Recall on GL, R, ML brake booster

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I received a goodwill gesture of a £75 John Lewis gift card today for being such a good boy and letting them do the recall on my ML. Anyone else had this??
Yep. Got mine 2 days ago.
I wonder if I'll get another for the airbag?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Hi all

My 2011 R350 failed the visual test on the 15th of June, so I contacted Mercedes Norwich to see what happens next, the receptionist said the guy dealing with the recalls would phone me back. 5 days later no phonecall so rang again, again was advised he'd phone back. another 7 days still no phone call so I phone again, again to be told we'll call back, this time I asked to be put on hold or to speak to the branch manager, phone goes dead...
2 Weeks ago I get a second letter from Mercedes saying that they still urgently need to see my car (which they already have) so I re-booked it. Last Thursday it was re-inspected, the guy who did it was as confused by it all as me, again contacted Mercedes Norwich, finally got through to the manager, said all I wanted to know was if I had to hire a car, buy one, courtesy car? And how long before the R was picked up, the manager said he'll phone back, guess what? Yep...
I'm currently doing 75 miles a day in a borrowed (from a family member) 27 Citroen ZX that's neither family friendly, or going to pass it's next MOT, 60mpg is nice though...
Has anybody else had similar issues, i.e. being ghosted?
Vote with ur feet at next car buy mb seem to have zero control over their dealer standards or practice. It simply a lottery on where u live and that dealers practice. F shocking really, but mb must be allowing it.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I dont think its that allow it, MB are just to far to keep dealers "in check", like all franchises.

Bigmkl1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 ml 350 CDI sport 4 matic
90 minutes suggests functional test as well. The visual test only takes 5 minutes.

Check underneath and around the master cylinder for any leaking fluid. The functional test requires high pressure on the pedal which may have caused a weak pipe to leak (which is good when you think about it as it has happened during an emergency stop).
Hi there, do you know what pressure in bar is used in the hard brake test please.??
Many thanks for any info!
2nd Test carried out, which includes pumping 175bar through the brake pedal, and surprisingly it passed. Just got to sort the EIS and 1h 29m limp mode issues now, didn't get a gift voucher though...
Hi splatter,
Another newbie here.
How did you find out about the 175 bar brake test, as I think mercedes Plymouth have wrecked my brake booster, as I now have abs, esp run flat tire warnings which prior to them testing, had never shown up before.
On returning my car, they told me that although it failed the first 2 tests, and had the brake booster condemned.
Miraculously it passed the new revised brake test!
I was delighted with this news, and especially after 2 months of my car being at the Plymouth dealership.
I decided to go for a drive.
Initially there were no lights showing, but in a couple of miles the amber abs and esp lights came on.
I contacted the general manager, and he told me to immediately drive home and he would call me.
About half way home suddenly the amber lights abs and esp warning lights turned red and were flashing, so I stopped and put on my hazard warning flashers.
I continued to proceed at no more than 15mph, and upon reaching the centre of the River bridge in Looe my car suddenly locked all four wheels and stopped dead.
The guy behind me in a range rover just managed to stop 1ft from my back bumper avoiding a collision.
The bridge was crowded with pedestrians and heavy traffic, and thank god the driver was alert, because it could have caused many casualties!!!

Mercedes customer service and safety is non existent.
Anyone else had this problem yet??
I feel it is only a matter of time before there are fatalities with this issue.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi there, do you know what pressure in bar is used in the hard brake test please.??

Hi splatter,
Another newbie here.
How did you find out about the 175 bar brake test, as I think mercedes Plymouth have wrecked my brake booster, as I now have abs, esp run flat tire warnings which prior to them testing, had never shown up before.
On returning my car, they told me that although it failed the first 2 tests, and had the brake booster condemned.
I was delighted with this news, and especially after 2 months of my car being at the Plymouth dealership.
Initially there were no lights showing, but in a couple of miles the amber abs and esp lights came on.
I contacted the general manager, and he told me to immediately drive home and he would call me.
About half way home suddenly the amber lights abs and esp warning lights turned red and were flashing, so I stopped and put on my hazard warning flashers.
I continued to proceed at no more than 15mph, and upon reaching the centre of the River bridge in Looe my car suddenly locked all four wheels and stopped dead.
The guy behind me in a range rover just managed to stop 1ft from my back bumper avoiding a collision.
The bridge was crowded with pedestrians and heavy traffic, and thank god the driver was alert, because it could have caused many casualties!!!

Hello and welcome

Brake warning on red… phone mobilo and get them to recover it to Mercedes. Do not drive…

Splatter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 R350CDi

Hi splatter,
Another newbie here.

I know that bridge very well, it's not a good place to stop at the best of times, especially heading East to West Looe.
I've had no issues at all since the booster test, although the tester did say that some cars have popped brake lines doing the test, might this be your case?

Bigmkl1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello and welcome

Brake warning on red… phone mobilo and get them to recover it to Mercedes. Do not drive…
Hi blobcat,

It was eventually recovered to mercedes Plymouth later in the afternoon.
They refused to pay for the recovery £132 Inc vat, and they said it was nothing that they had done.
A couple of days later after mercedes Plymouth dealer did nothing.
I had it removed to a nearby garage/mot centre who is highly recommended to check the car over.
Still awaiting his findings.......
Will let you know how it goes.
Shall initially be reporting them to the DVSA when I have collated all the information.
General manager at Plymouth dealership said they had 25 cars in for failing both tests, and after the third "test" 22 of the 25 suddenly and miraculously passed this"test" and have been returned to their owners, who I'm pretty sure are not aware that their brake boosters have not been replaced.
I have no way of contacting these owners to inform them.
Any ideas??
I know that bridge very well, it's not a good place to stop at the best of times, especially heading East to West Looe.
I've had no issues at all since the booster test, although the tester did say that some cars have popped brake lines doing the test, might this be your case?
Hi splatter,
The mechanic I am using is extremely thorough and I may have more info on Monday.
If the 175 bar brake test is correct, (that is a psi of over 2500lbs ie: 1.25 us tons) MB says that hard braking could mechanically severely damage the brake booster.
Mercedes South West at Plymouth were the people that led to this shambles!

Bigmkl1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Once checks are done this is the letter left.
View attachment 77040

It was east to west Looe!!

Bigmkl1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Anyone know what bar pressure was used in the brake test...........anyone????

Bigmkl1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi splatter,
It may well be the brake lines popping as you mention, I will await the mechanics observations.
Thanks for the info!!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Just realised we've not had any updates on this thread since Aug - everyone's brakes still working? Any had a full repair done?

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mine are good. If I recall they retest in 2 years, if they remember I assume.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I get home on Thurs. I will look at the issue then. Forgot all about when last back . Which dh decided to put a "cosmetic" band around sercvo joint. At least they cud have moulded a hole in the bottom of it!

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I get home on Thurs. I will look at the issue then. Forgot all about when last back . Which dh decided to put a "cosmetic" band around sercvo joint. At least they cud have moulded a hole in the bottom of it!
Hindsight.

I guess the rubber band was manufactures to keep moisture out. But its location as a pseudo drip tray and design meant it held moisture hence the problems.
I can see these rotting in a few years. the recall should have included some form of rust treatment.
When they start to rot and fail I cant see MB paying that - "it was fine when we tested it sir"

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yup. Modern policy kick problem into long grass servo under bonnet should not corrode period.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thought about this thread when I got a letter from
MB this morning.

Basically states that since now parts are available -
please book car in to get booster replaced.

So the entire test of boost pressure (2 years intervals) - which my car passed - was a smoke screen til they can get the parts made / in stock.

Top Bottom