replace '96 w124 Sunroof's rubber seal

hannay

Reaction score
It was only on reading another thread here that I learned my sunroof does have a tilt option after all. Having previously assumed that it did, I assumed I was wrong when it only slid backward and forward.

On looking closer I now discover that whilst seemingly an okay fit the rubber seal around the rim of the roof-opening has dried a little and hardened a little and has shrunk a tad more than a little, which has resulted in some springing-out at the corners which at the rear-end cuts across them enough to physically restrain the roof from tilting ... in cutting the corner of the opening the rubber lies sufficiently over the radius of the sunroof's corner to hold it down.

I have tried easing the seal gently back in to its location but it does not remain there due to the shrinkage/pull ... I can seat one corner properly but then the other corner is pulled further out of place.

I expect that the drying/stiffening/shrinkage can not be reversed, and assume that a new and supple and un-shrunk seal :) will sit fully in to its seating and not interfere with the tilt action.

My question is, is this assumption correct and you only have to ease the old rubber from a channel and then push/ease/seat a new one there, three minutes and it is done, or is there more involved, dismantling, special tools/knowledge/tips?

Any observations please, has anyone possibly done this replacement even and can comment?

Assuming replacement, I'd expect one from a being-scrapped vehicle may well be okay but might only be a temporary cure depending on its age already, so for a new seal is anyone familiar with the likely cost and perhaps a sensible alternative to Dealer-supplied if this involves bars of gold?

Wisdom appreciated, thanks.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Phone a dealer with your chassis number and you'll get a price in 2 mins

I've never done one but I wouldn't underestimate the difficult of fitting it properly

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP
H

hannay

Reaction score
... I wouldn't underestimate the difficult of fitting it properly

Yes, that's the part that is exercising me the most! ... I am wondering about clips, concealed screws, even rivets! Too far down that path and I just may accept being tilt-less a little longer, though I'd much prefer to see things able to function properly!

Peeling the headlining back and dropping/disassembling the cassette for example doesn't really hold any signifgicant appeal.

Oh, and £57.50. I guess rubber doesn't grow on trees. Oh wait .....

EireJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jeep Grand Cherokee OM642 power
Hi there, I read this thread with interest last week as the 1992 E class I was buying had the same issue with one corner of the seal. I have the car now and have been doing a few small jobs to get her someway ok. The one corner of the seal was very dry and when pushed back in would come back out. What I did and it seems to have worked (will more than likely need a repeat treatment though regularly) is spray the rubber liberally with rubber and nylon lubricant (Holts stuff, I find it very good) when the sunroof is opened (not tilted), then close the sunroof and eensure the seal is seated and home correctly. Leave for a few days, the seal now stays where it should and the roof is free to tilt, open and close as it should. I hope this works for you.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi there, I read this thread with interest last week as the 1992 E class I was buying had the same issue with one corner of the seal. I have the car now and have been doing a few small jobs to get her someway ok. The one corner of the seal was very dry and when pushed back in would come back out. What I did and it seems to have worked (will more than likely need a repeat treatment though regularly) is spray the rubber liberally with rubber and nylon lubricant (Holts stuff, I find it very good) when the sunroof is opened (not tilted), then close the sunroof and eensure the seal is seated and home correctly. Leave for a few days, the seal now stays where it should and the roof is free to tilt, open and close as it should. I hope this works for you.

Thank you for that answer, and it sounds very good,,a much better job than trying to replace it. Silicon is very good on rubber

EireJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jeep Grand Cherokee OM642 power
Well the rubber and nylon treatment improves things but isn't fantastic, so I used one of my all time favourite bodges :) EP200 epoxy putty !! Only a tiny bit, applied to the top of the seal, push seal home, encourage it all the way in with the handle of a screwdriver, remove any excess putty, close sunroof and job done. You wouldn't know it was in there. I will let ye know how this lasts.

Top Bottom