Removal of W202 rubbing strips and sill covers.

rx6180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ageing W202 C200 with rust
It's been a while since I've been here. February to be exact. Partly due to computer probs shortly after my last posting. Anyway, I've had a search for answers to my problem and couldn't find any, so can anyone tell me how to safely and non destructively remove the side rubbing strips on my '99 W202 behind the front wheels and ahead of the rear wheels, and also the plastic sill covers? I need to embark on round two of my attempts to erradicate and repair the inevitable rust on the wheel arches and this time around I think I need to get the trims off to do a better job. My Haynes manual doesn't seem to cover things like removing body trim, and my impression is that I'm going to break something if I try to pull it off and then it won't go back! Cheers.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
The rubbing strip can be removed by opening the door, and you will see a nylon nut in the area of the strip, undo this and the trim should slide off its clips.

OP
rx6180

rx6180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 side rubbing strip

do you mean near 5 in the link and the same on the rear panel.

Saloon or estate

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GM=716.624&CT=F&cat=45H&SID=88&SGR=015&SGN=01

Hi Malcolm. Yes, the trim I am talking about is in position 5 on your diagram. I have a 'T' prefix C200 saloon. Bigasotonuk seems to have answered my question about the front trim, so is the nut for the rear one concealed in the murk under the wheel arch? Actually my car is fairly clean underneath thanks to a Karcher jet wash! The only reason why I am considering removing the full length plastic sill covers is because on my rear wheel arches, the return lip just above the sill (and below the side trim) is bubbled so a better job could be done with the sill cover out of the way. It looks as though there is a series of clips of some sort running the length of the sill under the car, but at the rear, where the fit isn't too good, I can also see some kind of sponge strip which I imagine is self adhesive and which might need replacing if the sill cover is removed. Also, from memory (sitting here in my living room) I think the top of the sill cover, visible when the door is open, doesn't seem to have any visible means of fixing, so again, I imagine some destruction of adhesive might result in my attempting to remove these covers. Thanks, Mick.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
See what I can find

Dave Brooker

Reaction score
Hi Malcolm. Yes, the trim I am talking about is in position 5 on your diagram. I have a 'T' prefix C200 saloon.

They just clip on, just grab it and pull it off (carefully).

The sill covers are attached along the floorpan with clips and on the sill behind a trim cover.

All easy to take off and replace without any damage or new clips being needed.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All I have is the AMG retro fit that includes taking off the sill covers, it will help a lot

OP
rx6180

rx6180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have you a link to a diagram for the AMG sill covers, Malcolm? I can see the clips underneath but I thought the top part, visible where you open the door, wasn't retained by anything I could see. As Dave Brooker says, the side rubbing strips must be pull-off jobs, as I can find no nylon nuts behind them. At the front, you open the door and all I see is wing, at the rear it is all metal and no nuts under the car too.

I can rub the paint down and mask up to the trims like I did two years ago, but I know there is rust lurking under there! :neutral:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pop an Email address up for a few mins and I can send the paper

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent it,,go back and delete your address in edit

Daves post was spot on :D:D thank you

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom