repairing broken W202 Key fob.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I will more than likely have one,,but I am away over the weekend at the meet.

This is called a tactile switch,,any TV repair place or man will have loads of old chassis that they can take one from

Attachments

• DSC00283.jpg
    DSC00283.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 75

megah0

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 Diesel...now with less dents!
I shall investigate

A quick google has opened a whole new world!

I shall source one and put it in a safe place, cheers Malcolm

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I shall investigate

A quick google has opened a whole new world!

I shall source one and put it in a safe place, cheers Malcolm

Goood,,knowing what it is call make a big difference :D:D

Preeti

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E230 Elegance
Hi all, I have read all of your posts as i am having the exact same problem with my key fob. I have tried numerous new batteries but the red light will still not go on (tried looking through a camera lense etc).

I have a E230 Elegance estate 1997 Auto.

The lights in my rear view mirror do not flash. Occasionally the green one will flash but thats once in a blue moon.

I have never heard my alarm go off (does that mean it is disabled? if so when can i switch it on from??)

When i purchased the car the fob was not working and i was assured it only needed new batteries... obviously this was not the case so i opened the fob up as described by 'anyweb' (thanks for your illustrations-made the job much easier!) but found nothing to be wrong with the circuit board! no missing pieces came out or rattling away in there...

There was however, some weird residue of some sort - whitish in colour around the silver joints (i will take photos of it). Could this be the problem??

I also got a flat card key which i do not know what it does. I am a bit apprehensive to try it until i know exactly what it does.

I know absolutely nothing when it comes to cars! but i am trying :)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks Preeti
<<<<26yr old female having car trouble :( >>>>

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
hello and welcome to the forum. not sure what this keycard does. i dont have one for my car, but as mine is a later one, id guess its related to the alarm system. possibly to switch the alarm off in an emergency situation (broken key etc)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi all, I have read all of your posts as i am having the exact same problem with my key fob. I have tried numerous new batteries but the red light will still not go on (tried looking through a camera lense etc).

I have a E230 Elegance estate 1997 Auto.

The lights in my rear view mirror do not flash. Occasionally the green one will flash but thats once in a blue moon.

I have never heard my alarm go off (does that mean it is disabled? if so when can i switch it on from??)

When i purchased the car the fob was not working and i was assured it only needed new batteries... obviously this was not the case so i opened the fob up as described by 'anyweb' (thanks for your illustrations-made the job much easier!) but found nothing to be wrong with the circuit board! no missing pieces came out or rattling away in there...

There was however, some weird residue of some sort - whitish in colour around the silver joints (i will take photos of it). Could this be the problem??

I also got a flat card key which i do not know what it does. I am a bit apprehensive to try it until i know exactly what it does.

I know absolutely nothing when it comes to cars! but i am trying :)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks Preeti
<<<<26yr old female having car trouble :( >>>>

The flat card could mean the the car has keyless go,,is there a button on the gear shift.

The green / white powder is corrosion.

As you are not using the remote part you are welcome to send it to me to see if I can fix it

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
as Malcolm says the white is corrosion, so its very likely that your key fob was let get wet at some stage, this is not good as it could mean the chip is kaput, if it was mine i would clean the solder thoroughly and gently scrape away any whitish stuff to reveal clean joins underneath,

take Malcolm up on his offer and i'm sure he can help

cheers
niall

Preeti

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E230 Elegance
Thanks so much for all your advice.

I would definately take you up on your offer 'television'. Where abouts do you live? If in or around greater London then i can drop it off, as i have the flip out key. So will not be able to use my car.

I do not know how to attach a photo so i uploaded a pic of the keys i have on to facebook and heres the link (hope it works!):

album.php

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

You can take that key blade out of the remote,but if you have a transponder coil the car will not start without it all

I am way down on the south coast in Lyme Regis

Preeti

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E230 Elegance
UPDATE:
Hi all, just a quick update.I had to unfortunately sell my beloved e230 yesterday :(
Thank you for your help and advice.
Preeti

steve kane

Reaction score
Thank goodness for this site!!, last night my wife had great difficulty getting the remote to operate, so today I changed the batteries to no avail, so after reading this excellent post I set too and managed to prise the two halves of my key apart and out fell the little button switch. Luckily I have a very small soldering iron and was able to solder the button back into position, but its quite a fiddly job and I dont know if I would have attempted it with my regular sized iron. Now its working better than it has in a long while and I assume that the 4 terminals were detaching one at a time until it came adrift altogether. The only point I would add that might be usefull to anyone attempting this repair is; you need to sit in front of your PC and carefully look at your remote and the excellent photos on here to see where it is that it seperates otherwise its easy to try and prise apart the wrong section, I found that after some difficulty I was able to open it up by slipping a knife between the key blade and the case, gently working round towards the battery end on each side, but its clearly not easy to get apart and you will need to be careful. Good luck and once again, many thanks for posting this.
Steve.

nicki m

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180
i just want to say a big thank-you to everyone on here especially ANYWEB, i've now signed up to the forum due to the help. i recently purchased a c180, after having it for 2 months i dropped my key which broke. i had to purchase a new one (£185.00). it took 2 weeks to get here and after didn't work. i then phoned mercades and asked them what i had to do to get the key to work and they were LESS than helpfull, telling me i had to get an immobile car to them and they would try to sort it, this was after i'd told them i couldn't get it going without the key. i then checked the internet and stumbled across this forum, i have one thing to say about it 'fantastic'. my daughter in law has just purchased a merc van and i recomended this site to her. a big thank-you again even though you didn't know you were helping.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i just want to say a big thank-you to everyone on here especially ANYWEB, i've now signed up to the forum due to the help. i recently purchased a c180, after having it for 2 months i dropped my key which broke. i had to purchase a new one (£185.00). it took 2 weeks to get here and after didn't work. i then phoned mercades and asked them what i had to do to get the key to work and they were LESS than helpfull, telling me i had to get an immobile car to them and they would try to sort it, this was after i'd told them i couldn't get it going without the key. i then checked the internet and stumbled across this forum, i have one thing to say about it 'fantastic'. my daughter in law has just purchased a merc van and i recomended this site to her. a big thank-you again even though you didn't know you were helping.

Thank you nicki

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom