Relative running costs of the whole W210 range

Top Cat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
(97) W202 C230 Elegance Estate
Having seen quite a few very well specified and 'right mileage' 3.2 petrol models advertised, I began to wonder what would be the extra running costs of a 320 vs 230. I imagine that it would be a tad thirstier for a start, a few groups higher for the insurance and possibly road tax, but are there any other things to consider? Is servicing necessarily more expensive - I beleive it will have a bigger sump and need more oil, does this engine have twin spark ignition?

In a nutshell, what I'm wondering is whether to consider looking at these larger engined models, and whether the increased specification and enjoyment factor would outweigh the extra running costs (BTW, i'm not at all interested in using that amount of power, but I guess it would make for a relaxing a wafting experience never the less).

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Having seen quite a few very well specified and 'right mileage' 3.2 petrol models advertised, I began to wonder what would be the extra running costs of a 320 vs 230. I imagine that it would be a tad thirstier for a start, a few groups higher for the insurance and possibly road tax, but are there any other things to consider? Is servicing necessarily more expensive - I believe it will have a bigger sump and need more oil, does this engine have twin spark ignition?

In a nutshell, what I'm wondering is whether to consider looking at these larger engined models, and whether the increased specification and enjoyment factor would outweigh the extra running costs (BTW, I'm not at all interested in using that amount of power, but I guess it would make for a relaxing a wafting experience never the less).

I am a keen student of diesel engines. The vastly superior torque enables them to operate very powerfully at low engine speeds which provides relaxed everyday motoring and, when coupled to an automatic gearbox, gives a high "waft factor" and good fuel economy.

They are generally more expensive to buy, buy at the other end of their life with you, achieve good resale values. They are generally very reliable and servicing is not expensive, without the major issue of infrequent but expensive plug changes.

If a key criterion for you is a relaxing wafting experience, look no further.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The non CDi versions are great cars, very good trouble free engines

Mr Teddy Bear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W208 CLK 230K SPORT: MG F 1.8VVC: Flame Red Rover 216GTi
Having seen quite a few very well specified and 'right mileage' 3.2 petrol models advertised, I began to wonder what would be the extra running costs of a 320 vs 230. I imagine that it would be a tad thirstier for a start, a few groups higher for the insurance and possibly road tax, but are there any other things to consider? Is servicing necessarily more expensive - I beleive it will have a bigger sump and need more oil, does this engine have twin spark ignition?

In a nutshell, what I'm wondering is whether to consider looking at these larger engined models, and whether the increased specification and enjoyment factor would outweigh the extra running costs (BTW, i'm not at all interested in using that amount of power, but I guess it would make for a relaxing a wafting experience never the less).
I assume you're refering to the 2.3 litre supercharged four cylinder petrol [190 bhp] against the 3.2 litre V6 normally aspirated [212 bhp] ?
Buy prior to 2001 and the Road Tax will be the same.
I believe that the exhaust manifolds simeise into one exhaust system the sump holds slightly more oil, but not an appreciable amount [230 holds 6.5 litres]
I think the fuel consumption will depend on urban or motorway cruising on the motorway perhaps slightly better or comparable, I return around 29 31 mpg.
Are you offended by the kompressor roar, or is it a sweet sound?:lol:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are not they all now CDI and surely those are the engines producing the high power and acceleration coupled to frugal fuel consumption???

The 210 did not go CDI till around 1999, it was the turbo diesels before that

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
The 210 did not go CDI till around 1999, it was the turbo diesels before that

i believe mine was among the last of the turbodiesels and it is indeed a 1999 car. V plate seems to be the crossover late 1999/early 2000. great car, not bad on fuel given its size and my driving style and the area im in, few minor niggles but you get that with a car this age and mileage (144k miles in my case) but majority of parts are reasonably priced, sensible insurance, looks good, drives nice, rides brilliantly, whats not to like?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i believe mine was among the last of the turbodiesels and it is indeed a 1999 car. V plate seems to be the crossover late 1999/early 2000. great car, not bad on fuel given its size and my driving style and the area im in, few minor niggles but you get that with a car this age and mileage (144k miles in my case) but majority of parts are reasonably priced, sensible insurance, looks good, drives nice, rides brilliantly, whats not to like?

Many would never go over to a CDI after owning one of these, you can use many other fuels too

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many would never go over to a CDI after owning one of these, you can use many other fuels too

i wanted a cdi but my budget wouldnt stretch that far unless it had silly mileage on it! what other fuels can be used? is that in the cdi engine or the turbodiesel?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i wanted a cdi but my budget wouldnt stretch that far unless it had silly mileage on it! what other fuels can be used? is that in the cdi engine or the turbodiesel?

You can use cooking oil in the turbo version, not the CDI

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You can use cooking oil in the turbo version, not the CDI

we put waste cooking oil (converted to biodiesel) in dads 203 and it killed the performance. not much, but noticeably! i thought that was dodgy for the pump seals in the turbodiesels?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
we put waste cooking oil (converted to biodiesel) in dads 203 and it killed the performance. not much, but noticeably! i thought that was dodgy for the pump seals in the turbodiesels?

Loads use it Pete,,, Hibbo was the expert on this and he has just started posting again

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hmmm i may start using it if diesel gets much dearer! or cooking oil gets cheaper!

i will have to look out for this hibbo character. could be a useful kind of chap to know!

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hmmm i may start using it if diesel gets much dearer! or cooking oil gets cheaper!

i will have to look out for this hibbo character. could be a useful kind of chap to know!

Find him in the search and read some of the post around 2006-7

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>You can use cooking oil in the turbo version

Most unwise.

As well as the advocates for comedy fuels, it's as well to also read the threads of those who have run into bother. For example, Spock500's gummed up piston rings.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have been fascinated by some of the people I know who go out of their way to find bio-diesel, some times from curious sources.

These folk have bought excellent, high tech, expensive cars and yet will strive to save a few pence on fuel costs in this way. As has been pointed out, by Number_Cruncher, it has not always been universally successful.

Perhaps a case of "Pound wise, penny foolish" - just the reverse of the old adage, and perhaps the illusion of economy?

OP
Top Cat

Top Cat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
(97) W202 C230 Elegance Estate
Sorry guys, this thread seems to have gone down the diesel route by mistake. I should have been more specific in the OP, but I am referring to mid 90's spec early 210s with the 4 pot 230 vs 320 petrol.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry guys, this thread seems to have gone down the diesel route by mistake. I should have been more specific in the OP, but I am referring to mid 90's spec early 210s with the 4 pot 230 vs 320 petrol.

Drat - busted! :Oops::shock: My fault I'm afraid. :( You could ask the jury to ignore my comments? (but they have already heard them!). :rolleyes:

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211

I did note that but when 'oil burner' fans start cooking with oil there is no stopping them and the original post goes out of the window:rolleyes:

So come on you 'petrol heads' answer the man:cool:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I did note that but when 'oil burner' fans start cooking with oil there is no stopping them and the original post goes out of the window:rolleyes:

So come on you 'petrol heads' answer the man:cool:

I had the same engine in my 320 SL a great engine and they return a good mileage with little problems.

The only odd thing it that the 240 210 will get through the odd coil pack, but the SL does not

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom