'Refurbing' SLK Leather Seats

S

Stevitee

If this has been covered before, please forgive me. I have an SLK 230 on a 'V' plate. The seats /interior are/is 'scarlet red' and black. I like it, not everybody does but there you go. Anyway, apart from what I understand are the usual chips and marks to the red coating on the trim, the seat themselves are ok but look tired, the driver's seat more so than the other. There no rips or tears but the seat has small creases and cracks which, when combined with a grubby worn look, the appearance is no pleasing.

I have discovered the Volico paint being marketed on eBay - I understand it is the pukka stuff, have watched the vidoes and have corresponded with the seller to establish quantities or the paint, primer and 'laquer'. So, I am on my way as it were. However, has anyone actually used it on their seats? If so, does it do what it 'says on the tin', that is, not only spruce up the colour but also mask the cracks and give 'refurbished' appearance - also, once done does it last?

Any views please?

Many thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Many members have done this to the seats, console and door handles,,there are even photos here somewhere of the cars that have been done

OP
S

Stevitee

Thanks Malcolm - that's great news. I'll do a search.

MERC210

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B CLASS 200 CDI AND e 320 cdi sln 2006 facelift
Re slk seats

HI I HAVE DONE ALL MY RED PAINTWORK WITH THE SPRAYS FROM E BAY ,HAD ALL TRIMS OFF AND MASKED UP IT COMES OUT GREAT .I ALSO SPRAYED CLEAR ON MINE WHICH FINSHED IT OFF ,IF YOU SEND ME YOUR E MAIL ADDRESS TO MINE colin1417@yahoo.co.uk i can send you some pics if that will help ,best regards

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can give you the info for removing any trims

MERC210

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B CLASS 200 CDI AND e 320 cdi sln 2006 facelift
Rf slk

HI MALCOLM I HAVE DONE ALL MY TRIM ,BUT CAN YOU HELP ME ON ANOTHER ITEM ,MY BLACK BOX HELLA IN THE BOOT WILL NOT WORK MY INTERIOR LIGHTS ,I UNDERSTAND FROM OTHERS IN THE CLUB THAT YOU MAY BE ABLE TO SORT IT OUT ,CAN YOU ADVISE PLEASE colin1417@yahoo.co.uk ,thank you

OP
S

Stevitee

Malcom, thanks for that offer but I have already troubled you enough tonight on an other thread. I think I'm ok with the trim removal - I've already had some of it apart for other reasons and completely stripped a C180 once so I am probably familiar with the 'Merc quirks'. If I get stuck I'll ask you again. Trim and stuff is usually ok for me - its the mysteries of their Vacuum systems that has me mystified ;)

Thanks again, Steve

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcom, thanks for that offer but I have already troubled you enough tonight on an other thread. I think I'm ok with the trim removal - I've already had some of it apart for other reasons and completely stripped a C180 once so I am probably familiar with the 'Merc quirks'. If I get stuck I'll ask you again. Trim and stuff is usually ok for me - its the mysteries of their Vacuum systems that has me mystified ;)

Thanks again, Steve

That took some finding the vacuum start off point,,but the other stuff I already have it printed off:D:D

OP
S

Stevitee

Malcom

Apologies for the delay in responding, bed and then work (where I am now)intervened. I do find that having go to work really does get in the way, so much these days when I actually want to be doing the things I enjoy!!

Well, if the information is printed off and its not a problem for you to send it to me that would be great and helpful. Thanks - I'll email you my address when I get home - would that be ok?

OP
S

Stevitee

I must have misunderstood what you meant about the drawings, Malcolm, sorry.

Anyway chaps a quick update to say that I obtained the Volico paint, primer and topcoat and yesterday completely 'refurbed' the SLK's interior. That's, the seats, centre console, dash and glove box and both door cards. A bit scary when everything is out of the car and then it was a race to get it all back into the car before it got dark!!

The Volico paint is absolute magic. It does everything it says on the tin and the colour match is outstanding. I recommend it.

I used the Scarlet Red (Scarletrod) spray. For the black side parts of the seats I used a bottle of the black and carefully applied it with a piece of sponge so as not to 'lose' the red stiching. They look as good as new (well, almost) now.

As a guide, if your thinking of doing the same, you'll need four cans of the coloured paint, one of primer and one of topcoat. I didn't use the primer much, only on the parts that had patches that had worn, scratched or chipped thru to the black base colour.

My thanks to all the various contributors (and Malcolm in particular) in their various threads for guidance on how to remove certain parts - especially the door cards. I didn't actually remove the seats from the car because I didn't recognise the bolts that they are secured with. Rather that bu**er about trying to get them out and then risk not being able to make them secure again I did the seats in situ. That was fun because it meant building a kind of tent inside the cabin with polythene sheeting to mask everything off. Anyway, the tent took about 30 mins to construct and after that it was plain sailing.

So, its done ...... and I'm chuffed. Good luck to anyone who wants to do it because it is really worth the effort.

Cheers

OP
S

Stevitee

....and I forgot to mention. I also rubbed everything down, including the seats using a fine grade wet and dry paper. Enough to 'flatten' the surfaces. Seems to work a treat and amazing how much dirt and crap comes off when this is done. As demonstrated in the Volico videos, I also used (carefully) a hot air gun to accelrate the various drying processes.

Job done.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom