the morning.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks very much.
The handle is quite free but I have just been into the garage and given it another soaking of wd40 and worked the handle as you suggested. No joy as yet but will leave it overnight and see what happen in the morning.
Good luck , that's me used up as far as advice goes .

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Did you try taking out the pneumatic pump fuse momentarily then reinstating? It’s under the hatch which fuse box is behind the drivers seat on the back load area IIRC
I’ll see if I still have a fuse chart if you don’t have one
Alternatively I’m sure I read somewhere on here in the past (or maybe from Malcolm can’t remember) that you can access the boot switch through the 3rd brake light?
Better than drilling holes for sure
Hopefully someone with a better memory can confirm
Edit: just re read your original post- the convenience battery is disconnected so forget the PSE fuse bit! Might work after you get in mechanically but doesn’t help now sorry!
Fuse map is attached though just in case you need it

Attachments

• r230fusemap.pdf
    481.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
OP
D

d.sloan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL55AMG, R129SL
Thanks everyone for all the help. Still no joy this morning.

Given that my PSE is fine and central lock works fine when aux battery connected, is there any way I can connect a power source to the auxilliary circuit under the bonnet?

Also dare I start the car with the aux battery disconnected or will this cause problems i.e sbc brakes inoperative?

Thanks
Dave

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
We did one last week. opened it thru the 3rd brake light.
Is the brake light removable from the outside without breaking it? Might be worth giving the OP some instructions on this method.

The only other way of getting into the boot is via the lock and key.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Unfortunately no, it has to be broken. If the key is not operating to the failsafe position, then you might be able to power up the front Sam.

OP
D

d.sloan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL55AMG, R129SL
Unfortunately no, it has to be broken. If the key is not operating to the failsafe position, then you might be able to power up the front Sam.
Thanks very much.

I am a little worried about messing up the electrics so I think its probably best for me to go in through the rear brake light - at least that should limit the damage to the car to just the light unit.

Is there any method to adopt to get it out or is it just a case of drilling and removing carefully piece by piece.

Thanks for your help.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
The red reflector is only bonded to the body of the lamp, drill a hole and break it away with pliers.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
The third light is about £100 to buy, give MB Grangemouth a call if you need one, they give good value. ;)

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom