repairing broken W202 Key fob.

T

tintone

Re: broken remote control key...

A thousand thank-yous to you Andyweb! I dropped my key once too many times, you know the story I think, mechanical shock etc., but, your solution just saved me over €250!!! Excellent pictures and text. Thank you, again. Pints on me when you come to Dublin.

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
i'm delighted to hear it !

however i don't know when i'll be back in dublin (i live in sweden)

so if you are still feeling generous you are more than welcome to contribute via paypal towards my next car !

http://www.niallbrady.com/mycar/c220/

:)

cheers
anyweb

philiggy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200 CDI 2006
Thank's for that I tried it on an old one for my other merc first , worked a treat

I got the one for the car I've just bought to work, it needed the battery connection redoing as well, but its not unlocking the car, I tried doing a reset as per 124 manual but still no go

Phil

merman777

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 200K
Key fob components

Anyone know if there is anywhere you can get hold of the little bulb units (and their red covers) attached to the printed circuit boards shown in the photos of the dismantled key? (I have managed to drop and break them while struggling to open my key to change the batteries:Oops:) It is the spare key for my 2002 SLK 200Kompressor. :sad:

Last edited:

jrm78

Reaction score
When soldering 4 legs of switch does it matter which side is up?

All four legs of the switch of my electronic key has been detached. I will bring it tomorrow monring to a mobile phone technician to have it soldered as I fear my soldering gun's point is too big and my hands aren't steady enough. Does it matter which side of the switch is north or south. I have noticed the switch can be rotated 180 degrees and the legs will match the points where they are supposed to be soldered.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As long as you fit it so the the flat part of the legs are the same way round, it does not matter what way it goes on.

If you look closely you will see the way it was on the board by looking at the solder fractures

jrm78

Reaction score
Thanks for advice

Thanks for the advice Malcolm. i saw your earlier post where you mentioned the kind of switch involved and that this can easily be bought in case any of the legs are broken. It must be about the kind of switch why it doesn't matter the side it is soldered so long as the four legs properly meet or match the base in the board.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On those tactile switches you have the 4 legs, they are a double contact, 2 of the legs are all one circuit, and the other two make contact to the joined pair if this make sense when the button is pushed

D

delrobbo

many thanks to ANYWEB now got my keyfob apart its the same as your great pics just got to get hold of a soldering gun and give it a go. will post results.

carl evans

Reaction score
hi anyweb i noticed that you said to put both batteries back in when re-assembling the keyfob, my keyfob for my 1995 c180 just fell apart when i was starting the car but there was only one battery but it had been working before it fell apart. I have checked the switch and it is fine, so i put two batteries in but still no joy, do the batteries both go the same way up? and any other suggestions that could help would be much appreciated.Many thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Batteries when two of them, both go the same way up.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
As said, both batteries should be facing up the same way WITH THE + SIGN on battery uppermost.There should be a contact resting on top of the top battery.
I believe that if the batteries are absent from the key fob for more than 1 minute then the key needs to be synchronized.

Sit in car.
Point key fob at rear view mirror.
Press button TWICE in quick succession.
Put key in ignition WITHIN 30 seconds and turn to position 2 that is just before start.

I think that’s right, someone will soon correct me if I am wrong.

Dec

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
It won’t do any harm to check the fob when you are at it.

Dec

attachment.php

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It won’t do any harm to check the fob when you are at it.

Dec

attachment.php

I will keep your picture,its better than mine and give it out :D

carl evans

Reaction score
success

Hi all, I have replaced the batteries and this time i have put two of them in, i did the checks and the red light is there but it dim, but it works for the first time in nearly 5 months, and as i have no spare it was quite a bit of trouble locking and unlocking the car from the passenger's door. Thankyou so much to everyone for the help................... I LOVE THIS SITE !!!!!

Top Bottom