Rear sensor turns it self on when in drive gear

OP
L

Lambo_Pig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204/2008/320CDI & Alfa Romeo 4C
Ok I don't see a melted wire there so the wire was up to spec. I see a failed connector and typical failure from a high resistance connection arcing and melting the surrounding plastic.
Is the problem the wire? No. The problem is whatever caused the high resistance at the connector.
In any case, poor engineering of the connector then...you are right the wire is in tact but everything around it is melted pretty badly. I’m preparing to bypass the whole connector anyway now using this video as a guide as it’s only a ground that seems easy enough to do as a ground is located about 20cm from the back of the light.

Clearly a fault with literally thousands of the same thing happening, as I said just tonight ive seen at least 10 mercs running with the problem... the USA having recalled on it and google throwing up thousands of threads on the topic. once you become aware of it you start seeing it everywhere, sort of like when you buy a new car model you start seeing them everywhere.

Better get this sorted as fog and snow is forecast again this week. Not good to be running dim tail lights when I do at least 1000km of motorway driving in the UK.

At least I found what was causing the rear sensors to come on while driving (how it’s related puzzles me but I’m guessing the rear sensors must be connected to the tail lights somewhere rather than at the gear selector to know when it’s in reverse, makes sense now in hindsight.)

Hopefully this helps someone else getting puzzled why their rear sensors are randomly coming in while in other gears except reverse.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom