Remap worth it ?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's

This is the cetane improver that is in the ultimate etc fuels. Makes a big difference and you only need 10-15ml per tank to make a big difference.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
The other thing to remeber is multiple models from the same manufacturer with the same engine. Often power outputs are decided on model arrangements rather than what the engine can make. EG S63 > 600 > 65. The 600 engine can safely make close power to the 65 engine with just software. Same with the diesels in A classes etc. Same 651 in multiple states of tune, some for tax bracket purposes. VW are well known for doing this ( as well as other things.....)

john campbell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E250 sport deisel
I already use that in my car and still use shell premium fuel.......... You can keep supermarket fuel for the old tractor engines thanks

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Lol .

Supermarket fuel for 30 years...

Still you're funding more tax .

john campbell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E250 sport deisel
Guess I'm a fuel snob........... but on a good side I have never had any problems with injectors or pumps giving me trouble so it must count for something. A few of my mates only use supermarket fuel in there cars and had plenty of problems with pumps and injectors. I also see a lot of petrol cars with problems when run on cheap petrol.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Cheap petrol , it's a matter of octane number .

All the fuels in an area come from the same place !

The whole thing has industry standards and is exactly the same thing with supermarket engine oil , industry standards....

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Cheap petrol , it's a matter of octane number .

All the fuels in an area come from the same place !

The whole thing has industry standards and is exactly the same thing with supermarket engine oil , industry standards....

There are a few long threads on the "over the counter additives" vs "supermarket fuel" vs "premium fuels".

My observation is that opinions fall into two groups - those that are happy to muck around trying to save a few pennies by throwing additives into cheap fuel and those like @john campbell and myself that cannot be ar$$ed to muck about with additives and potential long term damage, subjective gains etc, and "never the twain shall meet".

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
How is it mucking around as 2-EHN is T H E Cetane additive in varying amounts in all diesel .

Screenshot_20210128-104705_Chrome.jpg

Cetane number decides on how good the combustion is producing less unburnt diesel fuel molecules - soot.

Millers ECOMAX , it's 2-EHN .
mil_ecomax-diesel.jpg

We are conned in the UK because Cetane number is not disclosed at the fuel pumps .

A few pennies , it's hundreds a year depending on mileage !!

s-l400 (5).jpg
If you even higher dose @ 40ml per tank that's 125 doses out of 5L for £36 , less than 29p per tank !

Long term damage , lmfao .

A Mercedes independent has spoken .

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
The other thing with re-maps that people forget is simply that Manufacturers do NOT program the engine to be as efficient as possible - they program them to be as efficient as possible under one very specific set of circumstances - the fuel test.

Whole fleets are ordered based on the CO2 figures of this test, many showroom customers look at the "fuel efficiency" figures and make at least some of their choice based on these figures and not the "actual consumption" they get in real life.

I am sure a tuner could explain it better, but as I understand it, the test is very clear and strict in exactly what you do for the test, so all the manufacturer has to do is make sure it's car is as economical as possible on that test. Then secondly, they make it as nice the rest of the time.

The remappers don't have that restriction, they can make it as good as it can be across the whole range, making it not just efficient under certain conditions, but efficient over all conditions. They can base it on the best fuel available not the worst fuel available in that country, and for the likely ambient temperatures of that country, not allowing for -40c up to +40c - neither of which we are ever likely to see here.

I think that is why the remap can give so much.

Top Bottom