OP
jberks

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Ok - moving on
Got a couple of free hours this evening so...
Open the door and remove the panel as discussed. (Pic1, 2)
With the panel removed, identify the 2 multiplugs for the mirror and unplug them. Pic3,4

Attachments

• panel.JPG
    panel.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 119
  • panel_removed.JPG
    panel_removed.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 126
  • plugs_in_situ.JPG
    plugs_in_situ.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 125
  • unplugged.JPG
    unplugged.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 131
OP
jberks

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dismantled the mirror glass and housing as previous (really easy - I'm getting an old hand at this now) and manually folded the mirror back in to reveal the screws.
Removed the 3 star screws that hold the mirror to the car and take the mirror housing off the door. (pic)

Now the housing is removed, take it back to the workbench.
I tried to remove the wiring from the frame altogether but the wires are glued through a grommet and I didn't want to disturb it. However, on the bench it is much easier to work on.
I unplugged the motor but the plug is too big to withdraw, so using a smaller star bit I removed the motor (pic)

Took the wiring back as far as I could and then examined it. (pic)
As you can see, they have a rather major kink.
Gently pulling on each wire in turn, it took no effort to break them in 2. I can only assume that they'd broken through. Its quite surprising that any of it worked considering. Anyway, cut each back and soldered in a new piece before heat shrinking to seal it.

All the wires were broken so I did each in turn.
Then tape the looms back together, run the wires back into place and refasten the hinge clip.

Attachments

• remove_mirror1.JPG
    remove_mirror1.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 156
  • motor_unscrew.JPG
    motor_unscrew.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 139
  • kinked.JPG
    kinked.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 142
  • one_down.JPG
    one_down.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 144
  • wire_back_in.JPG
    wire_back_in.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
OP
jberks

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All back together.
Reattach the mirror to the car, plug back in and reassemble.
Reprogram the mirror memory if you have. It will be completely confused so don't hit the memory button to reset it, instead, set it correctly for normal and reverse operations and save them as normal.

And thats it. Tested and EVERYTHING now works perfectly. :):):)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
And very nice neat job too :D:D:D There is nothing like working on the bench

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
that is pretty much how i do them, seems like one a week at the minute. i always fold back and forth a few times to make sure all the wiring is happy, does not get trapped and bends with a nice radius.

i used to pull the wires to see which ones break, but now i just redo them all! with a very fine very multistrand cable, heat shrink and black loom tape.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

vethunt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 e320 cdi & Mg Midget
Excellent description chaps I have the same problem with a small complicating factor, I have 5 completely severed black cables. One of these was a very different length to the others so repaired and now the in /out mirror adjustment works again. Have discovered 1 - 4 on the connector to the casing. Once I get the mirror on the bench is there an easy way to determine the correct connections?
Thanks in advance.
David

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will check to see if there is any info on this

Gordon R

Reaction score
firstly, thanks to malcolm as always for sending me the details on getting it to pieces. As usual, couldn't have done it without you.

Last week i started getting warnings about the n/s mirror indicator (pic1). Folding the mirror in and out by hand i was able to get it to flash, but once fully out, it didn't. Based on this i assumed a duff wire (mirrors have been on autofold for 4 years) so this is how i fixed it.
However, these instructions also show a strip down so broken glass, broken indicator all go the same way.
1) remove glass
the glass has a spring retaining clip behind (pic2). Angle the glass down and out. You'll just be able to see the top of the inner edge. I followed the spring along and pushed it towards the front of the car until it unclipped and came off. Then jiggle and gently prise the mirror glass off the retaining lugs until it comes free (takes a bit of bravery this bit).
Once free, remove the wires for the heater pic3 (and possibly the dimmer). They're a bit reluctant but they will give. Again jiggle them!
could you please kindly explain how i get the mirror body off first as i have the same problem. Also in my other mirror the electrics have stopped working which i think is a wire break. Are these both straight forward ? Thanks gordon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent you an Email with the details on

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It was late going,,I have some problems,,look in your junk box, but another one being sent

OP
jberks

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
could you please kindly explain how i get the mirror body off first as i have the same problem. Also in my other mirror the electrics have stopped working which i think is a wire break. Are these both straight forward ? Thanks gordon

Gordon - have you looked at my pics on the DIY section? It even shows exactly how to fix it!!
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=53910
Couldn't be easier - if you have any problems let me know.

Last edited:

lutters

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W211 320cdi
J Berks diy pages are great, as i have a broken nearside indicater glass, i take it i can't just remove the cover without taking the glass out?!

regards,

John

alfiestock

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 E320cdi Estate
Hello all I have recently experienced a problem with my O/Side door mirror not closing when locking the car, after looking up previous posts regarding mirror faults I found information posted by J Berks very useful and easy to follow.The task took me about 2 hours in total but I repaired all the wires inside mirror as described, mirror now working fine and at very little cost. Just proves again how useful the information on this forum is to us all, many thanks again.

ALEX84

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
211 E320 cdi Avantgarde
does anyone know which is the actual wire for the indicator in the drivers side wing mirror? thanks

OP
jberks

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
does anyone know which is the actual wire for the indicator in the drivers side wing mirror? thanks

When you say which ....
There are 4. One doesn't appear to do much but the other 3 do as far as I could tell. If you look at the DIY, you'll see I initially twisted the broken wire back together only to find it still didn't work. I then found the rest weren't much better. Only when I repaired 3 of the 4 did the mirror work again.
In any case, why do you ask?
If any of the wires are broken, they all need fixing.
I've just fixed the driver's side on mine this week. Of 11 wires, 10 were broken. The loom that runs the glass was ok (6 ish wires) for some reason but the rest of the looms (adjuster motor plus indicator) were shot. The indicator didn't actually given any problems - I stripped it because the mirror stopped adjusting properly) but looking at the state of the wires, a fault was only weeks away.
Just gently pull on each wire in turn and watch the insulation stretch as the wire inside given no resistance.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
When you say which ....
There are 4. One doesn't appear to do much but the other 3 do as far as I could tell. If you look at the DIY, you'll see I initially twisted the broken wire back together only to find it still didn't work. I then found the rest weren't much better. Only when I repaired 3 of the 4 did the mirror work again.
In any case, why do you ask?
If any of the wires are broken, they all need fixing.
I've just fixed the driver's side on mine this week. Of 11 wires, 10 were broken. The loom that runs the glass was ok (6 ish wires) for some reason but the rest of the looms (adjuster motor plus indicator) were shot. The indicator didn't actually given any problems - I stripped it because the mirror stopped adjusting properly) but looking at the state of the wires, a fault was only weeks away.
Just gently pull on each wire in turn and watch the insulation stretch as the wire inside given no resistance.

When you replaced each of the wires this time how far back did you have to go before splicing in with cars original wires/loom?.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom