Recall gone wrong

Northywayne

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class 180cdi 2014
Hi. I have a B class W246 2014. Car was in for recall. ECU software and steering column/ airbag. After a week cars mpg was down and whilst going round a long slow bend near home the steering locked. Managed to get the car to safety and noticed a faint burning smell in side. Have airbag warning on and the whole steering wheel is dead. Will turn over but non started. Big red letter to contact MB. cars Been my Taxi from new so glad I had no one on board. Anyone had any issues like this. Still waiting on MB to sort it. So annoying as just started back to work after CV 19. Cannot afford more time off.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Jeez that must have been a touch butt clenching. So many stories on forums recently about failures following various so called updates. Your dealer has clearly messed something up, but I don't recall reading anything similar to your problem. Hope you get it sorted. Presumably you couldn't even use a loaner car as a taxi?

OP
N

Northywayne

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class 180cdi 2014
Hi. I have a B class W246 2014. Car was in for recall. ECU software and steering column/ airbag. After a week cars mpg was down and whilst going round a long slow bend near home the steering locked. Managed to get the car to safety and noticed a faint burning smell in side. Have airbag warning on and the whole steering wheel is dead. Will turn over but non started. Big red letter to contact MB. cars Been my Taxi from new so glad I had no one on board. Anyone had any issues like this. Still waiting on MB to sort it. So annoying as just started back to work after CV 19. Cannot afford more time off.
All sorted now, faulty part they say. But now there telling me that oil is making its way to the EC, another problem to worry about now.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Ask them to show you. Sometimes I get a feeling MB dealers may cock up, they have to foot the bill, so they invent a problem to regain some loss.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Sounds like a failed power steering motor?

OP
N

Northywayne

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class 180cdi 2014
Update. Took car back to MB so they could trace the oil contamination. Results were £298 later was told that the oil divert valve was leaking oil into the engine loom, oil in the knock sensor plug, oil in the oil level sensor plug oil contamination on the ECU plug and beneath the air box where there is a 22 pin connector going from the engine harness to the body harnes oil contamination. There suggestion at a cost of £4K new wiring harness ECU, knock sensor, oil level sensor and the oil pump diverter valve all to be replaced. Yeh right.
my question to them was why don’t they replace where the oil is leaking on to the engine wiring and strip and clean the engine loom and all connectors job done. That’s my logic. Also never heard of a oil pump diverter valve ????

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Yeah , oil pump diverter /control / shift , valve , not an expensive item but a messy one and as the miles are piled people are finding out about them .

There's lots of Mercedes components that only seem to be designed to do 70,000 miles !

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
If there’s oil in the wiring loom, it’s very hard to get out. What happens if new parts are fitted and oil continues to seep out of loom contaminating new parts causing them to fail. Who’s fault?

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
why are you footing the bill for a recall ? you didn't mention the car had issues before it went in ?

OP
N

Northywayne

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class 180cdi 2014
why are you footing the bill for a recall ? you didn't mention the car had issues before it went in ?
It didn’t have issues before it went in.

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Well in my view if you had to take your car in for a recall and you come away with major issues that were not there before then it is up to the MB dealer to put it right as they have messed up big time! If they are trying to get you to pay for their mistakes then id contact trading standards and get them involved , dont take no crap from them and ask for a loan car whilst they work on it , as pointed out before, they can invent problems to screw more money out of people

OP
N

Northywayne

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class 180cdi 2014
Well in my view if you had to take your car in for a recall and you come away with major issues that were not there before then it is up to the MB dealer to put it right as they have messed up big time! If they are trying to get you to pay for their mistakes then id contact trading standards and get them involved , dont take no crap from them and ask for a loan car whilst they work on it , as pointed out before, they can invent problems to screw more money out of people
Have complained to MB head office. Car is going to an auto electrician today for there opinion, I’ve used them in the past on other cars and they know there stuff.

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Have complained to MB head office. Car is going to an auto electrician today for there opinion, I’ve used them in the past on other cars and they know there stuff.
That's good when you get the report back you can hit them with it, stick to your guns Wayne and refuse to pay for work that could have caused by their incompetence

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Good luck Wayne - keep your nerve!

Top Bottom