Rear tyre wear

ed325i

Reaction score
Hi, I have got a w202 which is wearing the rear tyres on the inner edge and the car feels like its steering from the rear :(
Any ideas what it can be ?

Thanks Ed

LYNALL

Reaction score
Google wheels in motion or elite tyres.

Sounds like you have either a bush gone or the geometry needs setting up.

Lynall

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
as above. definately sounds like something loose like shot bushes etc as they would alsocause th geometry to go out of spec!

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Hi ed325i..
Yes the rear geometry can be adjusted..
I was very surprised to learn this as I watched the chap at "wheels in motion" do just that..
Its well worth a visit there but you will need to book an appointment with them..

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
It is pointless to have geometry checked until your car has been on the ramp and had all the many rear linkages checked for bush wear.

Only the toe is adjustable on rear.

LYNALL

Reaction score
Never checked any of mine before the alignment done,but i had been under it a few times and was happy for it to be done as it was, but did replace front arms on wifes as like the w203 they are crap!

Lynall

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Never checked any of mine before the alignment done,but i had been under it a few times and was happy for it to be done as it was, but did replace front arms on wifes as like the w203 they are crap!

Lynall

But the original poster has already identified a problem and it may be possible to bring the geometry back to spec with the car static on the ramps.

As soon as it is driven however, all those changes will immediately go out of spec when the worn rubber bushes are loaded as in a driven state.

So, identify and change the worn bushes first then go for a geometry check.

OP
E

ed325i

Reaction score
I have had the bushes looked at and they say the front of the rear sub frame ones are worn and have up and down movement in them.
Does this sound right or should they have up and down play in them ?

Thanks Ed

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
as far as im aware, there should be no play in the subframe bushes. this would feel like steering was comig from rear as subframe moves around hence steering sensation and abnormal tyre wear

haroonz7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD Auto, BMW M3 CSL, Honda Integra Type R DC-2
Is it the feeling of not have full control? That's how it was for me and when mb did a health check it was the steering drag link bushes so I've had the drag link changed but am still in a similar state although the vibrations at 60 mph have reduced.

Am having the steering damper and idler arm changed and I agree your best off getting all bushes and links changed before spending money on getting all the geomtry done

OP
E

ed325i

Reaction score
Do have to take the whole sub frame out to replace the bushes or can you just lower it down ?
Is there a guide on how to do it some where ?

Thanks Ed

OP
E

ed325i

Reaction score
They are 17" AMG wheels with the wider ones on the rear.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Thought it might be.
The 250TD wasn't built for that setup.
The others may well be right regarding setup, bushes etc, but that car was designed for 15" wheels with 195 tyres.

I don't know what tyres you have on the back but assuming at least 245? you've effectively added 25% to the tyre width and probably altered the offset into the bargain.
I know my 245 equipped E class tends to wear the inner edges off if I run at the lower rated pressures. I have to up them at least 4psi to eliminate it. (and mine was factory fit).

As for rear steering, with those widths it will tend to tramline on our rutted roads and if the rears are wider than the front, they will tramline more (rear steering tendancy?)

Its well worth getting it professionally set up and it may ease the problems, but I suspect a lot of your issues are amplified by, if not caused by, the wheel and tyre choice.

stevesey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 Sport 98
The others may well be right regarding setup, bushes etc, but that car was designed for 15" wheels with 195 tyres.
Plenty of 202 C250TD sports running on 16" + 205s from the factory - and 17in AMGs + 225/245 was a factory (or dealer fit?) option (across the range I believe). OK I don't know if the factory option resulting in alignment being tweaked (probably not if done by the dealer). So I'd find it hard to blame it on the fact that the car doesn't have the poverty spec wheels and tyres.

As others have said check the bushes, tyre pressures and alignment.

OP
E

ed325i

Reaction score

Mine is a 240 sport.
I have got the rear sub frame out and I am re placing the sub frame bushes,
then its new tyres and the alignment done.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
17" AMG rims were available on all models of the 202 as an option, IIRC the only difference between the rear suspension on 202 variants was the diameter of the sway bar, coil springs, shocks, and the spacing rubber on top of the spring, the 4 tie bars on each side (what effect the rear wheel alignment) were the same throughout the range, and settings were the same regardless of the size of wheels fitted. The only thing that effected the alignment was wether the vehicle had self-levelling suspension (not sure why though).

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95

Mine is a 240 sport.
I have got the rear sub frame out and I am re placing the sub frame bushes,
then its new tyres and the alignment done.

Whilst the subframe is off, make sure all the links bushes are still good.

Two things can happen to them;

1. they wear and become loose

2. the bolts going through the bushes corrode and they seize (the whole bush and bolt can seize solid.

With the rear springs out you can test all the links for looseness and for ease of movement.

The control arm which controls the rear toe (tracking) on mine was totally seized and had seized in the position where the toe was completely out and was wearing the tyres on the inside.

I had to saw both tie arms off (each side of car) and the toe has now been restored to normal.

OP
E

ed325i

Reaction score
Had a look all the link bushes and they seem all ok, the bolts are not seized.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom