Rearview comand NTG2

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
That's what they're saying. The video off when moving feature will also need to be disabled as by default video turns off when the car is moving.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Again you're better asking the vendor.
There are so many combinations of things people can do with their cars it's impossible more most us to know what combination of things you need.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Ok si for my NTG2 , I can install a backup camera but I will have to press the video button to get the image, is that it ...? tell me if I'm wrong ...

that's exactly what we are saying, you should be able to get the camera image on your screen.... but not be putting the car in reverse....

OP
J

Jet_sex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk/2005/2.7 cdi
I fully understand your point of view, but I asked the seller for the back module and it was him who advised me .. so even asking is not about having the right answers ...thank you so much

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

(in most countries) it is illegal to have a display the driver can view (the comand screen) displaying a video / television picture whilst the car is being driven

for safety reasons (so the driver is not distracted) a signal telling the car its moving blanks the video feed to the screen, this extra is to circumnavigate (get around) this feature.... their use is risky, if you were to kill another road user and this is in the car and they discover it.... 1) you may get 10 years jail (for causing death by dangerous driving) 2) your insurer would also not pay out, so theoretically you might have to sell everything you own (house, car and possessions) to pay monies raised in compensation.... point 1 a certainty, point 2 less likely but it won't be fun

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
but I asked the seller for the back module and it was him who advised me ..

Sadly, I think part of your situation is you believed someone

few people in the world have any idea about what they are talking about,
the effort to which they will attempt to convince you that they do know what they are saying, often changes if money is involved

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Given you bought the unit through Amazon you're covered by their returns policy. Discuss with the seller that if they can't get Kufatec to help them help you make it work you want to exercise your right to return it for a refund. This is the seller's responsibility to sort out.

OP
J

Jet_sex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk/2005/2.7 cdi
@Botus i know is illegal, I just explain my feeling and especially that as I do not know I turn to people who know or I ask questions to the seller ... and when I say that it takes such a module to activate the video rolling, c is just for me to have access to the backup camera (just to back off), I'm not stupid to look at the road behind the vehicle while driving ... so the lawyer's reasoning on the jail sentence and pay all my life it has no place to be and it's useless ... but thank you for giving me your point of view ...

and that's why the forums exist, to share knowledge or to learn what we do not know. After that maybe it disturbs some, to explain or to argue, if it is the case so much worse for me ...

we have to trust someone at one time or another ... after I bought it a while ago I do not think we can return the product

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I think the rule on video whilst driving is outdated, sat nav or wandering about in comand menus, is at least as distracting and dangerous. However the rule is there and certainly any insurer will invalidate your insurance (and thus a payout) even if the screen was in the off position before during or after any accident.

…. your post about a video in motion defeat device, brought up a worrying thought about the situation you are in. If the only way to get the RFK to display was to manually switch to the TV source, would moving the car bring in the video in motion screen blanking and negate all the hard work to put a camera in the vehicle?

my advice when it comes to a sales person of any sort, is don't listen or acknowledge anything they have to say, genetically they are only programmed to lie

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I don't know if the video in motion would need updating, IIRC mine used to switch off at 5 mph which is fine for most reversing maneuvers

OP
J

Jet_sex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk/2005/2.7 cdi
I would like to ask you a question @Alfie or, of course, another person if he knows anything about it. On my NTG2, when I go to the engineer menu I have this:
could you tell me what is the year of the mapping DVD that is installed? Could you also tell me if on this model there is an update of the internal system and an update of the separate mapping or by updating the mapping both update. ? Thank you very much for the answer.

E84CDA89-1E93-4232-B9F4-AB000DF01125.jpeg
D0C7DB6C-A261-4B7F-AC8C-0543DA4C46AE.jpeg

OP
J

Jet_sex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk/2005/2.7 cdi
Anyone has idea?? Is for my rearview
Thanks you

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Anyone has idea?? Is for my rearview
Thanks you

Alfie works Tues, Wed and Thurs, I believe...

I checked here, but although Merc released the info in 2008 most of the software appears to be from mid 2006 (so yours probably left the factory with it in place) and probably why this link doesn't cover your model...

http://service-parts.mercedes-benz.com/dcagportal/DCAGPortal/menu.action?pageId=4795&market=Europe

remember, until circa 2012 updates were not common and even more rarely applied to any given vehicle... these days just like windows, a few 3 year olds compile joke code everyday in the vain hope one day a bug will magically eradicate itself

OP
J

Jet_sex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk/2005/2.7 cdi
Hi to you @Botus thank you very much for your answer so if I understand correctly the link that you give me is for the firmware update of the comand. I do not see on the document that it is for the NTG2 could you confirm this to me please? Then I guess it's the second link: "Update COMAND service - (W 203 589 06 22 00) for the 203 series" because when I enter the link is mentioned the series 209, which is my case for a 2005 CLK, could you confirm that, please, too, by clicking on "CD labels" You can see the photo of the CD marked on 12/2008, so I take it that there is no more internal updates since late 2008. Correct me if I'm wrong. Sorry for all these questions but I like to know. thank you

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
that's what I was saying, although the files seem to date from 2006 week 22 (May ?) it looks like they didn't get out in the wild, till the dates on the cd labels (2008)...

I would guess your car probably got much / all of the content in those updates when it was built.... although if I'm interpreting the photos of your hardware yours says 2007 week 43 (which is late October) so yours seems to have a later version than the update files on offer at that Merc site.

I guess what would be interesting was if someone with STAR or Xentry could look up what both NTG2 systems last had available and or an owner of the other NTG2 system could post a picture of their data

However, Alfie will be well aware of all this stuff, if he's saying either you can't write the other NTG firmware on to your unit or can't obtain the files to try then its not magically going to work.

I think maybe you need to understand the business Alfie is in (a lot of what they do is fix Merc comand systems and retro fit toys that others can't) https://www.commandonline.co.uk/ kufatek are just aftermarket boys... but to give them credit they have suddenly woken up with lots of interesting new toys

Last edited:
OP
J

Jet_sex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk/2005/2.7 cdi
ok ... thank you for taking the time to answer me ... i will do some more research but as you say, i think i will resign myself to not having a backup camera on my original screen. ..I thought that I could put it and that I could activate it just by pressing the video button of my NTG2, but that I could not exceed a certain speed because it would cut due to the restriction of the video playback in rolling ... but it does not even work with the video button, I tested this after and nothing at all, it does not work ... well beh I'll start thinking about giving up ..: pity I bought a dongle that does not even use ... and I could not even send it back ... I find it boring these company selling stuff supposed to work but who do not know anything and do not make any effort to fix the problems. ..sorry if my sentences are not all understandable, I use a traducteu r

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
…. puzzled by your last post.

If it has a TV input on the comand - all it does is play ANYTHING of the right format / signal type on the screen if you select the TV source.... all the rear camera does is when wired up and power is fed to it, is push out a signal that should be compatible with the TV input….

so either the camera is off, or not connected to the comand... or one component is broken. (still agree you may get video blanking if you got fast)

OP
J

Jet_sex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk/2005/2.7 cdi
Hello @Botus
first of all I tested everything just by dismantling the comand, so plugging behind the comand of the extender Fakra / RCA, then plug on this extension the camera and to simulate the 12v, I use a battery of 12v.
- for testing the elements:
first I test the camera on my TV with an RCA extension on my S-video output from my TV, and for power, I use the 12v battery, and it works I have the image on TV.
- For the extension Fakra / RCA I tested with the multimeter the mass and the central part (as if I tested the continuity of a circuit) and no problem on this side there ...
- then it remains that the dongle but even kufatec confirmed me that the dongle had written well the information (I transmitted them files inside the dongle), I trust them but I have a doubt ... so that's my approach, and nothing works either in reverse or by pressing the video button of the command ...

Some Comand units have an Aux video in.
hello i don’t understand , you talk for the NTG2 ??

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom