Rental E-Scooters legal from Saturday

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I don’t agree. Why do you think that and how would it help? ‘Road Tax’ or VED as it is now is a pollution tax which for cyclists would be zero but insurance, yes.
This could be one of the benefits of a hire scheme is that insurance is included like it is on the TFL cycles.

What is ved supposed to be for?? And how are facilities that cyclists use and all the road alterations made for cyclists to be funded?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Every one driving on the roads should have to pay a road tax and insurance . And every one doing a fiddle should pay double out their own pocket not the company ha ha that would bring in a few extra pounds

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
What is ved supposed to be for?? And how are facilities that cyclists use and all the road alterations made for cyclists to be funded?

Antagonism towards cyclists always strikes me as strange. It's one less car on the road, surely?

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I had a shock the other day when i saw a cyclist actually do a life saver before sticking his hand out to turn right...
Cant remember the last time i saw that..

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
So just to add to the general melee on city streets we add scooters.

Clearly the NHS are not busy enough and the great ruse of not enforcing helmet wearing so we can add some deaths and brain injuries to the mix is pure genius.

Still as stated above you now have another hazard to be responsible for.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Clearly the NHS are not busy enough and the great ruse of not enforcing helmet wearing so we can add some deaths and brain injuries to the mix is pure genius.

It shouldn't just be the motorcyclist that are the donors,
so maybe the NHS are just short of supply.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002

I thought it was quite obvious. It is a tax on pollution and goes into the general taxation pot e.g has nothing to do with funding roads or cycle paths etc.
Ever considered that cyclists might also drive and have a job and so pay tax too :rolleyes:

the antagonism towards cyclists is down to the fact that most cyclists seem to think that traffic laws dont apply to them ie red lights, pedestrian crossings, indicating intentions.

Really? :rolleyes:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Ved is only a pollution tax of recent its been around as long as I have been driving, and I ALSO paid tax on my salary... I just don't get why Any road user should think the access is free for some, cyclist want changes to road structures, let them pay towards it.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
Ved is only a pollution tax of recent its been around as long as I have been driving, and I ALSO paid tax on my salary... I just don't get why Any road user should think the access is free for some, cyclist want changes to road structures, let them pay towards it.

Why do you think it is free?
Do you also not think that people have a right to use the road that we ALL pay for in a way that some duckhead in a car/van/lorry is not going to kill or injure them.

We get a few travellers in an area not far from here who as far as I am aware are free to take a horse and cart on the road without paying anything and quite a few other horseriders.

I also don’t think you have been driving long enough for VED to have changed significantly in what it has been used for ;)

Last edited:

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
I have long held the view that cyclists need to pay road tax, many expenses today are specific to and for benifit of cyclists. And insurance. As some premium costs are related to cyclist specific risks. I just can't see why cyclists believe motorists should keep paying these costs

I don't disagree, but would argue the cost should be somewhat "nominal". As a cycling commuter, I would be more than happy to pay some form of tax. That tax should probably be not more than £50 per year and possibly have a bit of discount for low income earners.

There are some fringe benefits to cycling such as health and pollution control. One could possibly argue that bike don't wreck the road like cars do (potholes, linemarking etc).

The problem is that I don't think the tax should prohibit people from getting on their bike.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Check out a Seago folding e bike, developed for the boating folk, by Seago yachting on the sarf coast.

I have one. Excellent bit of kit. Folds to go in the car, or put in its supplied bag and take it on the bus. Got it through the cycle to work scheme, from here:

http://www.bikeelectric.co.uk/electric-bikes/Seago/seago-folding-ebikes.html

Have noticed price has gone up since lockdown, and possibly a waiting list. Look at chandlers not bike shops.
Do yachting people hate walking :D:D:D

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
A faster way to take the unprotected body towards tons of oncoming metal is just not what we needed.

Can you imagine the HSE giving you the ok to run them between moving machinery in the workplace without any PPE.

Why no helmets at least ?

I ride my bike with a helmet and appreciate and use cycle paths.

Lycra may be quite effective as a body part retention material but if offers little protection.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why do you think it is free?
Do you also not think that people have a right to use the road that we ALL pay for in a way that some duckhead in a car/van/lorry is not going to kill or injure them.

We get a few travellers in an area not far from here who as far as I am aware are free to take a horse and cart on the road without paying anything and quite a few other horseriders.

I also don’t think you have been driving long enough for VED to have changed significantly in what it has been used for ;)

I respect yr right to a different view, you and I, methinks are not going to agree much here. Think as posted further down £50 is not unreasonable, free to under 18,s pensioners and those with a valid disability permit.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
VED, road tax, or the pollution penalty lie as some prefer to view the massive hike on cars that aren't always proportionally inefficient should be put on fuel.

Use the roads you are paying for them.

I realise that this lets off electric whatevers but really that is a minimal effect on the destruction of the road surface until they can overcome the HGV issue, and by then we will be exchanging fuel cells at a fuelling station so they can tax that.

The insurance thing is a concern, as is penalising those that ignore legislation on the roads. For these identification is needed.

I want to see a registration plate tied to a horses tail, unless the rider would prefer to plug it in and also prevent the possible hazard to cyclists.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
I respect yr right to a different view, you and I, methinks are not going to agree much here. Think as posted further down £50 is not unreasonable, free to under 18,s pensioners and those with a valid disability permit.

No probs. I have a particular dislike for car drivers who have an entitlement issue with the road when they have no more right than anyone else :D

Out of interest what is that £50 for?
As a higher rate tax payer I would personally be looking at incentives rather than be burdened with even more tax tbh.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom