Ready For An S Class ?

gordonwd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E220CDi Executive SE & 2017 SL400 AMG
So after nine years of reliable service, my rusting old heap of a W210 (E300 TD) is finally annoying the hell out of me and I've seen a fair few S320CDi's on the market for credit-crunch prices.

If I make the jump, can I expect similar maintenance costs or am I taking a leap into a different world of eye-watering bills? Models I've seen are around 4/5 years old and about the 60k miles mark.

Any thoughts ?

David

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Nice cars David,get one built from 03-03 on and you will not look back. Sure they are more complicated with the air suspension, if in doubt about that why not a 211 a very nice car too, but not so expensive if you are unlucky

OP
gordonwd

gordonwd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks TV. There seem to be very few 211's around (at least the 320CDi version) while there seem to be quite a few of the 220's (all of them really nicely appointed with lots of toys). Main worry is the Wikipedia reference to the Consumer Reports article about the 220 being "poor" as far as reliability is concerned.

Hmmm.

Nice cars David,get one built from 03-03 on and you will not look back. Sure they are more complicated with the air suspension, if in doubt about that why not a 211 a very nice car too, but not so expensive if you are unlucky

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
The 211 can have air suspension as well,Check before you buy!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
OK the 221 is a top rated car, but much more expensive than the 220

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
It may be worth waiting until after the budget as darling Alastair may bung you a couple of grand to change.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
So after nine years of reliable service, my rusting old heap of a W210 (E300 TD) is finally annoying the hell out of me and I've seen a fair few S320CDi's on the market for credit-crunch prices.

If I make the jump, can I expect similar maintenance costs or am I taking a leap into a different world of eye-watering bills? Models I've seen are around 4/5 years old and about the 60k miles mark. David

Hi David,

Notwithstanding PeterCLK's point on timing, I would encourage you towards the W220 S 320 CDI. I bought one a couple of years ago and have been delighted. As you say, there are planty around with good spec and modest mileage.

Most have COMAND - if you don't need or want that, a car without it would be rather cheaper (because most people want COMAND on that model) - but might be harder to find?

Spec which is very good to have includes Xenons (the halogens fitted as standard are very modest) and Parktronic - it is a big car even in standard wheelbase, and the rear is a long way away when parking (it will overhang most parking bays, so don't judge by where the front is in relation to the bays).

Other than that, economy is excellent for a big car - the comfort you learn to live with. Isn't every car that comfortable?

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
It may be worth waiting until after the budget as darling Alastair may bung you a couple of grand to change.

Only if he opts for a 1yr old or younger snotbox to replace his older nicer MB.

A 211 is nice car and potentially less troublesome than a 220 and very comfy etc. There are also more diesel choices with 270cdi's 220cdi's and 280cdi's too.

OP
gordonwd

gordonwd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Isn't the scrappage scheme only likely to be against new cars ?

Gonzo

Reaction score

If I make the jump, can I expect similar maintenance costs or am I taking a leap into a different world of eye-watering bills? Models I've seen are around 4/5 years old and about the 60k miles mark.

Any thoughts ?

David

If your interested, I have a S320 CDI first reg dec 02, genuine 52,000 miles, two new front wings fitted by mercs, fsh, all mots.........9 k, you could buy cheaper, but not better, if interested pm me or give e-mail

Last edited:

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Isn't the scrappage scheme only likely to be against new cars ?

Yes, cars under 1yr old and bought from a dealer. I think they have to emit less than 160g/km CO2 so anything nice is quite frankly out of the question. The government doesn't want to give you a nice Sl500 with £2k off it.

kheath74

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/1989/300CE
I bought a 2002 W220 CDI two months ago and apart from an air con issue the car has been fantastic, super comfortable, Comand is awesome and I got one with all the toys bar Distronic. The Parktronic is great and well worth having although I have to admit my favourite is the auto opening boot, love that!

Anyway I would recommend one, I love the presence and history of the marque when I am driving, mine was 9K for 110K but I do have 19" alloys, Brabus bodykit and fridge etc so it was pretty loaded.

Shop about and get the best one, you will not look back!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom