rear defrost.

280wagon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jeep grand cherokee, MB E280 wagon
Greetings,
I have 94 280 e wagon with a rear defrost and wiper that doesn't work.
I've checked the fuses in engine compartment and all are ok.
I figure the wiper motor is dead, but the defrost I have no clue.
I open the under roof area and all wires and connections look fine same in hatch door.
Any ideas?
Many thanks for your help.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Seems your question slipped through the net for some reason, so this will bump it back up again for those more informed than me to offer opinion!

However, I do think it perhaps unusual that both tailgate devices are not working. I don't know the location of the number plate mounting on this vehicle, but it could be worth checking that it works ok if it is mounted on the tailgate.

You really need to get hold of a voltmeter and check that there is power reaching the rear wiper when switched on - try earthing against the tailgate and if that does not show current flowing, try earthing against (say) the rear light fixture to ensure that you have an earth circuit to the tailgate.

Heated windscreens on older cars are prone to damage particularly on those with opening tailgate where something inside can relatively easily break the elements.

Hopefully someone better informed will be along shortly!

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Possibly the combination relay in the section of the box behind the main fuse holder in the engine compartment has failed? there is also a relay for the intermittant wiper operation in the rear tailgate. Check the earths as advised also.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
OP

280wagon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jeep grand cherokee, MB E280 wagon
Thank you!

I very much appreciate your answers and will look into it next weekend. I will post the answer as soon as it is fixed.
Again, many thank your for your help!

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom