RE: Several malfunction warnings all at once

AndrewCS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class W169 A150 manual 2006 - 55k
Greetings,

Yesterday morning was not a good motoring day. I started up my (2005 W169 180 Cdi Auto) and it sounded a bit of a struggle at the first turn. It has been parked up for a couple of days, it’s been really cold and lots of flooding, wet roads. I live out in the country.

I reversed about 5 meters to turn out the parking and stopped to go forward. On selecting the D position the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. First was - Transmission visit workshop error, with three other errors – ABS faulty visit workshop, ESP faulty visit workshop and BAS faulty visit workshop.

So the car was immobile but with engine running and revving okay. I let the car heat up for a few minutes and switched off the ignition, left it for a few minutes and restarted (started fine) and now only three malfunctions came up (no Transmission visit workshop error) and was able to drive round to park just outside my house, left it running and about 5 minutes later switched off, re-started and the Transmission visit workshop error came back and couldn’t select gear. Switched off and after a few minutes re-started again and back to only three malfunctions came up (no Transmission visit workshop error). So with a deep breath I took off on a 35 mile journey and the car was okay (in terms of transmission). Drove back again in the afternoon – no problems (in terms of transmission) and still with the three other malfunctions.

Car is booked in tomorrow for diagnostics.

I am seriously hoping that it is nothing serious.

Any input appreciated and TIA for the same

Andy

OP
A

AndrewCS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Battery on its last legs perhaps? It does seem that a lot of cars these days are very sensitive to low voltage batteries .... :confused:

That makes sense - I'm going to head into town later to have the battery tested. It did feel a bit sluggish as it started first thing yesterday but was fine in the afternoon (excepting the 3 other warnings).

Cheers

OP
A

AndrewCS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wouldn't it be great if the dash lit up with the message, 'Low voltage, check battery.' Instead we get a catastrophe indicator suggesting everything is faulty.

You're singing my song ! I'm not ruling out some sensor or something the likes just yet

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Battery on its last legs perhaps? It does seem that a lot of cars these days are very sensitive to low voltage batteries .... :confused:
Probably this, but could be faulty alternator as well. They don't make batteries like they used to , blah blah , whining OG chunters on....

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
Similar with my CLK. Always started, instruments, lights etc not working. New battery solved the problem.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have a look at Forrera page and check his YouTube videos - he knows everything there's to know about W168 / W169 / W245.

Also on Forrera's advice, with regards to CVT - I never shift the transmission into gear, until the revs drop below 1000rpm - usually takes a minute, two max when it's really cold.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Had a similar thing happen with the ML, seems that batteries now can have enough power to start the engine but not necessarily enough to power all the other gubbins, anyway fitted a new battery and normal service was resumed.

OP
A

AndrewCS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update:

Took my car to my Indi garage yesterday and he hooked up the diagnostics. First time there were a lot of codes stored so he wiped them.

Second run it came back with front driver’s side ABS sensor. The agents wanted £70 for the sensor but garage managed to order 1 for third of the price so waiting for it to arrive to fit.

What do you think? Could the ABS sensor cause these other malfunctions / codes?

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
yes. because your abs sensor is also your speed sensor- go figure

OP
A

AndrewCS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Update:

Took my car to my Indi garage yesterday and he hooked up the diagnostics. First time there were a lot of codes stored so he wiped them.

Second run it came back with front driver’s side ABS sensor. The agents wanted £70 for the sensor but garage managed to order 1 for third of the price so waiting for it to arrive to fit.

What do you think? Could the ABS sensor cause these other malfunctions / codes?
What did he say about the battery ?

OP
A

AndrewCS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update:

I had the battery tested this afternoon and the reading was that it is at 100 %

OP
A

AndrewCS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update:

My car went into the garage today to install the ABS / speed sensor on driver side / front.

I am happy to say that after installation and wiping the error codes that there are now no malfunction codes showing.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Update:

My car went into the garage today to install the ABS / speed sensor on driver side / front.

I am happy to say that after installation and wiping the error codes that there are now no malfunction codes showing.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
Back in the game buddy :D

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

they were always sensitive, its just in the good old days if it started and the alternator light noticed it was going round, there was little record of the event.....

now a few nasty / basic computers have a temper tantrum and want to advertise the fact they are having a bad hair day... even storing a load of meaningless mumbo jumbo the garage can use to put the frighteners on and the service costs up

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
@AndrewCS

I'm also getting weird happenings when I use Waze on Apple Carplay. It seems to disable "lane departure assist" and warnings if I want to change lanes and there is a car in the way, and one or two other things. Will be doing further investigation tomorrow

Top Bottom