R231 - any feedback or help?

Nemo20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Previously owned SL500
Hi all
It's been a while since I popped in. I've tried searching the forum, but sadly the search function isn't working for me. I can't even search to see if the search function is a known problem, as I can't search! :D

Anyhow. I have a 2005 SL500. She's getting on and it's time to buy something newer. I know the newer R230 was a facelift model, so I need to move up to an R231 I believe?

That's a big leap in monetry terms, so I'm not sure I can justify the extra. I've toyed with the idea of a BMW 1 series M135i for a while, perhaps waiting for the R231 to drop in price a little, but maybe it could depreciate as much as the R231 so I wouldn't gain much by waiting?! The other factor is the BMW recall and risk of fires is worrying although I have no idea if that model is in the recall.

So can anyone guide me through the differences between models in this newer version? 350/400/500/AMG etc? If you've had an SL500 what would you look to replace it with?

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
I have the R231 SL500 (upfront so you can be aware of any possible bias)!

When buying I looked into the models, reviews and industry reports quite thoroughly before purchasing and test drive the SL400 and SL500.

I dismissed the SL350 as it was only out for the first year and was lacking performance according to motoring press and Mercedes which is why they quickly replaced it with the SL400 (to address the criticisms).

The SL400 is very good and on paper quicker than the R230 SL500, however it is only a V6 and I really wanted a proper V8, I had my eye on an SL63 but unfortunately they come with Active suspension and I did not want the running expense of the R230 model!

The R231 SL500 is as quick as the R230 SL63 to 60 so might be what you are looking for if you want a V8, performance and reasonable running costs (30mpg on a run).

So far (touching wood) the car had been 100% reliable and only cost has been servicing (£50 p/m) 2 years including service B, A and plug and gearbox oil change.

Some prefer the R231 facelift look (drilled front grill from 2016), mine has cooled (ventilated) and heated seats with Airscarf. Cooled seats do not do much but heated and Airscarf good.

The optional tinting sunroof a bit of an expensive gimmick but fun if included foc.

Whichever you opt for the Smartroof module is a must as it allows you to open and close the roof up to 25 mph (if it rains) and disables the stop start each drive..

Mercedes SL500 R231

Last edited:
OP
Nemo20

Nemo20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Previously owned SL500
Thanks, that's really helpful.

Monday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL400 2016, CLS350 2020
Hi all
It's been a while since I popped in. I've tried searching the forum, but sadly the search function isn't working for me. I can't even search to see if the search function is a known problem, as I can't search! :D

Anyhow. I have a 2005 SL500. She's getting on and it's time to buy something newer. I know the newer R230 was a facelift model, so I need to move up to an R231 I believe?

That's a big leap in monetry terms, so I'm not sure I can justify the extra. I've toyed with the idea of a BMW 1 series M135i for a while, perhaps waiting for the R231 to drop in price a little, but maybe it could depreciate as much as the R231 so I wouldn't gain much by waiting?! The other factor is the BMW recall and risk of fires is worrying although I have no idea if that model is in the recall.

So can anyone guide me through the differences between models in this newer version? 350/400/500/AMG etc? If you've had an SL500 what would you look to replace it with?

I have an R231 SL400, a pre-facelift model. I was able to get it in dark blue, a colour that was dropped on the facelift. I replaced a 2007 SL350 for similar reasons to yourself. Very pleased with it, it’s the same grand tourer but a different car to the R230 in terms of reliability. MB seem to have taken the well-known R230 bugs on board and simplified the electrical system. I used to keep the SL350 on a trickle charger, especially over the winter but I have left the SL400 for over a month without a charger and no issues.
It is all aluminium (except for some stiffening round the windscreen)and the draft guard pops up at the touch of a button.

Fortunately MB have still not added keyless go to this model but you do have stop/start to contend with. In performance terms the SL400 is plenty fast enough for me but,yes, the SL500 is always going to have an attraction. ABC suspension is an option on the R231 SL500 rather than being standard as it was on the R230 version so you can get a car without it (probably lots of them!) if it bothers you.

Basically the R231 is a natural development of the R230 and a much better car IMHO.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
I have an R231 SL400, a pre-facelift model. I was able to get it in dark blue, a colour that was dropped on the facelift. I replaced a 2007 SL350 for similar reasons to yourself. Very pleased with it, it’s the same grand tourer but a different car to the R230 in terms of reliability. MB seem to have taken the well-known R230 bugs on board and simplified the electrical system. I used to keep the SL350 on a trickle charger, especially over the winter but I have left the SL400 for over a month without a charger and no issues.
It is all aluminium (except for some stiffening round the windscreen)and the draft guard pops up at the touch of a button.

Fortunately MB have still not added keyless go to this model but you do have stop/start to contend with. In performance terms the SL400 is plenty fast enough for me but,yes, the SL500 is always going to have an attraction. ABC suspension is an option on the R231 SL500 rather than being standard as it was on the R230 version so you can get a car without it (probably lots of them!) if it bothers you.

Basically the R231 is a natural development of the R230 and a much better car IMHO.
Smartop takes care of the stop/start, almost forgot it is still in the car!

Mercedes SL500 R231

OP
Nemo20

Nemo20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Previously owned SL500
So it all sounds very promising apart from two factors. Looking at my options currently, the models I might go for are probably a bit more than I want to spend right now as they are that much newer than where I'm at now, but also there are so many black and white ones out there. No offence to those with black or white cars but it's not my choice of colour for an SL. My current car is a lovely shade of silver and my everyday car, so I need to try and co-ordinate the sale and purchase within a reasonably short time. It's not as easy as it should be when you decide to change cars, but then there aren't hundreds of thousands of SLs out there to choose from!

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
So it all sounds very promising apart from two factors. Looking at my options currently, the models I might go for are probably a bit more than I want to spend right now as they are that much newer than where I'm at now, but also there are so many black and white ones out there. No offence to those with black or white cars but it's not my choice of colour for an SL. My current car is a lovely shade of silver and my everyday car, so I need to try and co-ordinate the sale and purchase within a reasonably short time. It's not as easy as it should be when you decide to change cars, but then there aren't hundreds of thousands of SLs out there to choose from!
It is all very subjective, personally silver to me is a mass production company car colour (probably because it is so popular for hiding dirt and favoured by fleets), you are correct most R231 owners prefer black or white to show off the lines and highly polished they look superb, also many tend to be 2nd weekend/sunny day cars so stay clean.

Blue seems to be 3rd most popular followed by red but silver for the R231 are quite rare.

I guess a garage px might be easier for you.

Here are a couple of examples how black can look;-).
4e041241596e06f5f343c1a14a6eb19d.jpg
604f14b53e3416306990b880859547e1.jpg
04e11cbd2426b1cbe6e98087a8388b8a.jpg
72aa9da378ddf9e981e132a5b0c21c53.jpg

Mercedes SL500 R231

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
My 2p.
Buy the facelift version - they will have sorted all the grumbles from the pre-facelift.
ABC, air-scarf, popup wind deflector - get them.
Other options - you decide
SmatrtTop (after market extra) - not strictly needed as you can open / close the roof while moving (but can only start either process from standstill). However, I had a SmartTop on my SLK and miss it (mainly for the one touch and remote opening and closing) & will be ordering one soon.
V6 vs V8 - your call on how badly you need the V8 sound and extra (unneeded) grunt. Handling is better on the V6 as all the extra weight of the V8 is on the front wheels (not my opinion here - before buying mine, I did hours of research (over about a 6 month period living alone in a hotel in the ME) and read (and YouTubed) every comparison, of the two, that I could find and everyone preferred the V6 handling.
I don't worry about mpg, but if you care, the V6 will be better.

Happy hunting!

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It is all very subjective, personally silver to me is a mass production company car colour (probably because it is so popular for hiding dirt and favoured by fleets), you are correct most R231 owners prefer black or white to show off the lines and highly polished they look superb, also many tend to be 2nd weekend/sunny day cars so stay clean.

Blue seems to be 3rd most popular followed by red but silver for the R231 are quite rare.

I guess a garage px might be easier for you.

Here are a couple of examples how black can look;-).
4e041241596e06f5f343c1a14a6eb19d.jpg
604f14b53e3416306990b880859547e1.jpg
04e11cbd2426b1cbe6e98087a8388b8a.jpg
72aa9da378ddf9e981e132a5b0c21c53.jpg

Mercedes SL500 R231
That's some impressive parking :rolleyes:

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
That's some impressive parking :rolleyes:
Thank you but which one are you referring to, the private carpark or the double yellows when I was dropping off my disabled wife ;-).

Mercedes SL500 R231

OP
Nemo20

Nemo20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Previously owned SL500
Thanks. Really appreciate the benefit of those that have put the research in. Very nice sl500amgsport, I don't deny, but I'm not a huge fan of car washing and with no garage (two other cars belonging to the OH are in storage there), it'll get dirty quick. I guess I'm just a hide the dirt sort of girl. ;) Good to know that I am also looking for something that's quite rare in terms of colour :( so more decisions to put into the thinking pot. I doubt I'll do a px; I never have yet, but it will mean sourcing the new car first before selling.

Rorywquin, having run the SL500 for nearly 7 years now, then mpg is not something I worry about. :D There have certainly been much bigger bills than the petrol to worry about! OH wants the V8 more than I do (he's just greedy as he has his own V8 now!), but I'll need to drive both probably before making a final decision.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Thanks. Really appreciate the benefit of those that have put the research in. Very nice sl500amgsport, I don't deny, but I'm not a huge fan of car washing and with no garage (two other cars belonging to the OH are in storage there), it'll get dirty quick. I guess I'm just a hide the dirt sort of girl. ;) Good to know that I am also looking for something that's quite rare in terms of colour :( so more decisions to put into the thinking pot. I doubt I'll do a px; I never have yet, but it will mean sourcing the new car first before selling.

Rorywquin, having run the SL500 for nearly 7 years now, then mpg is not something I worry about. :D There have certainly been much bigger bills than the petrol to worry about! OH wants the V8 more than I do (he's just greedy as he has his own V8 now!), but I'll need to drive both probably before making a final decision.
Avoid the ABC if you can or as it ages expensive Bills will loom (just do an R230 search on here) to see how ruinous it can be. Only the AMG has it standard and not many select it as an option due to cost.

I did not experience much handling difference between the 400 and 500 with my real world test drive, just the V8 had more grunt/torque feel.

Mercedes SL500 R231

OP
Nemo20

Nemo20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Previously owned SL500
Yes I know all about the ABC as my current SL has it. It's a bit nail biting!

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Avoid the ABC if you can or as it ages expensive Bills will loom (just do an R230 search on here) to see how ruinous it can be. Only the AMG has it standard and not many select it as an option due to cost.

I did not experience much handling difference between the 400 and 500 with my real world test drive, just the V8 had more grunt/torque feel.

Mercedes SL500 R231

"I did not experience much handling difference between the 400 and 500 with my real world test drive, just the V8 had more grunt/torque feel" --

The experienced motoring journalists noticed the handling difference!!

How many reports have you seen of R231 ABC problems?

They are going on 7 years old now!

Not sure that MB would have carried known R230 issues into the R231 and then the R231 facelift......

Because the now ageing R230 series (nearly 20 years old) had ABC issues does not make it follow that R231 will be the same.

OP
Nemo20

Nemo20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Previously owned SL500
"I did not experience much handling difference between the 400 and 500 with my real world test drive, just the V8 had more grunt/torque feel" --

I guess that's the point; most of us aren't experienced motoring journalists. ;) That's not to say there's nothing noticeable but it very much depends on your style of driving and what opportunities you get during the test drive. Most drives I've been on have been pretty tame.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014

How many reports have you seen of R231 ABC problems?

They are going on 7 years old now!

Not sure that MB would have carried known R230 issues into the R231 and then the R231 facelift......

Because the now ageing R230 series (nearly 20 years old) had ABC issues does not make it follow that R231 will be the same.
Interesting, just took another look, Car Magazine stated;-

"We’re testing the box-fresh SL400 V6, which replaces 350 as the range entry point. A kind of retirement present on the cheap for those whose nest-egg hasn’t blossomed enough to bag a V8 or V12.

Merc’s SL range now starts with a car capable of passing sixty in five seconds, which leaves you wondering why you’d bother with an SL500 for £10k more.

Refinement, boulevard manners

This is an all-new V6 and we wonder if the direct injection may be responsible for some very un-SL-like grumble at start-up. It’s distinctly rattly and clattery and at odds with the whole Merc roadster vibe.
Once underway it’s more refined, but despite the lure of 30mpg in daily driving, we found ourselves on occasion pining for the SL500 with its unimpeachable V8.

If you can afford £72,500 for a V6, the extra monthly payments for two more cylinders might be worth the stretch."

Piston Heads

"If you can get over the lack of cylinders under that long bonnet the SL400 is a really rather nice thing too. The new twin-turbo V6 is deliciously smooth and revvy and much more enthusiastic than the functional old 3.5. It pulls with as much vigour as you'd ever want out of an SL too, the extra torque and its early arrival to the party really turning the waft up to quite invigorating levels.

[http://images]There's a bit more 'leicht' in sport leicht now

You can't help but feel a V8 would be more appropriate though. And you can still have one, also twin turbocharged and with 435hp. But it'll cost you another £10K."

Auto Express

Engines

In terms of 'on-paper' performance, there isn’t a huge amount to choose between the four twin-turbo Mercedes SL engines. The SL 400 will get to 62mph in 4.9s, then it’s 4.3s for the SL 500, 4.1s for the Mercedes-AMG SL 63 and 4.0s flat for the V12 SL 65. All are limited to 155mph.

Image 4 of 27
[https://cdn1]

Image 4 of 27

The justification for the sizable £100,000 price increase from SL 400 to SL 65 lies in the power and torque on offer. Where the SL 400 has 362bhp and 500Nm, the V8 SL 500 ups this to 449bhp and 700Nm. Beyond that, the Mercedes-AMG magic touch gives the SL 63 577bhp and 900Nm, while the SL 65 gets 621bhp and a nice round 1,000Nm. Enough to pull a house down.
You’re paying for the massive extra flexibility these power and torque increments offer and the potential to hit top speeds on the far side of the 180mph barrier when the speed limiter is disengaged and track conditions allow. Plenty of SL buyers will see that as money well spent.

Top Gear

Our choice from the range

This is the one we'd pick...

[https://www]

Mercedes-Benz

SL 500 2dr Auto [AMG Sport Pack]

£88,350

31mpg

4.60s

435bhp

212g/km

VIEW FULL SPEC

Mercedes SL500 R231

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Well done with your detailed research. If I could be ar$$ed, I could find as many reviews to prove my point on handling....I've obviously touched a nerve .. apologies

If you read my initial post I never said anything bad about a V8 except about the handling being not as good as the V6. If you know anything about high-performance driving, you will know that the extra weight on the front wheels is going to impact the balance of the car and therefore handling. If you are just a right foot in the corner straight line (rev it a the red light) driver, then clearly those things will not matter.

I've owned several V8 cars in my life and love the V8 (but didn't need to scratch that itch). I wanted a nice tourer for Europe etc. & don't want / need a V8 for that.

Fortunately I'm not invested in convincing myself that I made the "right" buy with the V6. The OP asked for input on the range and as a 400 facelift owner, I provided feedback as requested which, you elected to knock down

You say ABC is a problem - why? Because you do not have it?

Last edited:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I guess that's the point; most of us aren't experienced motoring journalists. ;) That's not to say there's nothing noticeable but it very much depends on your style of driving and what opportunities you get during the test drive. Most drives I've been on have been pretty tame.

Yes "horses for courses". I live in the country with many lovely twisty roads and when I tour, I always take the "scenic routes"! I had my car on a racetrack when it was 4 weeks old!

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Well done with your detailed research. If I could be ar$$ed, I could find as many reviews to prove my point on handling....I've obviously touched a nerve .. apologies

If you read my initial post I never said anything bad about a V8 except about the handling being not as good as the V6. If you know anything about high-performance driving, you will know that the extra weight on the front wheels is going to impact the balance of the car and therefore handling. If you are just a right foot in the corner straight line (rev it a the red light) driver, then clearly those things will not matter.

I've owned several V8 cars in my life and love the V8 (but didn't need to scratch that itch). I wanted a nice tourer for Europe etc. & don't want / need a V8 for that.

Fortunately I'm not invested in convincing myself that I made the "right" buy with the V6. The OP asked for input on the range and as a 400 facelift owner, I provided feedback as requested which, you elected to knock down

You say ABC is a problem - why? Because you do not have it?
Very fortunate

Mercedes SL500 R231

d:class automotive are specialists in automotive interiors and upholstery. From Mercedes and modern cars to custom and classics. Tel: 01483 722923 Email:info@dclass.co.ukWeb:www.dclass.co.uk
Top Bottom