Removing a 722.6 trans & maybe engine simulatneously from a W202 C250 TD. Tips?

chizzel89

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C250 Turbodiesel Sport Auto. Estate. 1998. 180,000 mls
I need to bite the bullet and remove the engine and box from my donor car.

I have a two post car lift and a transmission jack and decent quality 3/8" and 1/2" socketry etc with lots and lots of extensions, UJs, wobble extensions etc, so it shouldn't be too difficult?

Should I remove the engine and box together using the front arms of the lift with straps looped on to lift them out or is it safer to remove the trans separately?
I would probably have to put a counter weight on the rear arms of the lift to do this as it says on the lift manual not to load up one side only.

I can't help noticing that the engine and box will need to be tilted back in situ to allow the trans to be unhooked from the engine, which could be hard to control up in the air. I really don't want to damage anything as it was a mission to get the car home.

It is a 1997 C250 TD Elegance saloon with 175k miles, very clean, with good service history. I paid £190 for it on ebay because the owners wife slid it into a lamp post and smashed in a rear door and the sill. Car drove perfectly though and still has tax & MOT. Transmission shifts perfectly (far better than my one) and is quiet, and had the trans fluid & filter done about 15k miles ago with genuine 236.14 MB fluid.

Has anyone seen any good how-to guides on removing the engine and box in a W202?

Cheers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
All I can say is that joined together they are quite some length and it need some good equipment to get it out the front end,,, many do it that way but as said it does require a engine lift of some height. One could always lift it all on a static lift/hoist and roll the car out one the box end is clear

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
I done a 4 cyl petrol with box attached single handed its a doodle hired an engine lift with wheels from hss and bought a trolley jack

if you need any more info pm me

Last edited:

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
You will need to have clearance underneath if you are tilting the combined engine gearbox down. I would remove any plastic assemblies liable to be broken during the lift such as the cooling fan etc. Remove the radiator and its associated ducting/surrounds etc If you can remove the top bonnet slam panel as it stretches across the front of the engine compartment [ some are bolted --some spot welded] that should help with clearance. Get at least 1 pref 2 helpers its not a one man job!

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
Other than it being a diesel graham i done it no probs single handed

OP
C

chizzel89

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C250 Turbodiesel Sport Auto. Estate. 1998. 180,000 mls
The exhaust is off already, so I'll take the cooling fan off and go about removing the radiator and removable bits of the front panel.
I think taking the whole lot out in one go is the way to go by the sounds of it. Will look into hiring am engine hoist for the weekend maybe next week and get all the other dismantling done this weekend.

Can I leave most of the fluid in the transmission and the lube oil in the engine? I will have to plug the cooler lines anyway to stop dirt getting in, and I think machinery is best left in storage with oil in rather then empty.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom