R230 Water Leaks - Drivers Footwell

Lowe712131

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 / Aston Martin DB9 Volante
A bit better weather on Sunday (and a few minutes spare!) gave me the chance to look into the water leaks in my SL55. I was happy at first to find the boot leak is MOST likely to be the 3rd brake light (although the rear screen and C pillar seals still need doing as well, and will be in the warmer weather), so I have taped it up for now and ordered a replacement. No problem there.
The one of concern though, is the drivers footwell - it is very damp under the mat and seems to be the main culprit for the fogged up windows. This kinda tallies with the CANbus errors I'm experiencing, as I suspect water damage to the connector X30/16 under the floor (non-drying contact cleaner purchased and at the ready, Malcolm - thanks!)
Malcolm - you mentioned heater drain flaps before - do you have any pictures or a description where these are please? Do I take the arch liner out of drivers side front wheel well? I've not noticed any dripping from the door seal in the rain and the top of the mat wasn't wet, just underneath, so it points towards the front of the car somewhere. Would appreciate any ideas, thanks
Simon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Remove the rear section of the nearside front wheel arch liner and you will see the triangle shaped spout from the heater box drain, cut the ears/flaps off so that its open, and clean it out, that will solve it.

OP
L

Lowe712131

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 / Aston Martin DB9 Volante
Thanks for replies, and the link, much appreciated.
Latest STAR printout showed several modules not communicating on CANbus, and they are all connected to X30/16, hence my doubts about its integrity. Sounds like a fairly common problem, fingers crossed its that simple. Thanks again.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for replies, and the link, much appreciated.
Latest STAR printout showed several modules not communicating on CANbus, and they are all connected to X30/16, hence my doubts about its integrity. Sounds like a fairly common problem, fingers crossed its that simple. Thanks again.

When those CAN plugs get wet they will miss read, the carry no current and the only way is to take out the plugs, they are only kept in order to make identification easier and spray them all with a non drying switch cleaner.

I have all the voltages for the CAN and wake up and I pretty well know it all off by heart if you need any info on testing.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
maybe

I have in the past had problems with water in my footwell .The car was not a Mercedes . But it as been it both cars i had, And it can be problem in any make. Try looking behind the door cards to see if the membrane ,or plastic cover they fit over holes in the door is in place .If it is not, then water can get in ,though these holes ,run down and get in over the sill . You may think this is not the way its getting in .But you have nothing to loose only half an hour to remove it.The last piece of door lineing is pushed inside the lower apature of the door.Any water thats getting in though the door to window seal will if the membrane is not in the right place run in to the car.And not in to the door bottom to run out.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have in the past had problems with water in my footwell .The car was not a Mercedes . But it as been it both cars i had, And it can be problem in any make. Try looking behind the door cards to see if the membrane ,or plastic cover they fit over holes in the door is in place .If it is not, then water can get in ,though these holes ,run down and get in over the sill . You may think this is not the way its getting in .But you have nothing to loose only half an hour to remove it.The last piece of door lineing is pushed inside the lower apature of the door.Any water thats getting in though the door to window seal will if the membrane is not in the right place run in to the car.And not in to the door bottom to run out.

On all the Mercedes cars that I know the inner sill is actually higher than the outer one, and I doubt very much if water gets in via the doors.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom