record mpg

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
how long did you drive with that economy rate? I bet it was just as you reset at stable speed of 50-60.... LOL

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
No skullduggery :)

Probably first appeared after approx 45min, I didn't study the display just noted on my arrival

psmart

Reaction score
Could get my 4.4i X5 to 30mpg when doing 60mph on a flat mway. A gentle run would yield 27mpg+ but around town and being spirited (4 exhausts and a V8 are a nice sound) it would be a car that would get teens or single digits.

However, on a commute to work and the first 7 miles my car wasn't even warmed up I got this

st4-albums-my-e-class-picture885-how-beat-combined-cycle.jpg
Lowest Ive had over the same journey is 14.9 going flat out (160mph on the dial, in reality 150mph). The route is mountainous, twisty and I wouldnt have the patience to do 60mph over the whole route! It was mind numbingly boring at 85mph (read Caravans, lorries and those wretched tourists that clog the road up every summer), the figures just impressed me as I didnt set out to make a record!

The V8 is a glorious sound though and I find myself occasionally booting it just for the orchestra :)

psmart

Reaction score
That is excellent especially for an Auto box and the 270 engine, highest over the route Leeds to Man Airport in the C220 was 66mpg, driving 60-70, but on average the car is in the high 50's on a long UK legal run.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Lowest Ive had over the same journey is 14.9 going flat out (160mph on the dial, in reality 150mph). The route is mountainous, twisty and I wouldnt have the patience to do 60mph over the whole route! It was mind numbingly boring at 85mph (read Caravans, lorries and those wretched tourists that clog the road up every summer), the figures just impressed me as I didnt set out to make a record!

The V8 is a glorious sound though and I find myself occasionally booting it just for the orchestra :)

14.9 is really good for that speed. 120mph in my old beast (1100cc down on yours) would yield about 15mpg. I didn't have the guts to drive it past an indicated 140mph due the size and upright nature of the car.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
W211 220cdi

Saturday 19 July return from Gatwick Airport

6 Speed Manual note the total mileage:lol:

A'up Lad my Bl**dy Count has gone backwards - yippee I am getting younger

Last edited:

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Saturday 19 July return from Gatwick Airport

6 Speed Manual note the total mileage:lol:

A'up Lad my Bl**dy Count has gone backwards - yippee I am getting younger

are you using any fuel addatives like millers. I've never got my mpg above 53.5mpg but use this. Maybe my car is still too young.

psmart

Reaction score
14.9 is really good for that speed. 120mph in my old beast (1100cc down on yours) would yield about 15mpg. I didn't have the guts to drive it past an indicated 140mph due the size and upright nature of the car.
Its impossible to do this speed all the way (hence 14.9 and not lower), due to most of the A8 from Munich to Augsburg being road works (conversion to 3 lanes), but around the A99 (Munich's M25) and certain sections of the A8 going flat out is safe (wide roads, few twists).

The 500 sucks itself to the floor as the speed increases (air-suspension) and it feels very stable, running on AMG 285's! I am tempted to get it 'chipped' (ie. the speed limit removed and a few extra horses) so it will do 163mph but then it defeats the reason I bought the 500, might as well have gone for the AMG!!!

I used to envy the X5's in my ML270, flat out at 120mph and they'd cruise past me like I wasnt moving! I can do the same to them now :)

In comparison, in the C220 running the same route flat out (circa 137mph) it returns ~34mpg. Trouble is, I cant use the C220 at the moment.... its too damn hot here and the Air Con doesnt work :confused:

psmart

Reaction score
are you using any fuel addatives like millers. I've never got my mpg above 53.5mpg but use this. Maybe my car is still too young.
Its the manual box, it does make a difference, hence being suprised with whitenemesis's figure, if you can get that with an auto (and they dont take an affinity to water :rolleyes: ), then the Sequentronic Ive got becomes obsolete!

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211

Not at all, just routine servicing. It is still on the original clutch, gearbox and running gear. It has had a pair of front springs, and two rear shocks and apart from all the usual 'consumables' that is about it. They are serviced by a good Indie and nothing but nothing is left to chance so they are very well maintained and looked after.

They also have three face lift E's which I have never bettered 48mpg

Since retiring I have taken up driving for a local Private Hire company who I have known for years and this is one of 7 Mercs, all serviced and looked after by a brill indie:cool:

Last edited:

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Its impossible to do this speed all the way (hence 14.9 and not lower), due to most of the A8 from Munich to Augsburg being road works (conversion to 3 lanes), but around the A99 (Munich's M25) and certain sections of the A8 going flat out is safe (wide roads, few twists).

The 500 sucks itself to the floor as the speed increases (air-suspension) and it feels very stable, running on AMG 285's! I am tempted to get it 'chipped' (ie. the speed limit removed and a few extra horses) so it will do 163mph but then it defeats the reason I bought the 500, might as well have gone for the AMG!!!

I used to envy the X5's in my ML270, flat out at 120mph and they'd cruise past me like I wasnt moving! I can do the same to them now :)

In comparison, in the C220 running the same route flat out (circa 137mph) it returns ~34mpg. Trouble is, I cant use the C220 at the moment.... its too damn hot here and the Air Con doesnt work :confused:

The X5 was fast but going above 130mph (indicated) was as much as the areo dynamics could take. Here is mine (on a track :rolleyes:) (my old 3.0i going flat out)

M90speeding.jpg

The ML must have superior areo dynamics to take this extra speed. I sat in one and thought it was a nice big motor but for the money an E does the job better. Your C220 will be good for over 137mph BTW.

psmart

Reaction score
The ML must have superior areo dynamics to take this extra speed. I sat in one and thought it was a nice big motor but for the money an E does the job better. Your C220 will be good for over 137mph BTW.
The ML is very stable at speed, the only time you feel unnerved is tight bends (quite frequent on German Autobahns).

I tried to find out the real economy flat out, but unfortunately the roads were full of traffic last night, needless to say, high constant speed uses far less than harsh acceleration (ie. I went flat out for about 2 miles and the figure was around 18mpg after reset), yet after some harsh acceleration due to obstructing cars, the figure was at 14.2!

When its safe and on a better day, Ill get the true mpg figures for top speed, but the picture below shows the car approaching top speed, please excuse the shakes, camera mounted on steering wheel without shock absorbers isnt a good idea!

Attachments

• IMG00306-20090719-2154.jpg
    IMG00306-20090719-2154.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 7

Mr Teddy Bear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W208 CLK 230K SPORT: MG F 1.8VVC: Flame Red Rover 216GTi
I wonder if anyone has ever considered fitting a Merc V8 into a Range Rover!
Mine would be a different motor if I could achieve 25 instead of 18 mpg!:Oops:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom