Remapping

johno2004

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK32 AMG
Hi,

I have been looking in to remapping my SLK32 AMG for a couple of weeks now and have got a couple of quotes.

The companys iv'e tried are:

GCL which i believe use this forum and are well recomended through searches iv'e found on forum.

They can offer a 15-20 BHP and 20 NM Torque Gain, I dont supose this will transform the car to much, but the say it will improve the drive and MPG on a like for like driving basis. And i believe they are TUV Approved, Could someone explain that approval ?.

The other compaqny is:

Torquing BHP Ltd in Cambridge.

There quote was to remap with gains from 354 BHP to 384 and torque from 450nm to 488 with similar results on better driving and MPG. They will also take off the top end limiter ( which might be fun when i take it to Germany )
There is no mention of TUV Approval so i would like to know the importance of the approval is.

They both had roughly the same prices £410 for GCL and 499 +vat for Torquing but that included taking off limiter.

Does anyone have experiance with these companys, and are the improvements worth the £££ to change over.

Any Comments Appreciated or if anyone knows of other rep. companys i could contact for a quote.

Thanks

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I don't think you will notice much difference to be honest, for over £400, not worth it in my opinion.

Russ

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I don't think you will notice much difference to be honest, for over £400, not worth it in my opinion.

Russ

Quite agree Russ. I doubt if most of us use the final 6 or 7% of the power band very often, if at all. As for the fuel saving, it is likely to be offset when trying out the "extra" power.

Against which there is always the downside risk that the "improved drive" may not prove to be an improvement - how would you measure that? Very subjective and you might persuade yourself, having spent the money.

Maybe I am just too Scottish?

I once changed the carburration on a V4 SAAB (changed the auto choke, single choke Fomoco carb to a Webber twin choke manual choke carb, and fitted a wider exhaust system with better gas flow). That increased the power at the driving wheels by around 30% and gave a huge increase in torque. Cost £100 (fitted, no VAT in 1973) - and boy, that gave an improved drive!

I think the cars we have these days are so well engineered, it is difficult to produce that level of improvement for reasonable cost.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
Wonder what the gain would be on mine. :lol:

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
I agree that it seems a small power gain for £400.

As for the mpg gain, it will take a while to get your £400 back.

Can you be "too" Scottish Alex?

clive-cls

Banned
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been looking in to remapping my SLK32 AMG for a couple of weeks now and have got a couple of quotes.

The companys iv'e tried are:

GCL which i believe use this forum and are well recomended through searches iv'e found on forum.

They can offer a 15-20 BHP and 20 NM Torque Gain, I dont supose this will transform the car to much, but the say it will improve the drive and MPG on a like for like driving basis. And i believe they are TUV Approved, Could someone explain that approval ?.

The other compaqny is:

Torquing BHP Ltd in Cambridge.

There quote was to remap with gains from 354 BHP to 384 and torque from 450nm to 488 with similar results on better driving and MPG. They will also take off the top end limiter ( which might be fun when i take it to Germany )
There is no mention of TUV Approval so i would like to know the importance of the approval is.

They both had roughly the same prices £410 for GCL and 499 +vat for Torquing but that included taking off limiter.

Does anyone have experiance with these companys, and are the improvements worth the £££ to change over.

Any Comments Appreciated or if anyone knows of other rep. companys i could contact for a quote.

Thanks

Hi, Ive had my CLS Remapped by GCL, and I really couldn't recommend them enough, the difference it made to mine was amazing. They will also take the speed limiter off for you aswell usually for no extra charge. But obviously mine is turbo-charged, so im not sure what sort of difference a remap to yours would make as it is normally aspirated
I think the TUV approval is a German standard, so I think if they carry this standard then the remaps are checked first before they are put on the car, im not 100% sure though.
Do Torquing bhp use custom software? I know GCL are fully custom so the remapping can be tweaked but I havn't heard of this company....its a lot of money if there remap isn't custom.
The gains are a bit more with them aswell, I wonder if they offer warranty? I think GCL will increase the gains but only up to the level that they cover with warranty.

Clive

Cyclone1

Reaction score
The biggest gain you'll get on your car from remapping will be an increase of a max of 20bhp through the rev range. The most important aspect of remapping this engine is to have the map modified for driveability and sharper throttle response.

Many mapping companies make claims purely based on power gains and many of them are unrealistic. It also makes me chuckle when I read "bespoke" maps, bespoke in this case may mean that a map has been written especially for one particular type of marque and then flashed many times onto that marque thereafter, or it may be that a certain tuner does have in house capability to write maps but in a lot of instances will use a base map to work from.

£400 is a fair amount of money for a remap on any car, but if you feel confident that a certain tuner can deliver to your expectations then go for it.

If and when I eventually get an E55 AMG I'll be going down the route of mapping / pulley change and will be using a Tuning company that I trust, as I have used them in the past. Gains on the 55 are pretty good (50-60bhp) once the crank pulley has been changed and a remap applied.

Jules.

Last edited:

rovingHawk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230K, Mondeo Estate, Blackbird
Since when was the SLK32 normally aspirated? The one I drove had one of those supercharger thingies under the bonnet?

RH

Cyclone1

Reaction score
Since when was the SLK32 normally aspirated? The one I drove had one of those supercharger thingies under the bonnet?

RH

Absolutely right :Oops: For some reason I had 320 in my head whilst typing!

Jules.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wonder if they offer warranty? I think GCL will increase the gains but only up to the level that they cover with warranty.

Clive

Has anyone ever read the terms of these warranties?
I would have a good read at the small print first.

Russ

clive-cls

Banned
Reaction score
yes ive read the T&C's . The warranty will cover anything that the remap can affect (in simple terms) of course its subject to not abusing the vehicle and not adding any modifications that will disrupt the software (without having them built into the software when applicable)

Auto express have reviewed GCL and they say that they are supplling MB dealers in holland so for MB to do this thay must have somthing more than average to offer! This can be seen below.

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=53131

Clive

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
I'm beginning to think that Clive is more than just a 'satisfied customer' for GCL..... ;)

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
yes ive read the T&C's . The warranty will cover anything that the remap can affect (in simple terms) of course its subject to not abusing the vehicle and not adding any modifications that will disrupt the software (without having them built into the software when applicable)

In other words, if the remap is faulty & causes your engine or gearbox to explode, the warranty will cover it.

If your engine or gearbox explodes simply due to the increase in torque, tough luck. I think that more or less sums up these warranties.

Russ

clive-cls

Banned
Reaction score
I belive if the remap causes anything to fail the warranty will cover it for as long as its not through misuse.

I thing that if you have an issue talk to gcl direct

Clive

ricky s

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as signature
My thoughts on this warrenty issure regarding remapping, is that its more than likley to cover the ECU only, any further mechanical coverage, if thats what is being suggested, is in my eyes unlikley, and would leave the remap company wide open for various claims. However I could be wrong.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom