Remote Central Locking problems :-( 220

anditover

Reaction score
I am really stuck guys! I have limited funds being made redundant so9me months ago and cant through money away at a dealership if I can avoid it. I would be so happy if a way around this is possible.

I have a 1996 N plate C220 Elegance and I cant open the thing with my remote. I dont have a spare key for the remote as it has been lost during my recent separation from my wife.

This problem has been made worse due to the fact my spare remote was the only key that would work manually on the passenger door and the boot!
This is due to my ignition barrel having to be changed earlier this year when my steering lock failed.

As you can guess im in a bit of a mess with this problem and dont know how to proceed. I am cautious of taking apart the remote key fob as i dont have a way to open the car to reprogram the key after its been reassembled.

Any advise or suggestions would be so very gratefully recieved.

my contact details are -

Andy Buhlman

email:
andyforit@yahoo.co.uk
or
anditover@msn.com

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Sounds like you've had a rough time of it Andy. Hopefully we can help.

First things first - does the remote work at all?
Press the button and look at the remote lens through a digital camera (a phone camera will do). If its working you should see the IR light flicker in the camera.
The most common failure on there remotes is the button. Simple cheap fix but we need to confirm that this is the problem.
If it is working, then it may be that you need to resync the remote with the car. Do a search on here for the procedure. Its something like key on and off then point the remote at the mirror etc etc.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Have you tried the key in front of a digital camera to see if it emits an IR beam

Attachments

• Picture 249.jpg
    Picture 249.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 23
OP
A

anditover

Reaction score
flashing ir

Hello and thanks for getting back to me. I have tried looking at the red area that should transmit the IR beam through my camera but Im afraid I cant see any flashing.
I have put 2 brand new batteries in the remote since it stopped working to see if that was the problem but alas it wasnt!

Andy

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You can send the key to me if you wish and I will see if it can be fixed

wayne t

Reaction score
thats a good link mate. my key is knackered also and im in the middle of repairing mine. defo worth a go

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Thats a very kind offer! I have found this link from anyweb do you think this could well be my problem?

http://www.niallbrady.com/mycar/c220/fixkey.html

Regards

Andy

Absolutely.
Sounds like the button is the problem and Niall's post would definately be your next port of call. (That or, if you're a bit nervous of soldering irons and PCBs - posting off to Malcolm and taking up his generous offer)

OP
A

anditover

Reaction score
So very grateful!

I am happy to tell you guys that this morning with the help of my fathers steady hand, we were able to re-solder the switch to the circuit board of the key fob!
I must say that without your help I would not have my car back on the road for quite some time. The advice and pictures were the inspiration I needed to have the confidence to tackle the problem.

Many thanks

Andy

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom