Replacement HID Xenon lamps

PJayUK

Reaction score
I am getting a lamp failure warning message quite frequently now, which coincides with my nearside dipped headlamp failing and then firing back on. MB main dealer prices for replacement bulbs are quite frankly frightening, so I was thinking about alternatives.

Good old fleabay has many of these bulbs listed and the average price is around 30 quid a pair. It seems that that price I could afford to take a flyer on a pair of them and see if they fix the problem.

I was thinking of something like these http://tinyurl.com/d87fo7

What do we think of these are they worth a punt or are they to be frowned upon like the chinky MAF sensors that are sold on Ebay?

Oh, and is it an easy job to swap them? I understand the voltage considerations and having spent alot of time tinkering with Laser PSU's I feel confident enough to have a crack!

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Well, first thoughts are that simply replacing the system will not fix your problem, car headlamps dont normally fail on and off, if a bulbs gone, its gone. I think you need to check your wiring before you look any deeper into replacements. The bulb your looking at is a HID, and upgrading Halogens to HID seems to be frought with many issues from what I have read here.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Do you get any warning up when the lights are not turned on

OP
PJayUK

PJayUK

Reaction score
No I don't seem to Malcolm.

Its only when the dipped headlamps are on.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So is it the bulb or control unit, one thin for sure, do not turn them on with a bulb removed, or the burner /holder can ignite

LYNALL

Reaction score
Swap bulbs side to side and see if the problem moves if not you are prob looking at ballast unit.

Lynall

Hertfordshire Merx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160
I have had faulty xenon bulbs producing this fault before. Before committing yourself to any purchase why not swap the headlight bulbs over and see if the fault follows it... If the fault stays where it is you will more than likely require an amplifier unit which is fitted to the underside of the headlight unit.

OP
PJayUK

PJayUK

Reaction score
Ok maybe daft question, I had a look and cant quite see how they come out. Can anyone help me out with some pointers?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent you 2 papers on the lamps :D

steveatpipex

Reaction score
I have just experienced exactly the same problem - I swapped the bulbs over and the fault followed the bulb, so i bought new bulbs from Ebay at £29.99 per pair. The ones i bought were a diffrent supplier and i chose to get bulbs with the same temperature rating as standard (4300) to avoid any problems with the standard electronics and indeed the boys in blue ( i read that different temperature ratings give different coplour light which may cause problems legally, so I thought why risk it).
Anyway, the bulbs worked a treat but it turned out there was an underlying problem in that the ballast which sits under the light unit was faulty and I am in the process of sourcing a new one without paying MB £350 asking price (£127 direct from Bosch but apparently they have a contract with MB not to retail them until April this year). I have seen that these self same ballasts are also fitted to Range Rovers 2004 - 2005 (claimed £250 from a landrover dealer(?)), the same year as my CLK and are a source of frequent light failure on that marque. So, be prepared to buy the bulbs then possibly the ballast too, just in case!
see my thread http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=47002 if it helps, good luck!

Last edited:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom