Rejection of used car

Hannahshouse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 estate 2019
Hello. We recently purchased a MB 220 amg estate. Registered in 2019 by the 1st owners and purchased by us on the 30th April 2022 from a MB dealership in Slough. Problems were from the get go. A salesman who was economical with the truth and didn’t do anything he said he was going to do. Car wasn’t cleaned properly on handover, small chip to bonnet badly repaired and more importantly chasing for service and Mot documentation to be confirmed. To aid insult to injury a putrid smell of puke in the car. MB offered smelliest for the car then took it back to out a smoke bomb in the ac unit. The smell remains. Someone else’s details on the car phone set up including their numbers. No boot liner which the salesman supposedly ordered. Chased it but never got a call back. 120 miles later the cars brakes go into complete failure whilst driving on the A4. Limped home and called MB RAC. They said the car shouldn’t be driven as the servo had gone. The car was taken away to MB Reading following my lack of trust with MB Slough. I was advised that the tandem pump had gone and that this was a serious repair with the engine needing to be removed. Apparently a problem with this model. That was 5 weeks ago. Still no car and now on my third loan vehicle. I contacted MB Slough to request a rejection of the vehicle as clearly there is a problem. Was told because I purchased the car albeit now 11 weeks ago and the car was OK on purchase we were not entitled to hand the car back. Seriously we have been MB customers for the past 6 years. During this time we have purchased new cars. Never will we purchase a used car again. We have lost faith in MB. I have made a total of 24 calls to the branch via Gateshead, dreadful system. No one gets back to you. Emails don’t get answered and the sales pitch for a used car with one garage is untrustworthy. Very very unhappy- too worried to drive the car when I finally do get it back. 120 miles from owning it I have been offered £6k less than we paid for it. So in 11 weeks it’s list money even though the mileage is low From ownership. Keep getting critical error battery warnings now. Called twice for this to be dealt with. Never again- will go back to Audi

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
To aid insult to injury a putrid smell of puke in the car. MB offered smelliest for the car then took it back to out a smoke bomb in the ac unit. The smell remains.
That sounds like spilled milk to me, the smell just gets worse as time goes on, only way is to replace the carpets/fabrics that are affected.

Welcome to the forum and sadly good bye :rolleyes:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hello. We recently purchased a MB 220 amg estate. Registered in 2019 by the 1st owners and purchased by us on the 30th April 2022 from a MB dealership in Slough. Problems were from the get go. A salesman who was economical with the truth and didn’t do anything he said he was going to do. Car wasn’t cleaned properly on handover, small chip to bonnet badly repaired and more importantly chasing for service and Mot documentation to be confirmed. To aid insult to injury a putrid smell of puke in the car. MB offered smelliest for the car then took it back to out a smoke bomb in the ac unit. The smell remains. Someone else’s details on the car phone set up including their numbers. No boot liner which the salesman supposedly ordered. Chased it but never got a call back. 120 miles later the cars brakes go into complete failure whilst driving on the A4. Limped home and called MB RAC. They said the car shouldn’t be driven as the servo had gone. The car was taken away to MB Reading following my lack of trust with MB Slough. I was advised that the tandem pump had gone and that this was a serious repair with the engine needing to be removed. Apparently a problem with this model. That was 5 weeks ago. Still no car and now on my third loan vehicle. I contacted MB Slough to request a rejection of the vehicle as clearly there is a problem. Was told because I purchased the car albeit now 11 weeks ago and the car was OK on purchase we were not entitled to hand the car back. Seriously we have been MB customers for the past 6 years. During this time we have purchased new cars. Never will we purchase a used car again. We have lost faith in MB. I have made a total of 24 calls to the branch via Gateshead, dreadful system. No one gets back to you. Emails don’t get answered and the sales pitch for a used car with one garage is untrustworthy. Very very unhappy- too worried to drive the car when I finally do get it back. 120 miles from owning it I have been offered £6k less than we paid for it. So in 11 weeks it’s list money even though the mileage is low From ownership. Keep getting critical error battery warnings now. Called twice for this to be dealt with. Never again- will go back to Audi
Why bother with the post then?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
That sounds like spilled milk to me, the smell just gets worse as time goes on, only way is to replace the carpets/fabrics that are affected.

Welcome to the forum and sadly good bye :rolleyes:
If u believe u have a case, document all and go to small claims court.hindsight great, but prob u shud have not made payment until vehicle was to your satisfaction I sure as hxxx wud not have, and as far as used car salesmen are concerned, mb or any other my view, if mouth open they are surely lying.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Another 220 AMG...

Should change name to Karen .

richlumb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 350d
Get in touch with MB customer services at HQ and go above the dealership, that’s what I did with great success

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I pretty confident small print in papers u signed will near absolve. dealer of anything except act of God, where no cover exist. But judge at small claims may have a more sympathetic view.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I agree the OP is unlikely to post again, but do we have to mock someone who has had a bad experience with an MB dealer?

I suspect most of us have been lied to by car salesmen, it’s not funny when it happens to you!
In the Car Salesman's defence I think there are exceptions in this. In the 70's I was a Car Salesman and as a Car Salesman we always used to sell to go back, what I mean by this the repeat business was our bread and butter so it was important that there were no surprises for the customer.

As a salesman we knew which cars on the lot were going to be rogues and we steered the customer away from them. We didn't want the aggravation that went with them any more than the customer. There were a few of us who cared, even though it may have been or our own benefit too. :)

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
I've lost track of how many times I've said it before but, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 is quite powerful.
There's every possibility the OP has left it too late and, not done the correct thing, for it to come to their aid now.
I pretty confident small print in papers u signed will near absolve. dealer of anything except act of God, where no cover exist. But judge at small claims may have a more sympathetic view.
Terms and conditions cannot overwrite statute.

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
In the Car Salesman's defence I think there are exceptions in this. In the 70's I was a Car Salesman and as a Car Salesman we always used to sell to go back, what I mean by this the repeat business was our bread and butter so it was important that there were no surprises for the customer.

As a salesman we knew which cars on the lot were going to be rogues and we steered the customer away from them. We didn't want the aggravation that went with them any more than the customer. There were a few of us who cared, even though it may have been or our own benefit too. :)
I give you the example of my recent purchase of a C216

Promised a service - Falsified service history, no oil change, no filters, nothing at all
Promised a valet - Had a bucket of dirty water thrown over it

In 35 years of buying cars, I have yet to meet a salesman that kept their word on what they offered

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Promised a service - Falsified service history, no oil change, no filters, nothing at all

In 35 years of buying cars, I have yet to meet a salesman that kept their word on what they offered
I'm sorry to here that Richard. I can only speak for the way I, and a few colleagues behaved. Just for the record I bought my current car from a dealer over 150 miles away from were we lived. All negotiations were done either on line or be telephone. A service was promised and carried out by MB of Canterbury, and the car was fully valeted.

I bought the car on description from Jason the Salesman and he priced my part exchange from my description, both were accompanied by photographs. The car was delivered by the boss Matthew Would I buy from them again even though we now live a little further away ? Yes I would. The Dealer concerned was a pleasure to deal with and they had over 400 good reviews attached to their web site. Sounds too good to be true ? They were Northover Cars of Whistable, they come highly recommended. :)

Last edited:

aquanaut

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 C63s AMG
cs.uk@cac.mercedes-benz.com
email merc customer services at the above address. You will receive a reply and likely a phone call from their Dutch offices. I had problems with my used C63s. promised all the missing kit and it never arrived. Customer services sorted it. So hopefully they will help you out.

Sleibhin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169 K6 A180 CDi Avantgarde SE
Probably doesn't help you, but why pay all that money for a car that wasn't reedy for you?

If I were to spend that much money on a used car, I would pay for it when it had the boot liner, when the interior was professionally cleaned, and when I could see the service history, and I would purchase a warranty before driving away, etc.

The servo is a bummer.

I also read up on specific models before I go ahead so I can ask if x, y, z that is a known issue has been checked / recall done etc.

Having said that, within a week the water pump went on a previous used Mercedes I owned, a week after replacing that at the dealership - I was ripped off by an independent mobile alarm fitter who told me I needed a new Ecu (just by looking at the car) (alarm wouldn't turn off) and I paid for that plus a new toad alarm system - thinking back using what I know now, the £1 battery in the fob was probably dead

None of this, plus the issues I've had with a few other Mercedes vehicles, has caused me avoid the marque entirely.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Probably doesn't help you, but why pay all that money for a car that wasn't reedy for you?

If I were to spend that much money on a used car, I would pay for it when it had the boot liner, when the interior was professionally cleaned, and when I could see the service history, and I would purchase a warranty before driving away, etc.

The servo is a bummer.

I also read up on specific models before I go ahead so I can ask if x, y, z that is a known issue has been checked / recall done etc.

Having said that, within a week the water pump went on a previous used Mercedes I owned, a week after replacing that at the dealership - I was ripped off by an independent mobile alarm fitter who told me I needed a new Ecu (just by looking at the car) (alarm wouldn't turn off) and I paid for that plus a new toad alarm system - thinking back using what I know now, the £1 battery in the fob was probably dead

None of this, plus the issues I've had with a few other Mercedes vehicles, has caused me avoid the marque entirely.
She joined, typed a massive rant, hung about for two hours then left. None of which was going to solve any sort of a problem for her!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

I’ve been lucky with my dealers both MB and Independent, not had an issue in sorting things with any. Independent had the 2 parking dings knocked out, main dealer refurbed the wheels and changed the rear seat, other main dealer found mats, filled it with fuel and replaced the battery.
I’m well aware not all are like that and disappointed in your story :(

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom