Removing W124 dash wood trim

Reaction score
I'm thinking of upgrading my current Zebrano wood dash trim on my W124 to Walnut; I've found some of the bits on eBay, but I'm not sure how to remove the strips that run along the dash.

The center console and heater trim is relatively straightforward, but how are the strips removed?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
All held on with nuts.

I do the dash removing papers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is a steering wheel off job, I need an Email address

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
It is a steering wheel off job

It's a tear your hair out job! It's not particularly difficult but there will be occasions when you doubt your sanity and wonder why you started in the first place

Not trying to put you off or anything...

Here's a tip: to remove the nuts that secure the centre console use a 1/4" drive 8 mm socket in a set of slim mole grips. This should let you loosen off the nuts and you can then remove them by hand if you (or your 4-year-old) have small, strong fingers

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's a tear your hair out job! It's not particularly difficult but there will be occasions when you doubt your sanity and wonder why you started in the first place

Not trying to put you off or anything...

Here's a tip: to remove the nuts that secure the centre console use a 1/4" drive 8 mm socket in a set of slim mole grips. This should let you loosen off the nuts and you can then remove them by hand if you (or your 4-year-old) have small, strong fingers

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

I helped a guy in the states who wanted to fix his air con, he got the dash out but it took him a couple of days.

I have had to break down the instruction into 6 pages for it was too large to Email

Smudge

Reaction score
Here is a suggestion that will probably get me shot!
Remove the old trim by breaking it off being careful not to damage surounding area. Then use epozy to fit the new section without the nuts. The trim by ignition switch clips in anyway. Section by light switch held in by clips and switch nut. Glove box is nuts too but easy done by removing inner cover.

OP

Reaction score
It is a steering wheel off job, I need an Email address

Thanks, PM sent.

Here is a suggestion that will probably get me shot!
Remove the old trim by breaking it off being careful not to damage surounding area. Then use epozy to fit the new section without the nuts.

I know how you feel; I sometimes feel like doing this, but I'd like to bolt them on properly if possible.

Glove box is nuts too but easy done by removing inner cover.

Ah; Mine has a passenger airbag, so maybe not quite so easy.

OP

Reaction score
After much swearing, I've managed to do one section; the piece above the light switch.

I found that I had to remove the vent, light switch assembly, and remove the bolts holding the lower dash panel on, then I could get a socket behind the dash to undo the two bolts holding the trim.

While I had these bits off, I also replaced the bulbs in the vent and the light switch with white LEDs; they are much brighter and look fantastic at night. Of course, there's also the fact that I won't need to replace them ever again.

Here's the finished result, I think it's quite an improvement over the Zebrano:

ji2o2b.jpg

Only 3 more sections to go.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent you info on removing the grills, if you need more please ask

Top Bottom