Replacing broken bonnet catch?

PaulMdx

Reaction score
Can anyone offer advice on replacing a bonnet catch?

Apparently I don't know my own strength and managed to break the bonnet catch in my SLK. I didn't even think I was pulling that hard but the plastic that the wire fits into broke off (tiny piece of 3mm plastic).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Is it the handle end or the other end please

OP
P

PaulMdx

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It's the handle end inside the car. I've reserved the part (8 quid) from my local dealership but the girl on the phone couldn't offer any fitting advice (service dept are closed).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is only 1 screw in the center. just undo this and take the new one and work the wire in through the hole, and replace the screw

OP
P

PaulMdx

Reaction score
Many thanks Malcolm.

busby20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK's 2, CLK320 Cabriolet.
Can anyone offer advice on replacing a bonnet catch?

Apparently I don't know my own strength and managed to break the bonnet catch in my SLK. I didn't even think I was pulling that hard but the plastic that the wire fits into broke off (tiny piece of 3mm plastic).

This is a fairly common fault, I had it on my old C180, and again on one of my slk's. It may be that the cable release mechanism tightens up over time, or lack of lubrication, puts a strain on the plastic release handle causing it to break. Maybe it's a point that should be included when servicing or maintaining the car?

(PS My son also got the same fault with his Audi A4 Cabrio -so, not just a merc. fault.)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is a fairly common fault, I had it on my old C180, and again on one of my slk's. It may be that the cable release mechanism tightens up over time, or lack of lubrication, puts a strain on the plastic release handle causing it to break. Maybe it's a point that should be included when servicing or maintaining the car?

(PS My son also got the same fault with his Audi A4 Cabrio -so, not just a merc. fault.)

Thanks Busby,,I should have told Paul to lubricate the catch well under the bonnet

Ellsy Tanners

Reaction score
Tip - when unscrewed, pull the cable sleave out off the handle first, then remove the cable from the orange bit. Install in the reverse way, cable in orange handle first then pull cable sleave back and into the hole.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom