Rear DVD fit....

Hotdatum

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Estate 320CDI (2007)
Ok gurus,

Variation on a theme here, I'm about to get a 2007 E Class Estate with COMAND DVD APS - I've trawled the threads and remain non the wiser as to how I fit a rear DVD screen.

I've got an old screen repeat from a portable DVD System, is there anyway I can connect this to the COMAND????

Thoughts?

Thanks guys!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Many have the rear screen fitted,, so it can be done, just need some more info from someone that has done it, npuk will probably know the answer

N

npuk

IMO your best off just replacing the headrest for one with a built in dvd player. If you look in my picture gallery there are pictures of the Xtrons one I have fitted. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/blacksilve...231559014&_sid=86698344&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

If you want it all hooked upto Comand you need to have a video capable Comand unit which has the output for rear entertainment system and these were fitted to cars with a factory installed tv tuner.

There are other options like installing screen into the current headrest linked to a seperate dvd player but this will cost more. All depends on how much you want to spend really.

Troon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A big one
Hotdatum: not only do you need a video-out capable COMAND, you'll need the genuine Merc screen. Others have tried and failed to connect generic monitors to the 25-pin connector due to the CAN conversation that needs to take place. On a 2007 car, it's very unlikely you'll have a video-out head unit if the car didn't have rear screen as an option.

The bracket for the Merc screen is horribly expensive (like £600, just the bracket) and quite flimsy, holding the screen just above the centre console.

As npuk, I'd go aftermarket, with headrest screens with built-in players and wireless headphones. I'm not sure if you can remove the front headrests in a 211 due to the NECK-PRO system — the headrests can be removed with a bit of seat disassembly, but there's an electrical connector to the solenoid that may make the car complain if it can't see it.

I have a similar dilemma, currently solved with a rather ugly velcro-strapped-on pair of old Goodmans screens wired to a separate player in the front passenger footwell net. I plan to get some proper headrest brackets and new detachable screens with built-in players.

An alternative would be to budget for a decent double-DIN DVD/Nav head unit aftermarket replacement for the COMAND driving the rear screens. If you haven't chosen the car yet and plan to go that route, you have a greater choice of car as you can pick one without COMAND.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom