Reduced Breaking Power - Start Engine

sampride000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
06 CLS 320 CDI
Hi All,

Been lurking for a few years but it's time for my first post.

I have an '06 CLS 320 cdi. I love the thing to death but it wouldn't start this morning and gave me the 'Reduced Breaking Power - Start Engine' warning in red before all the lights on the dash gave up. I couldn't immediately get into the boot either, but it does occasionally stick anyway.

If it's been sat for a few days in the cold I'll often get the battery protection warning come on and not be able to use the seat warmers etc.

I'm guessing it probably the battery, but as I've been unable to find the exact same symptoms on other threads of this kind, thought it might be worth asking. If it looks serious I can upgrade my AA coverage to parts and labour, leave it 2 weeks and then give the recovery guys a call.

What do you experts think?

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Dies sound like your battery is on its way out, get it in charge for a good 12-24 hours and then take it from there.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Possible that the main battery needs a charge.
Possible that the battery is on the way out, as a cold snap can do this to batteries.

Nothing to worry about really, the message says start engine, so you do that and the message goes away, that is all OK.

If the car is only used for short runs, the battery may be on the low side.

The reason why the message comes up is because your car has what we call SBC brakes, when you unlock the car, or open a door, the car gets ready to drive. The SBC brake pump runs on a fixed time cycle to charge the braking system, if the battery is low, then the system is not fully charged, by starting the car the pump runs and all normal.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom