Really Thick Question here

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score
In which order did the various "Trim" options come for the 95 / 02 E Class

Yer know...."Elegance, Avantgrade Ect ect"

& whats the difference between them all (Options wise)

Lets take mine fer instance E 240................

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
Hello,
Classic,some toys,Elegance,some more toys,Avantgarde,loads of toys.
Specs changed with model years,I think.

Regards,
Nick.

Dave Brooker

Reaction score
In which order did the various "Trim" options come for the 95 / 02 E Class

Yer know...."Elegance, Avantgrade Ect ect"

& whats the difference between them all (Options wise)

Lets take mine fer instance E 240................

Classic - base model, no chrome trim on the bumpers

Elegance - next up chrome trim better spec

Avantgarde - nicer still, better wheels - blue tint glass etc

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Don't forget:
Classic 15" steel wheels
Elegance 15" alloy wheels.
Avantgarde 16" alloy wheels, with lower and stiffer suspension. (Glass could be blue or green tint I think.) Different grill (more chrome slats, without mesh).

OP
The Hooded Claw

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score
Cheers Fellas,

Always wondered what was what & where!!!!

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Not sure its right though.
The spec of the 211 avantgarde is better than the elegance due to the standard xenons but on the 210 there was no difference in the spec between the 2.
The differences were down to bias. So, the Avantgarde got different wheels and lower suspension to give it a more sporty stance and handing. The wood was black instead of brown and the glass was blue instead of brown. Not an upgrade as such, just a different style of trim. The front grill was also different.
From memory, they were the same price unlike the 211 where the avantgarde was a few hundred more, denoting the higher spec.
In terms of toys though, they were identical.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
The spec of the 211 Avantgarde is better than the elegance due to the standard xenons but on the 210 there was no difference in the spec between the 2.
The differences were down to bias. So, the Avantgarde got different wheels and lower suspension to give it a more sporty stance and handing. The wood was black instead of brown and the glass was blue instead of brown. Not an upgrade as such, just a different style of trim. The front grill was also different.
From memory, they were the same price unlike the 211 where the Avantgarde was a few hundred more, denoting the higher spec.

On the 211, the Xenons are standard, as stated, and are probably the biggest differentiating factor in everyday (or everynight!) use. The AG also has part leather, so if you upgrade to full leather that is less expensive than in the Classic or Elegance, where you start from scratch.

I had a driver's window smashed on my 211 and it was interesting the time and trouble that autoglass took, even outside office hours, to ensure that they had the correct colour of glass. Worth being punctilious over this if you ever suffer the same fate, as the difference between the tints would be very obvious if the wrong one was fitted.

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
This seems to cover it.

From The Sunday Times January 1, 2004

Mercedes-Benz E-class.Jason Dawe .

The E-class comes in three trim levels: Classic, Elegance and Avantgarde. The Classic is the most basic, with steel wheels and plastic steering wheel, although it does have electric windows and some wood trim on the dashboard. The Elegance model has alloy wheels, leather steering wheel, burr walnut veneer and an electric sunroof. The Avantgardes were aimed at the sporty driver, with stiffened suspension, 16in AMG alloys and a dark wood interior.

The Elegance and Avantgarde models sold in the biggest numbers, but it was not until June 1998 that air-conditioning became standard across the range. Most Mercedes are fitted with optional extras, so check the car thoroughly to find out what it’s got.
Regards,
Nick

OP
The Hooded Claw

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score
The spec of the 211 avantgarde is better than the elegance due to the standard xenons but on the 210 there was no difference in the spec between the 2.
From memory, they were the same price unlike the 211 where the avantgarde was a few hundred more, denoting the higher spec.

Now see, I thought that as well, (which is why I posted this thread in the first place) & from memory MB "face-lifted" the 210 in late '99 giving it an up dated dash readout, steering wheel controls & rain senitive wipers ect

anyone with a "unface-lifted" Elegance (pre Nov '99) can you post what "cabin" gismo's you have please ??

Last edited:

Collos

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class coupe panorama
According to a rep from MB apart from fleet cars there are no to truly identical E class models in the world hard to believe at first but given the options available not suprising.

edenp7

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s350d 2016 ,E220 2009 , E300TD 1998
Thanks found this useful

mbestate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s210 300TD 1998
Now see, I thought that as well, (which is why I posted this thread in the first place) & from memory MB "face-lifted" the 210 in late '99 giving it an up dated dash readout, steering wheel controls & rain senitive wipers ect

anyone with a "unface-lifted" Elegance (pre Nov '99) can you post what "cabin" gismo's you have please ??

I have a 1998 E300TD Estate Elegence 5-speed auto (S210 pre facelift).

It has in the "cabin":

Rain sensitive intermittant front wiper
Wood dash
Leather steering wheel (not adjustable - strange but not a problem as both front seats have loads of manual adjustments)
fantastic Blaupunkt MP68 head and A05 autochanger
Manual Air Con
ASR switch
Standard and Winter auto switch
green tints
all elec windows
elec folding mirrors
no sunroof (thankfully because I don't like them)
obligatory rust in the correct places (tailgate handle / front wings / front sub frame cross member)
1 pre-glow gone
drop links replaced
gives good derv mileage
runs and drives nice
rear bumper insert slightly different colour to rest of car?

Does this help?

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom