rear tyre wear

basssman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 320cdi 2000
Hi all, anybody any idea why my nearside rear tyre is wearing on the inside? Offside fine what suspension part is most likely to be the culprit?
Tread does not seem to be feathered.
I'm going to get it four wheel laser tracked but need to fix everything first.
Thanks in advance..

michael.

w210 320cdi 2000

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
A hard one, it could be the camber angle out, but many alignment firms will not alter this angle

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
There is a camber strut on the rear axle that does wear and doesnt produce any knocks etc. so you gotta jack the car up and try moving the whell in and out ..grab it in a ten to four position and check for play, Im not sure which of the two struts in the diagram is responsible.. no 360..I think this one...or no 470., but its the most expensive one and I think a dealer part only ..try Euro car parts Belfast 028 90 689 700

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GA=722.626&CT=F&cat=66G&SID=35&SGR=075&SGN=04

OP
B

basssman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 320cdi 2000
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll check it this weekend. Do you have to change the struts as a pair, ie each side or is it ok to change them individually?
Thanks

Michael..

OP
B

basssman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 320cdi 2000
Also how much are we talking for the struts do you know?

LYNALL

Reaction score
Nearside rear tyre on mine wore the inner edge away, also fronts went to the canvas, new tyres and a 4 wheel track, 4k later and all tyres seem to be wearing fine, drives a lot nicer to.

Lynall

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
The camber struts are around £108 each...the boomerang shaped stays are £30 each, but as usual its always the most expensive ones that go... A tip here.. you can buy the cheaper ones and change the bushings, but you need access to some engineering equipment as the bushes need to be pressed out and in again..also the new bushes are slightly larger so the holes need reaming.. ...just for the more mechanically minded...

OP
B

basssman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 320cdi 2000
Thanks for the replies, Is it ok to change just one side with the camber struts,I hope so at that price!

Michael..

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Yes, it is a support bar basically and such items are normally only rplaced when they are worn so if the other one is ok then no need to do both..

e220e

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
morris z, hillman avenger, E220 Estate, morris traveler
I have this on my E220 estate, inner offside tyre down to the bands of the tyre, outeredge was fine, turns out its the wheel bearing, jack up the car and try to wobble the wheel from upper to lower edges, mind you, you probably fixed it by now..
regards bob

ed325i

Reaction score
I have got a w202 sport and the rear tyres are wearing on the inner edge after approx 4000 miles of fitting new tyres.
Can someone give me a list of all the bushes that can be replaced please.
And where is the best place to buy them ?

Thanks Ed

G

Gangley

e class mercs will chew up the outside of tyres if you are under-inflated or the tracking is out. Get a FOUR wheel tracking done. FOUR! If the factory setting cannot be achieved it can work out the best compromise. Make sure the spanner monkey has the steering wheel central before he starts or you will be driving with a wonkey steering wheel!

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>Get a FOUR wheel tracking done.

Check to make sure there is no wear and no damage in your suspension parts, and don't go anywhere near an alignment machine until you have done so - setting up a car with wear or damage is just a waste of time and money.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom