Radio signal

CycleSi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG with F1 Performance Pack
l've suddenly got a slightly crackle/hiss/bit of interference on the radio in my SL55 AMG over the last few days. lt doesn't matter what radio station l listen to, it's there in the background. Could the aerial lead have become a bit loose?

What can l check for?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Your antenna is built into the front screen, if the reception is OK with engine not running, the it could be the start of a leaky SAM, a night mare to find. If it is bad with the engine off then the amp in the left hand side of the boot could be faulty

OP
C

CycleSi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
l thought the aerial was on the rear n/s wing?

OP
C

CycleSi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok - so l've learnt something new there. Thanks.

l'll try what you suggest with the engine off in that case, although l'm not sure if l know what a "leaky SAM" is?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
SL 230,s are funny beast in respect of the FM performance, you can drive out one day and the FM is all lovely, the next day it can be quite noisy with what would appear to be a low signal and crackles. The antenna system is very poor being in the front screen above all of the engine electronics.

Re the crackles and SAMs there are data buses floating around the car all the time, plus if the car has been standing, then the rear battery is being charged flat out.

Weak antenna's and signals show up worse on a stereo signals as the the pilot tone generator causes the hiss to be louder.
I am going to try out DAB in mine very shortly

OP
C

CycleSi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The DAB idea sounds very interesting. Let me know how it goes and what system/unit you choose to go with.

Thanks again.....

Top Bottom