Replacing a propshaft centre bearing

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
Cool, thanks. Is the boot on the joint replaced due to age and doing it as a matter of course or does it damaged in removing it? Only £2.75 from Mercedes anyway..

in recollection it didnt get damaged on mine, it just slips on. but i replaced it anyways as its only a couple of quid and you might as well.

chizzel89

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C250 Turbodiesel Sport Auto. Estate. 1998. 180,000 mls
Any special grease to use? Just normal castrol LM grease?

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
Any special grease to use? Just normal castrol LM grease?

i used that mercedes green bearing grease but to be honest its a sealed unit so its not desperately needed.

dermot dublin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180 1998 1.8 faithful friend but now retired- e200 w210 2000 avant garde
Not changing bearing

Hi, I am doing this job on Friday but got the part from Mercedes in Dublin and they only gave me the rubber mounting part, will I be able to fit this directly to the existing bearing in situ, or do I have to take the existing bearing off first ?
I,m hoping that the existing bearing is not shot !
Any thoughts would be welcome,thanks

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
Hi, I am doing this job on Friday but got the part from Mercedes in Dublin and they only gave me the rubber mounting part, will I be able to fit this directly to the existing bearing in situ, or do I have to take the existing bearing off first ?
I,m hoping that the existing bearing is not shot !
Any thoughts would be welcome,thanks

do the bearing at the same time. it should only be a tenner. you wont be able to fit it in situ. i put the bearing in the freezer and then tapped it into the housing with a socket on the outer race and a hammer . the old one should slide off the propshaft, and the replacement should slide on. there may be a ring nut to undo which is what i saw on the EPC, but mine didnt have that type of propshaft... from memory anyway, it was about 4 years ago!

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
It depends whether your prop just slides off or not. Sometimes it's necessary to take the whole thing off if you can't split it under the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
You don't need to do all that to replace the centre bearing; just take out the rear half of the prop shaft, see here:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202-c-class/1531862-center-support-bearing-1996-c220.html

I am wondering if you can get away with just removing a couple of exhaust mounts and swinging the exhaust a little to the side to save dismantling it?

Probably, it depends on the condition of the bits, and your prop - people may find that they many not need to go as far as I did - but to be fair my "how to" is the worst case scenario for part removal. Generally I favour more time removing something I might not need to rather than trying to force things. Removing the prop fully also allows you to inspect it itself too and make sure it's back together correctly.

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
Well it is the exhaust that most worries me; I really don't want to mess with that if it can be avoided.

Anyway first off I am just going to try Tiger Seal to repair the torn rubber bearing mount; I think the bearing is OK; at least I didn't hear any noise from it only knocking under the centre from the propshaft on pulling away - too much movement due to perished rubber. If that doesn't work then it will have to be rear prop section off to replace it and the bearing. Just my luck its turned freezing cold now :(

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
Just get it done when it warms up. It will just be noisy in the meantime

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom