Redundant catalytic converter

strokedriver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 estate 2001
My 2001 Mercedes E320 Elegance Estate (WDB210) has developed a rattle from the exhaust.
My local Mercedes service agent (not a main dealer) tells me a baffle is loose in a catalytic converter.
He says this model has two catalytic converters and the most economical solution for a vehicle of this age is just to remove the one that has the rattle.
He says that this will not affect the emissions readings and it would still pass the MOT.

I find this a bit hard to believe.
Can anyone advise if this information is correct?

Thanks

Chris

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Could be heatshields loose as they rattle when the bracket they attach to rusts and it works itself loose. Why not get a pre-MOT emissions test done to see if they are deteriorating?

Last edited:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
As above, the heat shield above the transverse back box falls on to the box and causes a hell of a rattle.

OP
S

strokedriver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 estate 2001
Thanks.
I was given this opinion after a pre-MOT check.
The car passed the MOT a week later.

I will get the shield checked, but can anyone confirm or challenge the advice I was given by the garage?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
If diesel then no probs with cats removed. However leave the boxes in place so it appears they're there for the not check. If its petrol it should b fine with 1a removed but not both (on each bank of cylinders if its a v6 petrol)

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
320 V6 Petrol, Has four CATs, two primary up near the manifold, and two lower ones by the gearbox. You can remove the lower CATs with no detriment to the emission test, though you should remove both of the lowers not just one. I have done this to my C43(55) and it has passed the MOT emissions test three times now.
Due to changing MOT rules, though the details are not clear the car MAY fail for having the CATs missing, even if it passes the emission test, so my advice would be to cut open the lower CATs gut them and weld them back up then if they do check in the MOT then as far as they are concerned the CATs are still fitted.

Last edited:
OP
S

strokedriver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 estate 2001
It is the V6 petrol model.
Thanks for the information, very helpful.

Bollyw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 SL320 2002 CLK320
Just come back from having the innards of the middle cats removed on my CLK 320 V6 petrol. Asked them to do an MOT emissions test afterwards. Passed with ease. Total cost £50 :grin:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
As post #8 above - the advice is good.
The rattle will indeed probably be a loose catalytic converter.
This loose 'cat' will be having little beneficial effect by now anyway.
Aftermarket cats are available.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom