Rear brake simple care idea - Drivetrain

Stucoupe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200k 54 W203 Coupe
Being new here today, I cannot post in the Drivetrain section; but the following might give an idea or two to some people. I posted this last year on the Benzworld forum, after finding my W203 rear calipers seemed to be sticking and giving odd pad wear. Turns out the piston was fine.

My rear pads wore oddly. Taking them apart to install new pads, I found the reason why. Basically the pads have a buldge on the side of them, where they sit in a curved metal guide - all part of the caliper. Well, due to nobody taking them apart for 4 years, and the peculiar design, the little blighters had rusted up.

Now Merc would probably want to guide you down the route of buying new calipers. I was lucky to catch these early enough and managed to emery-paper sand off the light rusting debris (that was stopping the pads from sliding properly). Then I simply added copper-slip VERY carefully to the sliders. Its such a simple job, its worth taking 1 hour of your weekend to check.

Hope this helps at least one person

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
If you wish to discuss this thread pls post replies here

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom